PDA

View Full Version : LSV Slalom Wake

tarheelskier
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I know there are a few guys who pull open water slalom sets behind their LSV. If anyone has video of a set or their wake at slalom speed, I would appreciate it if you could post it up. Thinking 07-10 LSV hull. Still leaning toward the OBV, but would love the extra space of the LSV. Reasonable slalom wake (no course-running) is a must for us. I know I just need to test drive both, but may just eliminate the LSV prior to driving.

Thanks for posting any videos you may have!

tarheelskier
01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Come on guys, I know there are some open-water skiers out there with LSVs. Nobody have video of their wake?

BensonWdby
01-10-2012, 08:59 AM
I have never seen them, but I have a hard time believing that a V-hull has a reasonable wake for slalom, except maybe at open slalom speed - 36mph. I have a 99 Mobius DD which is basically an OB. Love the boat and the wake is good at/over 30. But beware of the 22 off bump. I recently starting running the course at 22 off behind a different boat. Then went back to open water on my boat at 22 off. I now remember why I ski 28 off in open water. The 22 off bump behind my boat is really bad at 34 mph - way worse than any wake issues.

dru1974
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Have you ever thought about getting the ls. I got mine because I wanted a good crossover boat with room. It's lived up to everything I wanted.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.989168,-110.722627

rdlangston13
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I have never seen them, but I have a hard time believing that a V-hull has a reasonable wake for slalom, except maybe at open slalom speed - 36mph.

my lsv has a pretty flat hull from about mid ship on back

skiyaker
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
your handle and post imply that skiing is quite important to you- I certainly would not want any wake bigger than my OBV, and in fact I'm in the process of finding a different solution for my skiing needs. I've had guys with really good technique run the course behind my boat, and I think my boat is fun to ski behind in open water at faster speeds. I will say though there are some direct drives just as good/bad as my OBV- an early 2000s malibu (?sunsetter) that I skied behind comes to mind so ski it before you buy it. These are wake shots of my OBV- LSV will be bigger

BensonWdby
01-12-2012, 12:43 AM
I think there are a lot of characteristics to a wake besides its size. What do we mean by size anyhow? Are we talking height above the lake surface? or height to the bottom of the outside troughs? Or height to the inside trough? Or width from wake-to-wake? or the width from the the outside of first trough to the outside of the second? We have taken a lot of video and I have watched a lot of instructional video. I think the depth of the outside trough on the second wake is a key contributor to nasty out-the-front crashes. It is here where most of us struggle with the transition to the inside edge and are most vulnerable to minor fluctuations in support under the ski.
The really great skiers can deal with all of it or so it seems.
I have seen video of friends who I consider pretty good, in what appears to be a good run, but when you slow it down their ski is at 30-45 degrees off the center bump.
No answers - more questions.
Best advice is to ski it if you can.
skiyaker - what boat speed are your photos? Looks like 15 off?

One thing I did notice is that with the pylon further back in the boat it looks like the 22 bump may actually be at 28 off?? So if you never plan to go short might not be such a big issue.

skiyaker
01-12-2012, 08:02 AM
All good thoughts- Dave- might I add that the worst thing about the V Drive wake is that it is rock freaking hard. When I was working through my ankle issues I just couldn't deal with it. And you're correct about the trough too- that's a major problem- it's one of those things I'm only a fall or two away from being a surfer so when I'm behind my boat I just take it easy and have fun.

Speed 32 mph; first pic is 15 off;second and third are 22 off. You're correct about the pylon placement- 22 off is a lot better than 15 off; haven't tried 28 off yet- not sure why just haven't.

tarheelskier
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Benson and Skiyaker. Agree with ski it before you buy it, and will have to do that, just want some general thoughts. I know the LSV is primarily a wake boat, but need to balance a lot of things, ski, wake for kids, space, comfort, etc. Thanks for the input and if anyone has video that would be great to see.

Garn
01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I have on 07 LS direct drive. I am strictly a slalom skier. I ski mine in our clubs course on a regular basis. It is not a Response or Natique, but it does a fine job. When in the course I only allow no more than three people in the boat and I take all the extra toys (hydrofoil, kneeboard, etc) out and set them on our club's dock, and then I adjust the wakeplate down so the rear of the boat is up. This results in a very course-skiable wake. I would say the biggest difference between it and something like an Outback DD or Response is the wake is a little bit stiffer on mine. But this is a good compromise. I go to Lake Powell and Lake Mead 3 -4 times a year. In a pure ski boat I would be swamping the thing when in the open channel at Powell. But with slightly higher sidewalls on my LS and more of a V in front, I do ok in the really rough stuff.

Garn

Grant M
01-14-2012, 12:07 AM
https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150585670116894

Here is a bad video of me skiing with 5 people in the boat at 31 mph on a 1st run on a ski I had rented.

tarheelskier
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Grant, thanks for posting, that is a big help...anyone else got videos out there?

BensonWdby
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Whe you watch this video try to pause it jsut as the skier hits the wake - from either side. You will see the effects of the wake if you are not in a strong position. That looks like a pretty big wake to me.

tarheelskier
01-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Grant, does the boat in this video have a wake plate?

sled - 1
01-16-2012, 11:09 AM
OK time to chime in. What you need to remember is that a good slalom skier can ski most wakes becasue his technique is sound. However if you have never been coached or just follow the boat around and go from side to side you may and I stress may not have the technique that will get you through the LSV wake with any kind of proficiancy.

In my group there are 2 of us with prpoper technique and 2 without. Strangley the 2 with proper technique have had coaching. Anywho the guys with the weak technique struggle with crossing even behind boats with almost non existant wakes.

Anther thing is speed, unless you are going to get up to 34 - 36 mph which is where even the outback truely shines it is going to be even worse. I would venture an LSV load with toys and people for the day and a 12 yr old skiing at say 24 mph would be looking at one intimidating wall of water

Grant M
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Grant, does the boat in this video have a wake plate?

Yes the wakeplate is down, the only thing that I see improving the wake would be less people and more speed, I pull my wife at around 26 mph and it is a pretty big wake at that speed.