PDA

View Full Version : Switch to dripless

KG's Supra24
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Who has made the switch from the old style packing to the dripless?

I am going to have to repack my older style over the winter and curious if I should just switch to dripless and whether or not its worth the cost.

sandm
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I have heard to go with some teflon coated seals that don't need changing near as often as the standard wax cord. look at that route. you can do a lot of changeouts for the cost of the dripless.

Razzman
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Your right on that one, but then I have absolutely no water in my bilge either nor the hassle of changing out the packing. Gotta way the pro and cons.

sandm
12-06-2011, 08:00 PM
water in the bilge is no biggie for me. that's what you have a bilge for :) seems that water gets in there from ballast, wet peeps on the rear hatch.. etc....

dealer here quoted me $75 for packing cord irregardless of whether they supply the basic wax cord or I provide the teflon stuff which is fairly cheap.. I would think you could do that change 4 times for the cost of a dripless setup. if you only do the teflon cord every 3 years, you are now beyond where most would keep the boat..

either way, a personal preference..

Razzman
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
The PSS dripless runs under $200 and the OJ around $160, not as bad as you'd think it is.

rdlangston13
12-06-2011, 11:03 PM
How often to the dripless seals need to be replaced if at all?

KG's Supra24
12-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the dealer qouted me even less than 160 (not including labor).

That was my reasoning for considering the switch.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DOCDRS
12-07-2011, 12:18 AM
How often to the dripless seals need to be replaced if at all?

They should last 350-500+ hours depending on alignment and cool water housing cooling. If you can align your shaft you can do the conversion. It sure is nice to have a dry and clean bilge imo.

Inliner
12-07-2011, 06:54 AM
I have been using dripless for 2 years now and like it. No worries about repacking or anything. I get water in the bilge from everything else. It is just nice to not have to worry about repacking it anymore.

sandm
12-07-2011, 01:03 PM
hmm..

dealer here was tossing around $400 numbers right after I bought the boat. that's a much more manageable price and def. is worth a look..

i'm with inliner tho as it seems there's always water getting in there from something. noobs driving the boat during surfing seems to be the most common :)

KG's Supra24
12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
They should last 350-500+ hours depending on alignment and cool water housing cooling. If you can align your shaft you can do the conversion. It sure is nice to have a dry and clean bilge imo.

I'm around 430 so that makes sense!

Sandm, I'm actually running back up to the dealers today and I'll double check what he told me.

dusty2221
12-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm around 430 so that makes sense!

Sandm, I'm actually running back up to the dealers today.

Smh smh smh

Sent from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

newty
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
If you're looking for some dripless underwear, KG's mom has an extra pair or two!

rdlangston13
12-07-2011, 02:00 PM

pretty sure my shaft seal is not leaking and my bilge is NEVER dry do to people climbing in and out of the boat dropping with water all the time.

i was never able to align my shaft due to the engine just wouldnt move. ill pay the dealer to try this winter

DOCDRS
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
pretty sure my shaft seal is not leaking and my bilge is NEVER dry do to people climbing in and out of the boat dropping with water all the time.

i was never able to align my shaft due to the engine just wouldnt move. ill pay the dealer to try this winter

Persuasion my friend is best accomplished with a crow bar and hammer taping

KG's Supra24
12-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Dealer here said the system was $150 and then 1.5 to 2 hours of labor.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

zabooda
12-08-2011, 03:43 AM
I went to a graphite cord about seven years ago and haven't done a thing with it since and no dripping. Teflon is more prevalent now.

sandm
12-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Dealer here said the system was $150 and then 1.5 to 2 hours of labor.

so $3-400 depending on shop labor rates.
I'm all about the dyi, but aligning the engine is something that I'd rather pay for as I would assume the repricussions of it being wrong are quite expensive :(

rdlangston13
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Persuasion my friend is best accomplished with a crow bar and hammer taping

i used persuasion in the form of a 4 foot pry bar and a 3 lb sledge and got nothing

DOCDRS
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
i used persuasion in the form of a 4 foot pry bar and a 3 lb sledge and got nothing
with the pins loose prying on the motor mount as you tap the trunnion it did not move? something does not sound right

rdlangston13
12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
with the pins loose prying on the motor mount as you tap the trunnion it did not move? something does not sound right

pins loose, prying on the motor mount and tapping the trunnions as well as the pry bar...

DOCDRS
12-10-2011, 11:49 AM
pins loose, prying on the motor mount and tapping the trunnions as well as the pry bar...

mine was stubborn but it did move once I started tapping the trunnions. Maybe some pb blaster or similar as it must be rust frozen. I am assuming both port and starboard sides are loose when your doing this and that you could get neither to move. My hardest part was getting a good footing with the crowbar so I could put some serious pressure on the two. I couldnt get it to budge till I started tapping on the engine mount stud.