PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Shops

wolfeman131
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Saw a post about purchasing at pawn shops. Never done it myself, but what is the best thing or best deal you've gotten at a pawn shop?

sandm
01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
don't typically shop at them. have been in a couple off and on and seems that craigslist usually has what I'm in the market for and for a better price.
something a little more reassuring when buying used things to meet the owner of said merchandise for sale.

the ones in our neck of the woods specialize in 4 things: guns(don't own and don't collect), dvd/vhs/cd's, jewelry(I don't ever want to have a story of a piece of jewelry for a gf/wife traced back to a pawn shop) and tools. I prefer to buy tools new.

bergermaister
01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Buddy of mine's dad owns and runs a pawn shop - has for a few decades. His merchandise varies widely - but every time I've been there the deals don't seem any better than CL. However, he seems to have a bit of everything when it comes to tools, guns, etc. If you're in a pinch looking for something used and fast then it may be a better route than scouring CL.

Nice thing is we can sometimes "borrow" gear from the store when needed - ranging from pressure washers and tools to a quad!

jmvotto
01-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Got my kenwood 10 disc cd changer back after it was ripped fom my new Honda about 20 yrs ago. Otherwise I dont shop there.

moombadaze
01-09-2012, 08:31 PM
never been in one

KG's Supra24
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I always find myself watching Pawn Stars .... that's all I got.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
bought a shot gun in one once, dont feel like i got a very good deal though

viking
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Was doing a fundraiser for a local non-profit in downtown Billings last summer. The executor said that if anything goes missing (and it always does), the local police just go across the street to the pawn shop and most of the time it's in there. Amazing to me that most thieves are so idiotic that they don't even drive to the other end of town to hock stuff!! I guess when you need cash, you need it NOW. And probably on foot............

Hoopskier
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
There are 2 pawn shops in the local area. One local owned and the other is Pawn America. I've been in Pawn America. Only bought a DVD. Prices dont seem good, okay at best. For slightly more I could buy new, especially off internet purchases, or off craigslist. Interesting to see some of the stuff though.

sandm
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
that seems to be a business model that craigslist could make obsolete since you can sell anything on there and if it's priced right, will be gone quicker than you could drive to a pawn shop and sell. guess that's why all of them around here have started loaning on car titles. talk about a 200% interest scam...

been seeing a lot of ads for a company call tronixcountry lately as well. pull them up and look at the deals on tv's/pc's. 50" plasma plus a cheap laptop for $2100 after you pay all the fees and interest...

sled - 1
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I like looking around when I'm in one, have bought plenty of guns from them, including my sweet pre ban AR-15. As far as sporting goods go....good luck :)

Razzman
01-15-2012, 08:14 PM
You've seen nothing until you've been in a pawn in either Reno or Las Vegas! They are huge and everything under the sun is in them. It's amazing what people will pawn when they bust at the tables!

sandm
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
noted on the to-do list when I get to vegas this spring :)

rc5695
01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
I'll have to reemmber that whenever I end up in Vegas again... Good call! Lol.

I've been in a couple...I think i boiught something once, and it was OK...You just never know what you're going to get. I like eBay...at least there if it doesn't work you've got a pretty good chance of getting your money back. I've only gotten hosed on eBay a couple of times, but it was unfortunatly on my bigger purchases, 1 of which was a set of 19" wheels for my bimmer...Got hosed BIG TIME on those :( I've gotta learn i can't always be the nice guy and have to put the screws to people sometimes...

sled - 1
01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
true Ebay works most of the time and does give you some safety. I also got hosed for a KTM dirt bike for my kid, in that it never came and I never got my money back, sucks :(

ryan_8099
01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
true Ebay works most of the time and does give you some safety. I also got hosed for a KTM dirt bike for my kid, in that it never came and I never got my money back, sucks :(

That is really surprising to hear. I tried buying some wakeboard bindings on eBay and never received them. Opened up a case with eBay, they require a grace period to let you and the seller work things out. After that, they took care of me and refunded me the full amount.

sled - 1
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah it was a few years ago, tried working with the guy but then I think I waited to long to file the claim, can't really remember but I know I never got the bike

KG's Supra24
01-18-2012, 03:10 PM
My dad actually "bought" a Moomba LSV the year before I bought my boat. Turns out it was a fake ebay and paypal setup and he got HOSED. He did some things he shouldn't have done and there were some red flags he missed but still sucks none-the-less. Never saw the money again.

sandm
01-18-2012, 03:53 PM
lesson on ebay:
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS pay with credit card and never with debit or checking acct. 99% of credit cards will give you your money back and do the fighting for you once you file the initial dispute. I have been burned 3x on ebay. 2x with credit card and received the cash back on my acct. in under 2 weeks. 1st time was with a checking acct. out that money. if they are scamming and pull the cash out of the paypal acct, ebay/paypal claim they will help you, but they can/will only give you back what you lost if it's still in their acct. no cash left, you might win the dispute, but you won't see any refund..

