PDA

View Full Version : 2K Outback LS

liquidcat
05-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Recently my engine has been shutting down out of the blue.
I changed my fuel pump and still get no justice.

This would be my third tank, after winterizing. however I never really let it get empty.
I just found out about vapor lock would this be it?
Any suggestions will be higly appreciated.

JRd

james yarosz
05-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Does it shut down instantly or loose power slowly and shut down. Vapor lock would probally loose power slowly,if it shuts down instantly it sounds more like an electrical problem. Does it restart right away?

NH Moomba
05-29-2005, 10:28 AM
My 2k ls started shutting down suddenly and it turned out to be because the impeller was shot. On MPI engines, there is a feature that reduces power when the engine gets hot. I'm not sure if carbs or TBI's have this feature but you might check into it. It could be malfunctioning. Just a thought.

BLKOUTLS
05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
liquidcat,
You dont mention whether you are able to restart right after or not? does it die quickly or sputter then die out. If you just replaced the fuel pump and it is operating then it may be a couple of other issues.
#1 fuel pump cutoff switch based on oil pressure located on the back below the distributor.
#2 kink in the fuel line
#3 main cable connection to the engine located below distributor. large round cable.can make intermitent connection some times.
#4 antisiphon valve at tank best left to the dealer.

just some thoughts
chris

liquidcat
06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Chris thanks for your reply.

I just now had a chance tyo take my boat out.
I put a wire tiw ti hold the harness plug in place, made sure no kinks in gas line.
I tried starting it and nothing. I did realize that gas is not being sprayed in the carb.

How do I begin troubleshooting?

liquidcat
06-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Chris thanks for your reply.

I just now had a chance to take my boat out.
I put a wire tie to hold the harness plug in place, made sure no kinks in gas line.
I tried starting it and nothing. I did realize that gas is not being sprayed in the carb.

How do I begin troubleshooting?

Buttafewcoe
06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
If you can hear the fuel pump run, the pump should be ok. You can take the fuel line off the pump (between the pump and the gas tank) to see if the pump has sucked the gas out of the line. If no gas is present there, the your problem is probably the anti-syphon valve at the top of the gas tank. It's stuck shut, not letting gas out of the tank.
If gas is standing in the line, then it's probably not the anti-syphon valve. I recently had a similar issue, which was the valve. hope this helps.
Jim
North Carolina

tygger6069
06-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Liquidcat,

You might check the oil pressure fuel pump cutoff wiring next to the distributor on your motor. It will have 3 wires coming out of it, if that sending unit is bad, it will shut the fuel pump off. Just a thought, hope this helps. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Tygger

BLKOUTLS
06-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Liquidcat,
Have you had any luck yet or is the boat still not running. As Tygger and I threw out it may be the oil pressure fuel pump cutoff switch. When mine died at the beginning of the season from this it would run great and just die. We'd get a set and out of the blue the boat would stall out and not restart. When you turn the key and try to start the boat do you hear the fuel pump kind of a funny whine sound. If you try to start the boat and release the key to the run position you usually will hear the pump run for 1-2 seconds then cutoff.The start position jumps past the cutoff switch side that is why there are 2 wires on the one side of the switch, the single wire is 12 volts in the run positionand it only passes when there is sustained oil pressure in the engine. a safety feature protects the engine if most of the oil blows out or get plugged and such. The switch is fairly cheap any where from 17.00-25.00 bucks its worth a try.

chris