PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of somone converting a Kanga to an Outback?

boomba
01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking of buying a family members 1999 Moomba. They say it is a Moomba Outback. But they sent pictures and it apears that the walk through to the front could have been cut out as if it did not exist at one time. It also has Moomba Kanga decals on the side. The pics are clear but they are taken from outside the boat. Has anyone heard of someone converting a Kanga to an Outback? Is this even possible or safe? All the cushions are out for winterizing and it appears to have a normal Outback style open bow. However, I can see thorugh the walk-thru to the area under the steering console. If you give me your email I can send you the pics. Not sure how to post on here.

wolfeman131
01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
This would be too good of a project for us to watch & help with for you not to post pics! Here is a link that will walk you thru how to post pics.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?5629-How-To-Post-full-size-pictures-in-a-thread...

maxpower220
01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Anything is possible.........with enough money. Safe????? It ain't getting any safer. I would really like to see pictures of this boat. Close bow boats are part of the structure and are rigid through that design. cutting that up is possible, but there would need to be some type of reinforcement to keep the boat rigid across the beam. If not, there would be a lot of flex in the boat, this would show itself in the walk-through window frame not working correctly or having a lot movement side to side.

kaneboats
01-04-2012, 12:33 PM
It's possible they used the same "hull" part and the "top" makes no difference. But, why mess around with it? There are tons of DD boats for sale. You can find a perfect one without much trouble.

sandm
01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I think I'd pass on that project.
structural issues can open up a huge can of worms..

boomba
01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Here are the pictures they sent of the boat. Does it look like it has been cut out? I think the open area is normally closed but he said something about having that area re-upholstered or something like that.
http://www.netskate.com/moomba/moomba1.jpg
http://www.netskate.com/moomba/moomba2.jpg

lsvboombox
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Looks like a 4x4 piece of wood holding the console up. Unless the family member is giving u the boat I would look elsewhere.

And if my eyes are working it looks like that is a bottle opener screwed to the wood post.. Lol

wolfeman131
01-04-2012, 10:59 PM
And if my eyes are working it looks like that is a bottle opener screwed to the wood post.. Lol

We need some more pics of this. Looks like this boat may be in North Carolina? A sawzall can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

jmvotto
01-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Pass pass pass.

You can see under the helm from the walk through. You can also see the fiber glass color change up near the windsheild, where the bow seats are shaped in. Could be my eyes but yep thats an PBR opener. LOL

zabooda
01-05-2012, 01:07 AM
That it a extremely rare PBR Limited Edition Kanga. The first one was a cut away for display purposes.

Hoopskier
01-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Unless the family member is giving u the boat I would look elsewhere.

^This

I would pass. All I see is a boat load of problems with a modified hull. Especially if this sale/transaction is with a family member. As others have said, lots of other good boats out there.

maxpower220
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM

That is a feature that every boat should have, what an upgrade.

KSmith
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I'd run not walk away.

chawk610
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
"a bottle opener screwed to the wood post.. Lol"
Great eye... I had to go back and look LMFAO! Genius comes in all forms I reckon!

sandm
01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd run not walk away.

run away... far away and quickly...

unless you are getting the boat for any price under $2k and don't ever plan on using the tower. I would think that the "modifications" to the top deck and possibly the hull would have some serious repricussions to the use of the tower to tow..

wolfeman131
01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_HIcE_TIE

and remember . . .

stupid is as stupid does

boomba
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Okay, I'm with you guys. I was sort of wondering why he was going to sell it to me so cheap. He was only asking $8k. Guess I'll keep looking. Thanks.

sandm
01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
8k??

good luck with that sale...

although there is the old phrase about one being born every minute :)

wolfeman131
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
but it comes with a built-in bottle opener!

bergermaister
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I mounted a bottle opener to the bottom side of the cushion that covers the built-in cooler. Flip up, grab beverage, open and let lid fall right back into cooler, flip cushion back down and enjoy.

Best $1.59 mod I've ever done!

sandm
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
We have a no glass rule on our lake, so a useless mod......:)

iwaterskihard
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
8K? Really? You're kidding? Yes look around as for 8K you can get yourself into a decent DD ski boat that you wouldn't have to do any work too other than load it up with gas, gear, and beer then hit then water.
One thing that strikes me as odd in this scenerio is the windshield is a walk through and the open bow portion doesn't seem to be a "project in the making". Not being familiar with some of these older models did this boat actually have a stepover into the open bow?
At any rate keep looking.......you'll be glad you did I believe?

skiyaker
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I thought this tread was ed reincarnated as a joke until I saw the pics

Jet
01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
WOW! He did that all wrong. The top is like a egg shell once you break it (or cut the center in half) you have broken the rigitity that holds it together. He simply could have made it a walk over, not a walk thru and it would be OK. Now its messed up. There is no bracing in the middle to hold the boat up and I'll bet it sags now. And now you need to add ballast to it??????????????????????? LMAO. No way man..no way.

moombadaze
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
i'd take it for free if it ran good. Then I'd go find a outback with blown motor and no tower and do a swap, then use that cut up pile for scrap

E4NASH
01-08-2012, 09:45 AM
We have a no glass rule on our lake, so a useless mod......:)

Yep! No glass in the boat here. Glass in the boat leads to glass in the feet....not good!

wolfeman131
01-08-2012, 10:28 AM
No glass in the boat here.

Ah, need I remind you that you have NO boat! See ya at the boat show this weekend! :)