PDA

View Full Version : Slalom wake behind XLV gravity games?

Paterpop
12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
We are selling our 2000 Outback DD to upgrade to a 2007 XLV Gravity. My kids are great on the wakeboard, but I'm a skier. What's the wake like at skiing speeds...32-34 mph? I know it's not gonna be like my Outback, but don't really know what to expect.

Thanks for any input!

Bryan Pate
2000 Outback DD
2007 Suburban LTZ

jmb
12-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't knoiw if I would have gotten rid of the Outback. I put a bigger bag in mine. I like what I have so far but I am not a kid either. The wake that I have is a little intimidating.

Nobodyrides4Free
12-30-2011, 11:10 PM
My 02 Mobius is 21 and a half long holds 12 people and one of my friends salom skis beheind it all the time. He says its pretty good. Cant imagine the XLV being that bad, its not that much longer. I want to up-Grade to XLV too.What color is your XLV going to be? Have your eye on one? Post pics!

rdlangston13
12-31-2011, 01:57 AM
I went to our local dealer yesterday and they had an xlv sitting next to an lsv and man did it dwarf the LSV. I think the xlv is bigger in more ways than just length. It made my boat seem very small

Ian Brantford
12-31-2011, 03:12 AM
I tried towing a slalom skier a few years back. I have a 2005 XLV with the 340 HP engine. The skier was about 210 lbs and could REALLY pull hard. I think that he might have been bionic. I pretty much had to red-line it just to maintain 31-32 MPH. Possibly it would have done better with the original prop with 17.5" pitch (mine's a wakeboard prop with 14" pitch, which is great for wakeboarding speeds with lots of ballast).

That's the first and last time that I try to tow an expert slalom skier! The XLV's hull just isn't made for it. It's great for plowing through water and throwing a wake. It's not so good at high speed when the stern is being dragged down.

skiyaker
12-31-2011, 09:19 AM
probably depends on how you ski- until I got my moomba skiing for us meant skiing behing a bass tracker deck boat- we would just get outside the wake and pull hard and see how big of a spray we could make. once I got my OBV I began liking the feel of pulling through the wake; then I got addicted to the course and now I'm waiting on word from my dealer regarding trading my OBV in on a direct drive.

so if you like pulling hard through the wake I would definitely ski it before you buy it! Shoot you're down in Bama? go for a ski this weekend!

Mikey
12-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Any boat is skiable but these two boats are worlds apart on What you should expect when skiing. Really depends on what your priorities are but One is a SKI boat the Other a Wake boat.

You already have a boat Great for skiing and capable of adding Wake for Wakeboarding and Surfing. XlV is a Great WAKE Boat ,average Surf boat as i'm told and skiing is Doable at best. Slalom Course ? Not Likely.Maybe its not too late to reconsider or hopefully you have friends with Ski boats when you need Your SKI FIX. Good Luck .... TWO Good boats just different purposes. Enjoy Either one.

01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I have an 08 XLV and I have towed a slalom skier and he said it was ok. I wakeboard %90 and surf the other 10, no skiing on our boat normally but it was able to pull him no problem. For wakeboarding and surfing though, you will love it plus the size is just so nice to have with more then 3 or 4 people imo.