PDA

View Full Version : sky ski -- too cool

captainfun
05-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I wish I had tried using hydrofoils years ago. As soon as I’m done riding, I can\'t wait to get back on. My wife and daughter are riding it as well. Once you try one of these you\'ll be hooked. It does not have to be a radical ride; just sailing around at 12 mph can be a lot of fun. I have taught over a dozen people how to ride it and most of them were kids under 14. If you are out with the family skiing, you need one of these toys.

I took a great picture of my daughter riding the foil and sent it into Overtons. Look at the attached picture and compare it to the catalog. My daughter (and me) think it’s pretty cool she’s on the Overton\'s catalog riding a foil.

Captainfun

seanpatsdad
05-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Your right.Sky Skiing is a blast.Been doing for about 5 years now.What state are you in.
John

captainfun
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi John,

I from Lockport, Ny, although I do must my water sports in Dorset, Ontario.

What state are you in and have you mastered a flip yet?

Cap-fun

seanpatsdad
05-26-2005, 08:43 AM
captainfun
I can do wake back rolls ,gainers,air rolls,and front rolls.If you go to yahoo and join[free]the hydofoil groups.There is alot of people on this list that can help you learning and chances are you can post were you live and there will be someone in your area.I am south of Indianapolis,IN about 35 miles.
John

SkiKY
05-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Are the skis affected much by rough water since the foil is underwater?

captainfun
05-26-2005, 07:32 PM
When water skiing or boarding is out of the question due to chop the foil glides over them with easy. I now longer worry about good water conditions.

Capfun

05-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi folks,

I'm considering getting a Sky Ski. I've looked at the skyski web site and there are lots of options.

Any tips on what options I should start with? I've done a few years of wakeboarding/skiing/kneeboarding and I'm competent but not amazing at those.

In particular I was wondering if it's worth shelling out for the shock absorber option.

Thanks!
DB

Darren
05-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi folks,

I'm considering getting a Sky Ski. I've looked at the skyski web site and there are lots of options.

Any tips on what options I should start with? I've done a few years of wakeboarding/skiing/kneeboarding and I'm competent but not amazing at those.

In particular I was wondering if it's worth shelling out for the shock absorber option.

Thanks!
DB

PS Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm trying again now that I've registered.

seanpatsdad
05-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Darren
What state are you in?The shock tower saves the back for sure.If you are near Indy come on out and I'll give you a pull.
John

Darren
05-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks very much for the kind offer. If I were in the area I'd take you up on it, but I'm way up in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (near Quebec).

Browsing around the skyski web site, things seem to get very expensive very fast if you start assembling your own board. I'm thinking of going for the entry level "Hydro Flite" model. I can't see myself getting more than 5 feet out of the water (being a bit chicken), so I'm not sure if I need the shock-aborber seat. I can't find the exact details but the better seats seem to be close to the price of the Hydro Flite itself!

It's available here for cheaper than on the sky ski site:

http://foil-n.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10-0700&cat=17

Does anybody kow foil-n.com? They're probably respectable, but I've never heard of them before today.

Rob-MobiusLS
05-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Are any of you familiar with AIR CHAIR? They appear to be the original hydrofoil. Their foil and suspension system seem to be quite different from SKY SKI.
[url=www.airchair.com]

Darren
05-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks Rob,

I'd heard of them a while back but hadn't checked recently. They don't post a price for a full model, but I've emailed them to inquire.

Apparently it's better than everyone else's. Funny, that's what SkySki said :)

seanpatsdad
05-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Darren
Stay away from the hydro flite.It is entry level at best.You won't be able to jump with it.Get at least the Pro ST or the new B-39.It is all Billet not cast.Foil-N-.com is good.I bought some stuff from him last week.Also www.cinchmax.com or www. eastcoasthydrofoils.com.Very good dealers.On another subject ,I hope the NHL gets the CBA done so we can see some hockey next year.GO LEAFS.[disregard if your not a hockey fan]Keep me updated and ask any questions if you have any.
John

Darren
05-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks once again SPD.

I see a Sky Ski Pro for $1199 (top left here: http://eastcoasthydrofoils.com/_wsn/page2.html )

I take it the S/T designation you mentioned is for Shock Tower, and I assume that's it in the top right corner (shown without the Shock Tower for some reason). Is that correct? I'm assuming that the $1699 price tag for the S/T is everything I need to ride (except the boat), not just what's shown.

The B39 looks nice, but it's $2500 (Yikes) and is a new model that may have some kinks to work out, so I'm a bit leary of shelling out that much cash for something I can't try out beforehand.

BTW what exactly does "billet" mean? I tried the dictionary but I doubt it actually means "a piece of wood" in this context.

