PDA

View Full Version : New Tow Vehicle Help

snyderaaron
12-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, got a new 2012 Chevy Silverado. Was looking at some splash guards and wondering if they are hard to install? Here's what I'm looking at. Let me know if how difficult it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Splash-Guards-Rear-Set-Contoured-Bowtie-LOGO-/190500654875?hash=item2c5ab94f1b&item=190500654875&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

gus 08 mobius lsv
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
you can see a pic of my truck in my pics on profile i have silverado z71 and have about the identical things on all 4 tires they were already on my truck when i bought it but it looks like 3 screws hold it on and pretty simple to do. i have some aggressive tread on my tires live on a farm and hunt a lot and they don't really do as much as i'd like them too. not sure what kind of tread your truck has or will have when you wear the factory rubber out but consider something else to protect the boat esp if your on any gravel roads to your lake

mmandley
12-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Most screw in to pre existing hole in the fender edge. Turn front wheels to access and remove rear wheels to access. Some times drilling the holes is required. All depends on brand.

KG's Supra24
12-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I just gave some of those away a couple weeks ago when I sold my step rails! Wish I would have held onto them.

FWIW, I have oversized tires and those did not stop any mud/rocks. Hopefully they work a little better with the factory setup?

Mike is right, There are likely predrilled holes at the location. Either way, it is just a screw the sheetmetal and the plastic is lined up to where it pretty much only fits one way.

rsinger
12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I've got a 2007 and put them on myself. I had to take the tires of to drill the holes for the screws, as there weren't any pre drilled holes. Other than that, it wasn't too big a deal. If you got pre drilled holes you'll only need a short enough screw driver or a ratchet with a screw driver end that'll fit in one of the sockets.

jpetty3023
12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Throw some pics of your truck up. I can look at trucks/boats all day long

rc5695
12-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Looks super easy me...If there are already some holes in your truck fender where they mount, just drill holes in the mudflaps to match. Otherwise just run a couple self-tappers thru both the mudflaps and the fender. A small pilot hole drilled will make the self-tappers a little easier, keeping them from walking on ya.

Oh, depending on how much room there is, it is usually much easier to do with the tire removed so you can get right in there and get a straight shot at it.