PDA

View Full Version : Engine ID: 325 vs 340 HP MPI

Ian Brantford
05-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Howdy folks. I am checking out my new 2005 XLV for a couple of days here at the dealer. Everything looks fine so far. One thing that I expected to see in large print on top of the engine was the power rating -- to make sure that the factory installed the right one! :-)

It is obviously not the carb engine. However, I see no visible way to distinguish between the 325 and 340 HP MPI engines. The only difference that I can see in the owner's manual is that the 325 has a 70 amp alternator, while the 340 has a 90 amp model. I'll look for that, but I don't assume that it will have a clearly labelled capacity on it.

Is there a known visible difference that I can check?

Thanx
Ian

seanpatsdad
05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Ian
Is the 325 a Throttle Body Injection and the 340 a multi port injection.If that is the case look for the fuel injectors.I am not sure on this but just a thought.
John

Ian Brantford
05-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. Apparently the TBI was replaced with a 325HP MPI for the 2005 model year. So, that unfortunately takes away a qualitative difference. Well, that's only unfortunate for me (who ordered 340HP), not for those who ordered 325. :-)

Ian

clark
05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Correct. Both the 325 and 340 are both MPI. I also was wondering the same thing on my 325 HP engine. I sent an email to Indmar with the engine serial number and they can tell you. As I remember it, the 340 also has the new XTR exhaust manifolds.

Clark

seanpatsdad
05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Ian
Thanks for that info.I did not know that.That does sound like a good deal for the 325 guys.I still have a carb.
John

Ian Brantford
05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I might email Indmar. For the moment, I'll believe the WOT engine speed. I was able to rack up enough break-in time on the lake today that I am past the RPM-restricted part of it. My WOT is 5000 RPM, right in the middle of the expected range for 340HP (325 range is 4400-4800, 340 range is 4800-5200).

Ian

doug0446
05-25-2005, 10:12 PM
I am thinking of getting a XLV with a 340. It is $1200 more than a 325. Do you think it is worth the extra money?

smokedog2
05-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Some boat magazine earlier this year listed the 5 top things that help resale.

Bimini, tower, and horsepower were three. I do not recall the other two.

Oh, fuel injection I think.

SD2

Ian Brantford
05-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Yes, HP is a big selling point -- at least big chunks of it are. I am not sure how much of a difference a 325 vs 340 (both MPI) makes in resale value. This is a big boat, so more is better. Certainly, the previous years' 320 HP TBI would be considered worth notably less than either MPI.

In real-life performance, it might not make a big difference for wakeboarding. Maybe someone who has actually TRIED an XLV under load could horn in and say how much that last bit of space at the top end helps them (say, from getting bogged down in a turn). I am still breaking mine in. I can say that in straightforward travel (no load, on plane), those extra 400 RPM give you just a few extra MPH, with a sharp increase in noise and fuel consumption at WOT. I.e. my 340 HP, if I leave it just shy (say, at 4600 RPM) of the top end, is almost as fast, and could be run comfortably for longer.

As for the price difference, I got the maximum available for this big boat, considering $1200 to be random noise amongst the various other costs. Since I never water tested the XLV (I only test drove an LSV), I didn't want to be left with some (repeated) situation of wondering "gee, I wonder if that marginal manouvre would have gone better with the 340?"

At the time before I put in my order, my dealer thought that the 5.7L 385 HP and the 8.1L 425 HP would be available for the XLV for the 2005 model year. I disregarded the 385 (no more torque, say hello to burnt heads), and neither turned out to be available anyway. I'm happy with the 340 so far.

Ian

chpprpilot
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
I can give you my opinion based on 35 hours of use this season on my 05 XLV:
The fully weighted XLV is a BIG boat. Load on some passengers and you truly have an amazing wake, but with the 325 MPI is feels a little underpowered. It still gets the job done but it feels like work and takes some time to plane out. 'Course I had the throttle body 325HP on my Outback LS and loved it for the responsiveness and extra power, so I may have been a little spoiled. I don't know just how much difference 15 HP can make, especially for an additional $1200, but when you're driving a purposely loaded boat with lots of starts and stops then the more HP available the better.
Bottom line: I'd load one up and test drive it before you buy. I absolutely LOVE the boat though...:)