Razzman
01-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I've got something like 130+ ebay transactions and never had a bad one yet, but then I do research their feedback and if they have less than 100 feednacks or less than 98% satisfaction I don't buy from them period. I also only use PayPal to pay and have never had issues. I did have one gomer whom after winning and recieving an iphone i sold on ebay tried to scam me saying he never got it. One email telling him I had a delivery reciept and i never heard from him again lol!

sandm
01-18-2012, 07:21 PM
just be careful razz...
as with anything, the business of helping those scam has grown. if you want a new ebay userid with 100+ feedback, will cost you around $10. there are a bunch of sellers out there that will sell you a "book", aka a piece of paper emailed for .01 and leave you pos. feedback. I bought a faucet from a guy in colorado that showed 175 and 100% positive. after waiting 2 weeks and no communication, filed claim and looked at the actual feedback. was all a scam. all his feedback was from book auctions for under $.05 each. he got 11 people. my cc was quick with refund and done :)

sled - 1
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM
I have used Gunbroker.com to sell some guns. One guy paid with a CC and I sent the gun. A few weeks later his wife saw the statement and the guy BS'd his wife and said it was a scam. thank goodness I had a delivery confirmation. In this case he paid through Paypal with his CC and paypal stuck me out to dry even though I had all the proof

lsvboombox
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I have used Gunbroker.com to sell some guns. One guy paid with a CC and I sent the gun. A few weeks later his wife saw the statement and the guy BS'd his wife and said it was a scam. thank goodness I had a delivery confirmation. In this case he paid through Paypal with his CC and paypal stuck me out to dry even though I had all the proof

Paypal does not support guns sales. They will reverse transactions if they find out it was a firearm. Ebay and paypal are douchebags about firearms. I actually sold a barrett m107 on gunbroker and did the transaction as a sale of a car on paypal. They called up and hassled both myself and the buyer because of the large dollar figure, they wanted vin numbers and make and model. I lucked out that time but if use paypal for firearms or ammo dont expect them to help you out..

wolfeman131
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Hope you got the Barrett out on the range before you sold it. That gun is literally a blast to shoot. Favorite targets for that gun are pumpkins on top of cement blocks. After exploding the pumpkins, it's fun to then turn the block into a pile of dust. It's been 2 years since I last shot one. Gun wasn't set up for me and in my excitement I didn't check clearances. Ended up driving the scope ring into the bridge of my nose and split it wide open along with breaking my shooting specs. It was worth it to hear the "man, that's badass" when walking off the firing line.

chawk610
01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Did some shooting over Thanksgiving... we had pumpkins, but the most fun to shoot was the frozen gallons of water! That was my first time shooting a .44 revolver! I fell in love!

lsvboombox
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Yes i put a ton ammo thru the 50. I actually loaded my lwn rounds and sold them as well so i shot for just about free. Never shot any of my other guns after playing with barrett. Nothing compares.. Desperately trying to get behind a lahti l-39....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/DSC_0873.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/DSC_0899.jpg

wolfeman131
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Desperately trying to get behind a lahti l-39....

I might be able to help you with that one. You know that gun is literally a BEAST! I think it weighs over 100lbs.

I was able to participate in a few very cool experiences going on 15 yrs ago. My friend has massive collection of firearms and he was contacted by Skywalker Sound (a George Lucas company) who Steven Speilberg had hired for the movies Saving Private Ryan and later Pearl Harbor. We had era-specific firearms from tommy guns to .50 cals to German anti-tank artillary that we blasted off for days so they could capture the authentic sounds. It was awesome!

lsvboombox
01-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes its 109 pounds.

For those unaware here it is

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=safari&q=lahti%20l39&sa=N&biw=480&bih=208#i=1

Would love to squeeze off a round

rc5695
01-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I was able to participate in a few very cool experiences going on 15 yrs ago. My friend has massive collection of firearms and he was contacted by Skywalker Sound (a George Lucas company) who Steven Speilberg had hired for the movies Saving Private Ryan and later Pearl Harbor. We had era-specific firearms from tommy guns to .50 cals to German anti-tank artillary that we blasted off for days so they could capture the authentic sounds. It was awesome!

Sweet!!! :)