PDA

View Full Version : Engine fog!

rdlangston13
12-03-2011, 02:17 AM
How many of you fog with fuel injection??

mmandley
12-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I do not, as my local dealer said they stoped Foggin fuel injected engines.

cab13367
12-03-2011, 04:25 AM
The Indmar manual that came with my boat says to fog so I do.

mmandley
12-03-2011, 06:26 AM
The Indmar manual that came with my boat says to fog so I do.

I know Al and so does mine, we have this same question every winter LOL. The first winter after i bought my boat AWS winterized it and said they dont use the Fog anymore on fuel injection due to it can clog the injector tips since there port injected.

I know your fog yours each year and never had a problem LOL.

Same posts different year LOL.

Its really up to you Dave, i personaly dont fog mine, like i posted last year i have had several muscle cars that would sit for 6 months at a time and never foged them, never even added fuel treatments just removed the battery.

I stick with what my dealer told me and they said Fogging isnt nessisary on FI engines, and anything i dont have to add to my engine is ok with me.

DOCDRS
12-03-2011, 10:45 AM
The reason to fog is to protect the upper cylinder and upper rings from oxidation and corrosion during a prolonged layup. All engines 2 and 4 stroke should have this done to prolong the life of these components. Fuel injector tips wont become clogged from doing this. I could go into a lengthy discussion as to why but its just common sense really. If you are worried then you should fog the only true and proper way...into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole. The true controversy is in cat engines where the oxygen sensors may become contaminated from the burning fogging oil. Thus again to fog these engines it is critical to do it thru the spark plug holes. When fogging correctly after removing all plugs and spraying fogging oil into the cylinders, the engine should be bumped over with throttle at flooded engine mode, then the plugs reinstalled after this. .02

As a note to this, I have direct injection motors where the injectors are in the cylinder head and still fog these motors. If an injector can withstand combustion it can withstand a little fogging oil on it. Our motors are multiport (intake manifold) ie pre cylinder so fogging oil in thru the plug hole will come no where close to the injectors so another fallacy perpetuated by an unknowledgeable lazy mechanic. .02 more

DOCDRS
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
While I'm on a roll, since it only takes a few days for corrosion to start in a moist environment, there are some who advocate the fogging ring protection on motors that are going to be on lay up for anytime greater than 2 weeks. Although unpractical on our boats this is a common practice on high performance seadoos.

deerfield
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
rd - I fog, pulling each plug and spraying direct into the cylinder. Then, remove the ignition safety lanyard and crank the engine. Mine is an '07 Outback w/ 325 EFI. - Deerfield

rdlangston13
12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Winterizing has begun!

harmsway
12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
1 more for fogging. I tend to believe Indmar over a technician that wants to take a short cut because he is being paid by how many hours he turns.

rdlangston13
12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
The front plug on the vdrive will NOT come out. Can I get away with just removing the hose and the rear plug?

DOCDRS
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Yes, remove the hose first , then put a shop vac and blow or suc out the vdrive thru the hose hook up.......then remove the rear plug and see how much water comes out......you will never remove that pita plug again!!

rdlangston13
12-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Ok I didn't get this until I was done but with the front hose off and the rear plug out not much water came out, maybe like 2 ounces. I unhooked the the house at the impeller before I messed with the vdrive so I think most of the water drained out then. Does that sound okay? I hear vdrive are expensive

DOCDRS
12-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok I didn't get this until I was done but with the front hose off and the rear plug out not much water came out, maybe like 2 ounces. I unhooked the the house at the impeller before I messed with the vdrive so I think most of the water drained out then. Does that sound okay? I hear vdrive are expensive

Yes you will be fine. The first time I did it I had already disconnected both hoses on the Vdrive and blown it out with a shop vac. I then undid both drain plugs and NO water came out. That was the last time I undid them, now I just unhook both sides and blow it out with my shop vac. The rear plug is lower than the front due to the angle of the vdrive as well.

jmb
12-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I guess you should fog in your boat in the summer time also if you don't use it but a couple of times. I guess I don't under stand all this fogging. I just start mine about once a month and let it warm up and then just redrain the engine. I have done this for 6 years now and 20 years with my last boat and had no problems. I think it is better to run it than just to let it set.

NCSUmoomba
12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I fog mine just like the owner manual directs. Down into the trottle body while running, and then a shot into each spark plug hole.

cab13367
12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess you should fog in your boat in the summer time also if you don't use it but a couple of times. I guess I don't under stand all this fogging. I just start mine about once a month and let it warm up and then just redrain the engine. I have done this for 6 years now and 20 years with my last boat and had no problems. I think it is better to run it than just to let it set.

Jack,

For some (me included), pulling the boat out once a month to start it then redraiining the engine is a big hassle. It's much easier to put in a little more work up front then forget about it until spring.

Al

sandm
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
not all of us have a pretty new shop to work on our boats as well ;)

it's a pita to work on the boat when the air temps are hovering around 25 right now.

I fog by pulling the spark plugs as well. figure you can't go wrong if you follow the indmar manual. those guys have a lot more combined knowledge than most boat dealership repair shops..

jmb
12-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, I suppose I could agree with that. My boat is just about due for a start as a matter of fact but it is at the dealer getting a couple of things done. I hope to get it back next week. Had a new rope seal installed. Wish I had a dripless seal but maybe nexgt year. I have had to shell out quite a bit of my money on this tornado crap. Had hime put some new carpet on the front bunks.

Jet
12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree with Docdrs. I normally dont fog (boat only down 2-3 mo) but Its not going to hurt the injector and the benifits WAY out weight the fear part. I did fog this year because my motor has been pulled for so long. I normally only drain the water out of the eng parts for winter. your really fine if you do or if you dont.