PDA

View Full Version : Creative Speaker use?

Brianinpdx
12-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Since its off season, I figured you all can have a laugh with me...

I always get guys suggesting that Exile make some type of mount system so that the speakers could be transferred from one location to the next--- like a boat to a garage and be reused. We'll I can't say that we've come out with a product like that but it did inspire me to make a wall mount system for my office :)

thought I'd post up a few pics of my new digs. We've moved to a new location and did some build outs of the office space. I'm proud to say the walls are up, wired for sound and the offices are sporting marine audio systems. Check it out...

My office-- don't mind my half eaten lunch on my desk
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/photo1-1.jpg

Every office needs rack mounted surfboards eh?
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/photo3-1.jpg

One of the designers office
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k491/brianinpdx/photo4.jpg

Figured you'd all get a chuckle or two.... Now where to mount the next surfboards arriving next week. Gotta think about that!

-Brian

jmvotto
12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
wheres the sub??

Like the creativity

Brianinpdx
12-22-2011, 12:30 AM
The sub you say.. oh come on those towers play down to 20 hz right? (cough cough).

Well the sub is going to be a part II. see that big black box in the right lower part of the picture? Thats an enclosure I built about 10 years ago for a ces display that never got used. That damn thing weighs probably 100 lbs, ok maybe 80lbs. The enclosure is so overbuilt its crazy. So when I have a moment, I'll drop a 12 in each of them. (I've 2). I'll post up some pics in a week or so...hehe!

-Brian

chawk610
12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I LOVE IT!!! Very cool looking!

newty
12-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Thats awesome Brian. I have the first set of tower speakers I made hanging in my garage for tunes.

Jet
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I like it..very cool idea.

KG's Supra24
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Are those speakers powered with an amp? I have a couple amps and speakers laying around and I've always wondered if there is an easy way to plug and amp into a 110 outlet.

Nice addition, I wouldn't mind having some tower speakers in the office!

Brianinpdx
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Newty Post up some garage pics. Figured this thread might stir up some creative pics.

@ KG; all of those offices are powered by separate zone control and connected to basically a home theater system. You could use your 12V amplifier in this way but you'd have to hook it up to a power supply. And that power supply wold probably cost as much as the amp itself. not to cost effective to spend more money to use the stuff you already got.

Happy holidays everyone

-Brian

philwsailz
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
On the topic of creative speaker use....

I as well as several of our engineers are real audio tweaks... I want to show my latest home/studio speakers, as well as one of our Acoustic Engineer's totally over-the top use of some of our gear.

First couple of pics are of my recording studio/home theater monitors. These are built from our tower horn components as the 6-pack. The cabinets are from Parts Express, (Curved 1.0 cu. ft. Cherry) as are the terminals and the flared port kit. I am running them off of 4 channels of an Adcom GFA7000 home theater amp in my living room at the moment. The amp is rated at 130 RMS into 8-ohms but I am showing 4-ohms to each channel so I am probably getting more like 175 out of the amp per channel. 350 wats a side, into a set of speakers that were designed to be ultra-effecient from the get-go... Yes, it can get QUITE loud.

Here are the pics. Enjoy! :D

Phil
Kicker

philwsailz
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
The second set of pics show what you can do if you really do own and wear a beanie hat with a propeller on top. Our acoustic engineer who did much of the design work on these horns has built an over-the-top home theater system using the horn componenet for all 5, (or 7?) channels of his home theater. The included images show his front left and front right pair... The cabinets are his design and he buil them and then had them sanded, filled, primed and sprayed with what is I think a base/clear automotive finish. Despite having a pair of 12's in each cabinet, know that he is still working on building the subwoofer to go with these.... I would be concerned about foundation cracking personally but hey...

I have no clue what he has connected to these in the way of power amps, but I am guessing I would not want to pay his electric bill

Enjoy!

Phil
Kicker

KG's Supra24
12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I figured that's how you had it rigged up. That's how I've tested speakers in the past. Guess I was hoping there was an easy way to plug an amp in. Sounds like there is an it's expensive. awww well.

EarmarkMarine
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Just for fun.

New Guy
12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Damn you guys with too much time and money!

Nice setups everyone though.

EarmarkMarine
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Now keep in mind that Phil purchased his enclosures.
I sat in a rockin' chair on my porch along side my red bone coon dog, chewin' and whittled my enclosures with a pocket knife out of a solid block of cherry wood.

philwsailz
12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Now keep in mind that Phil purchased his enclosures.
I sat in a rockin' chair on my porch along side my red bone coon dog, chewin' and whittled my enclosures with a pocket knife out of a solid block of cherry wood.

Heh heh heh... I still had to mill out the holes in the cabinet baffles... I used a router.

Brianinpdx
12-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Actually I was thinking Phils enclosures are damn nice looking coming out of "parts express"? Really? haha cool!

And bravo to everyones setups! I have to say, I put away all My Mac home gear when my twin boys turned age 1. Two years later, the whole home theater still remains in the attic. (sigh).

-Brian

philwsailz
12-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Actually I was thinking Phils enclosures are damn nice looking coming out of "parts express"? Really? haha cool!

And bravo to everyones setups! I have to say, I put away all My Mac home gear when my twin boys turned age 1. Two years later, the whole home theater still remains in the attic. (sigh).

-Brian

For those unfamiliar with Parts Express, it is a great place to go search for bargains, search for real cool tweak audio stuff, or go get replacement parts or even get your old good-sounding vintage speakers re-coned.

If you want to build a single-ended triode vacuum tube amplifier or a more efficient pentode push-pull amp you can buy the plans, parts and or kits to make it real. Parts Express is what Radio Shack used to be, specifically a place to go buy parts to build something... To check them out, consider building something you want/need. They have a great DIY home speaker section complete with kits.

Brian laughs, but it is a neat place to go indulge your audio fantasies. You want to replicate my build? Post up and I will guide you

Phil
Kicker

Brianinpdx
12-28-2011, 01:27 AM
I agree with you Phil, they really are the radioshack of the new. I used to call on them (and wholesale house) in my past life at PG. Seemed like every time I'd go there, they would double in size. But there offerings have gotten better and better. As for my audio fantasies, they are put on hold until the kids get out of the strike zone ages -- safe and sound in the attic. Great speakers you built! -Brian