PDA

View Full Version : 01 Outback FUEL/WATER problems

jeffreyala
05-23-2005, 10:55 AM
seem to be having some problems with water getting in my fuel on my 01 Outback. I think it all started when the small glass inline filter got loose and sucked some water up and caused the boat to die. I thought it felt a little loose. After cleaning it out it took quite awhile to get running. We ran the boat around the lake everything was ok. That night I put in a bottle of HEET and filled the tank..........just incase.

We get to the lake the following weekend and the boat starts up and just dies. Then will not run at all. I take the boat home and put it on the fake a lake and get the boat running by pouring fresh gas in the carb. Another Sunday down the drain

Has anyone had any fuel/water issues? I am wondering if it is getting into the tank through the vents in the gas cap????? What is the easiest way to drain the tank? Also it is completely full, do you think if I siphon with a hose at the bottom of the tank that it will get the water first as water is heavier than fuel?

Does anyone here use an aftermarket fuel/water separator, if so where can I get one???

Thanks!

seanpatsdad
05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
I added one to my boat[04 Mob LSV]Bought it at Carquest.I did not like how the stock fuel filter was located in the bilge.I relocated it also.
John

jeffreyala
05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any issues before installing the new filter?

seanpatsdad
05-23-2005, 07:31 PM
No,I just did not like the filter sitting in the bilge.It would be sitting in any water that was in the bilge.Just not a good idea in my opinion.
John

BLKOUTLS
05-24-2005, 10:03 AM
jefferyala,
first I'm not sure but I dont think those glass filters are certified for inboard's
someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'd get it out to start. I do not think water got back into your tank the antisiphon valve would stop that from happening.

Does the boat start on its own or do you have to pour fuel into the carb bowls to get it running. (careful thats why there are flame arrestors) does it stay running after or die out.
could be fuel pump,filter or fuel pump cutoff switch .throw a little more info out.
chris

smokedog2
05-24-2005, 11:31 AM
yep,

fuel pump or vac line pulled or broken at the fitting during the other operation are my guess.

I guarantee you can set a motor on fire pouring fuel in a carb. Ben there done that.

SD2

seanpatsdad
05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Smokedog
I have a friend that while pouring fuel in the carb,another guy was cranking the motor over-backfired-my buddy fell backwards and got fuel on his upper body, lit him up and he recieved 2nd and 3rd degree burns.This was on a car, but the same can happen on a boat.Very dangerous.Be safe.
John

smokedog2
05-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Car here too. I did not get burned but probably should have. If gas were invented today it would never be legal.

SD2

jeffreyala
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi guys,

Yesterday I siphoned out the tank from the bottom with some hose and did not see any water. The boat started and ran fine yesterday after sitting all week. I think there may have been some residual water left in the fuel pump. Last week before we got it running by pouring the gas in I took the lines off the fuel pump and what fuel came out was very cloudy. I am going to take her out today and hopefully all is well. Will post the outcome.

I will NOT pour gas directly into the carb now!!! :) Thanks for the warning.

Is there a procedure for testing the pump and cutoff switch?

What does the stock fuel filter look like? Is it plastic?

Jeff

liquidcat
05-28-2005, 12:26 AM
did that do the job for you becasue Im havingthe same problem.
I changed my fuel pump and we were riding and all of a sudden engine no go.

jeffreyala
05-30-2005, 02:49 PM
I drained around 3 gallons out and let some settle in a jar and didn't see any water. I took the boat for a long tow to slosh up the remainder of the fuel and then ran it on the fake a lake with no problems.

Took it out on the real lake today and after 15 minutes it crapped out. It bogs down and dies. We we able to get it started and it ran ok for about 15-20 minutes more and then it bogged down and died again. I gave up and got a tow in............

I am draining the tank completely as I type this.

Can anyone help me Tshoot the pressure switch and fuel pump????

06-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I can jump the fuel pressure switch and the pump will run. I have voltage at the pump with the key on..........

I put a new check valve at the tank pickup.

I drained the tank completely and found some water. I hope that was it. Lake testing it tonight.

Any other ideas???

Jeff

jeffreyala
06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I drained the tank completely and found about 48 ounces of water in it.

I changed the check valve at the fuel pickup just incase. I can jump the pressure switch and the fuel pump runs fine. Do you think these are ok, or could they work sporadically?

I am going on a lake test tonight. I guess I'll bring some paddles and my trusty trolling motor incase I can't get a tow................

Jeff

jeffreyala
06-01-2005, 08:52 PM
She ran great. It was the bad gas/water.

seanpatsdad
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Jeff
Glad to hear it worked out for you.Good work.
John

JAMAHO
04-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Jeff, is this a repeat problem you are having?

I have an 01 outback as well and have had the same problem at least 3 times in the last 2 years. I know it is water getting in the gas but I'm not sure how it gets there. One posibility is it comes in through the tank vent valve on the passenger side, water does spray up the side when the boat is a little lop sided. It sure would be nice to know what is causing the water to get in the gas. BTW, I don't use marina gas.

Anyway, when it does happen, the boat wont run or barely runs, I pump lots of gas and water out of the tank (or the dealer does this for me but I'm tired of paying him), change the filter, and then had to the lake. When I get to the lake, I have to run it for about 30-40 minets sputtering and caughing before it will actually run good. Then, I don't have a problem again for several months. Lately, I've been adding HEET to the tank every other time I fill it.

If anybody has suggestions or knows what is going on I'd appreaciate the feedback.

jeffreyala
04-16-2006, 06:53 AM
I solved the issue by purchasing a wakesetter. :)

Actually, when I owned the boat, I was able to fix the issue by adding a marine fuel water seperator. You can get the kit at advanced auto.

I think the water was getting in there from the tank vent just like you mentioned.

JAMAHO
04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I guess I'll give the marine fuel water seperator a try. I wish I could solve the problem the same way you did but the wife won't even let me think of it.... :)

Thanks.

DOCDRS
04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
why not just add stp gas tx now and then, we all know about the condensation issues and boats so be preventive, I do it regularly and never had an issue