OnTheH20
05-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Alternate definition for billet:
(1) A small, usually rectangular bar of iron or steel in an intermediate stage of manufacture.
(2) A small ingot of nonferrous metal.

Basically, the two parts of the foil are cut-out from "bricks" of material. Manufactured parts which used to be made by connecting (bolts, weld, glue, whatever) several smaller pieces can now be created using computer-driven manufacturing tools.

American Chopper often show this process using billet discs to make rims for their bikes. Pretty cool stuff (plus the arguments between father and son are top-notch.)

seanpatsdad
05-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Darren
The new skis are made from billet aluminum[7075 I think?]The old skis were cast.The ST does stand for shock tower.Tim at EastCoast is a real good guy to deal with.Give him a call with any questions.Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.My family and I were out skiing on the empty lake all day.
John

Darren
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the definitions of "billet", guys. And John, that's a tough life.

I got a response to my inquiry about the competing Air Chair. They have a "Stealth" model for $1300. It apparently has interchangeable blades to adjust from a flate-blade beginner ride to curved-blade advanced ride. This model didn't mention "billet" though. Their $2900 V38 did about 10 times, and in fact refers to a "billet cast" which they say is as strong as "True Machined Billet". They say that all aluminum is cast at some point or another (it doesn't come out of the earth in a big ingot), which is a good point.

Does anyone have any experience with the Air Chair, either model?

seanpatsdad
06-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Darren
I have owned a Air chair.I rode a V-38 last year.The V-38 is a good ski.The Stealth is a very twitchy ski from what I am told.I have never rode one.The V-38 and the B-39 are in competition with one another.I like Sky Ski brand.
John

Darren
06-02-2005, 11:28 AM
OK, I'm narrowing down my search. I'm leaning toward the SkySki brand.

This article was very helpful: http://www.foilfreaks.com/articles/acfaq/acfaq.htm

I have more research to do, but that article tends to support my feeling that the AirChair site had a strong marketing bent.

So I suspect my most likely purchase would be the Ski Ski Pro S/T. Maybe the B39 launch, but I'm not sure what the extra $700 buys me at this point.

Is the anodizing worth it? I take it that's an anti-rust scheme? Or is it just to look nice?

seanpatsdad
06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
darren
The B-39 has a longer strut so maybe the cost is there.Not really sure.Anordizing does add some flair to the ski.I just had mine re-ano here locally for $100.00.It is aluminum so it will not rust.From the people that ride the Pro S/T that have written about it on the Yahoo Groups they love it.The B-39 is a new model this year so there is not much written about it yet.You should really join that discussion group and see if there are any riders in your area.Most of the people will go out there way to get you on a ski.
John

Darren
06-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Yes, I just joined that yahoo group and posted a message. I'm getting flooded with opinions, which is great!

Thanks for the info... I'm learning.

captainfun
06-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Ok, I was out this past weekend on my Sky ski. I'm running at about 22-24 mph.
The bottom of the foil is at least 8' in the air during wake jumps. I land must of my jumps. I watched a demo video on how to do rolls. It’s not working. I had to stop trying to recover from landing upside down to many times.

John,
Send me a link to one of those yahoo groups. I need someone to show me the ropes. Need to find someone around Buffalo, Rochester or Huntsville, Muskoka to help me out.

I'm getting back into the saddle again on Sunday; if I don't post again, send flowers.

Darryl

seanpatsdad
06-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Darryl
Here is the link.http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil/.I think you have to sign up to join{free}.Good luck this weekend.
John

mobiusLSV05
06-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Saw a guy doing this recently, thought he was out of his mind. Every time he went in and out of the wake, he came crashing down from about 4-5ft in the air. Never saw him make it-- alot of pulling out, rather be riding behind the boat than drinking the water!!!

captainfun
06-06-2005, 07:50 PM
I survived the weekend but have nothing to brag about unless we are showing of action marks, aka bruises. I could not complete a roll. I'm thinking I should try a roll on a wake jump. I would have a lot more air to work with. Pls take a look at the picture and let me know if you see any wrong with my positioning. That's if I can get the picture to load!

Thanks
Darryl

Ok got it....

Darren
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Captain Fun,

I've never tried it but I'm pretty sure that's wrong ;)

One thing that I wondered from looking at the rope -- is it non-stretch? I was told it's vital to have a completely non-stretch rope because a springy one will pull you off balance in the air.

BTW I've ordered my new SS Pro S/T. It's being anodized today and I should have it in another week or so.

06-09-2005, 07:44 PM
I am using a non-stretch rope. The trick is not to accelerate by pulling on the rpoe during the lunch. I am going to try it from the wake and see what happens.

Enjoy the new foil Darren and don't forget to put a brain cage on!

Any pointers John...

capfun