PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump Problem?

scott016
05-23-2005, 12:46 AM
I just bought a brand new 2005 Outback LSV. I took the boat out for the first time this past weekend and after the dealer took us through a run through we began to finish the break in period for the engine. After about 3 hours we brought the boat into our lift to put some things in the boat for future use and the storage area in the middle of the boat was full of water. Took the covers off the engine compartments and it was full of water too. I then went to the dash and tried to turn the bilge pump on manually and it wouldn’t work. I then pressed the circuit breaker and the pump turned on for about 30 seconds and then the breaker popped again. I couldn’t get the pump to stay on for a long time period. Any ideas on what is wrong? Second should there really be that much water in the bottom of my boat is there a possible leak somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

lowdrag
05-23-2005, 01:48 AM
If the pump works and then kicks the breaker, you may want to check and see if there is any debris that is getting sucked into it and jamming it up. There's usually some stuff left behind after construction that will come floating out when you get some water in there.

Describe what you mean by full of water. Having an inch or two in there would be that unusual, but if the entire hull area was filled I'd start looking for a problem. My first thing would be to check the ballast system. If something wasn't hooking up at the factory or came loose and the solenoid isn't switched correctly, you could be taking in water from it while moving, just like like other people who have had problems with their bags filling while moving.

Buttafewcoe
05-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Lowdrag is right........there wasn't a lot of debris, but there was some. I made sure the intake on the bilge pump was clear and the float wasn't sticking. Works like a champ...
If your ballast system is plumbed in correctly, there is a valve with a handle @ the intake for the ballast system. I have made a habit of closing that valve when not using the ballast. At higher speeds, I think mine is/was forcing water into the system if I leave the valve open. Lower speeds didn't seem to be a problem. But, when not in use, with the valve closed, the bilge stays pretty dry (except for the ice melting in the cooler:p )
Jim
Hickory, North Carolina

smokedog2
05-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Where is that guy from Canada that has his 05 boat parked on the water for 6 weeks?

Has he left for the lake yet? I hope he gets to call me a worry wart. Even while at the lake I’ve been known to go check on the boat in the middle of the night.

My six-year-old daughter & I are sneaking out Friday for her first ride in the new boat.

I is about time.

SD2

Buttafewcoe
05-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Hopefully, he went to the lake. Geez, it would kill me, I couldn't sleep at night.

scott016
05-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.
What I mean by a lot of water is, the entire storage in the middle of the boat, which is long enough to store skis, to the left of the driver was entirely full of water. I do not have any ballast tanks installed so that can’t be the problem. That just seems like a lot of water got into the boat. I saw a lot of debris in the water which wasn’t put in by us, so I will definitely clean that out.

MEDIC151
05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
That is alot of water if your ski locker is the same size as my 02 Mobius. I would check all the spots on the underside of the hull that have something going thru such as the speedo paddle wheels etc. The shaft packing nut could be pouring water in as well. Mine needs to be snugged up since it is a small steady stream instead of the slow drip.

That would have to be very loose though to allow that much water in.

smokedog2
05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Yep, find the leak. Unless you were crashing waves and it was raining.

You may not have a ballast tank, but you may have a ballast hole in your hull. Just a thought.

It would not be unreasonable to ask your dealer to take a look at the various conections.

Brian calls these “water differentials.”

SD2

(sorry Brian, it was just too easy)

WakeMe
05-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Why would you have a ballast hole with out a ballast system?

Buttafewcoe
05-24-2005, 06:26 AM
In case it could be added, or you wanted to add it later?;)

silverski
05-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Are you sure it wasn't full of water before you picked it up? Mine was left in the rain and had considerable water in because it wasn't covered properly. I have found that there is places for the water to "hide". Once I got that original water out, mine has been fine.

scott016
05-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I am pretty sure it was dry before we started. Before we started the motor on the water, the dealer showed us all the storage areas including the ski locker, and they were all dry. He also showed us where the bilge pump was, and there was little to no water. I contacted the dealer yesterday, and they plan on picking it up and looking at the boat today.

tygger6069
05-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Scott016,

Just a thought, did you put the drain pluggs in on you new toy? Just thought that I would throw that out as a suggestion. Have forgotten to put the drain plug in a couple of times myself, but the bilge would kick on and let us know. Now my wife ALWAYS ask me if the PLUG is in!!! Hope this helps and enjoy the new toy.

scott016
05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I just got a phone call from the dealer, and our boat is supposedly now working. The problem with the bilge pump was some paint came off in the engine compartment and somehow affected the bilge pump, causing it to pop the circuit breaker. The problem with all the water in the boat was caused by a loose water intake hose. Now the boat should be fine the dealer says. Thanks for all the replies.