PDA

View Full Version : Drillmaster worth it?

bkearney
01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a coupon for HarbourFreight and I was looking at their 7in polisher/sander. I only need it to try and clean up some oxidation on the boat. However, I am a bit leary of spending any money on a cheap tool.

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks in advance.

-- bk

bergermaister
01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I have a DrillMaster angle grinder that I use cutoff wheels on and have ran the hell out of it the last couple years. Has held up as good as my Craftsman angle grinder that I use for grinding. If it's something you'll only use once or twice a year it may be worth the gamble going cheap. If it's more a more regularly used tool it's worth it to spend a little extra IMO. I can't complain though.

newty
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
If its the orange chicago tool... run! I bought one, plugged it in, and it started smoking. I returned it and got another one. I pulled this one a part first and found the wires were in the same position as the last. Right against a moving part. I moved the wires around and it worked but it's always sounded like it was going to fall a part at any moment. Spend the extra money and buy a good one. Look on Craigslist for used ones. There are always good tools on craigslist.

muehlcj
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I can’t speak about the quality of the tool in question. I did however purchase the Meguiar’s Professional Dual Action Polisher http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4821 as well as their Fiberglass Restoration System http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4671. I used it this fall and the results were amazing. I have a 2006 Outback and when I was finished it looked like it just came out of the showroom. I didn’t have any previous experience with polishers or products before this. Hope this helps. I was extremely worried/nervous that I would end up with swirling but I took it slow and it really worked out great!

kaneboats
01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Second on the "chicago" tools from there. I got the sawzall and it was junk after one cut. Their air fittings all leak air too. Chinese crap.

rc5695
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
run, forrest, run!!!!!!

Chinese junk. Nothing electric from HF for me again...

Razzman
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
On the flip side I have three different Chicago electric tools in the garage to include a polisher, all have worked flawlessly for over three years. If i was using them for heavy duty use I would buy something else, but for occasional use they do fine imo. I polish the boat twice a year with the polisher and have no issues at all.

New Guy
01-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Hit up your local pawn shops. Lots of construction companies going out.

newty
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Hit up your local pawn shops. Lots of construction companies going out.

Good call. I was just in parusing AR's at the local pawn shop and they had 3 good polishers for around $100 each.

kaneboats
01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I've picked up lots of roofing nailers at the pawn shops. We use them on the houses for the poor. Keep 'em oiled and only use them on a job every other month or so, so they'll last forever.

bkearney
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
So far, I have been using the tool with the Mequiars fiberglass system (49, 45, and 56) and the results are great. I need to wet sand some of the worst oxidation (1000 and 1500 grit) but the end result is great.

mmandley
01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a coupon for HarbourFreight and I was looking at their 7in polisher/sander. I only need it to try and clean up some oxidation on the boat. However, I am a bit leary of spending any money on a cheap tool.

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks in advance.

-- bk

I got this exact one from Claudia a couple Christmas's ago and its pretty sweet, she also got me the Crasftman orbital buffer, thats nice to. I prefer the orbital on the cars, and the polisher for the boat.

bbuhtz
01-24-2012, 10:53 AM
I also got one of these polisher/sanders from Harbor Freight for Christmas a year ago and right out of the box it shit the bed. Save youself some money and a headache and stay away from this cheap tool!