PDA

View Full Version : Washable Covers

snyderaaron
11-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I got my boat back from the deal and my cover is pretty dirty. Can you wash these in the washing machine?

mmandley
11-24-2011, 03:08 AM
If your refering to the Moomba logo covers? No i dont think thats a good idea, they are treated with a water repellent and washing would effect that id expect. I am not positive just my thoughts here.

What i do with mine is put it on the boat and wash it like i would my boat or truck with a water hose, soft brush like the ones at the car wash.

My cover has a ratcheting tie down in the rear and i wouldnt want that banging around in my washer or dryer, i really dont like rethreading it threw the cover. LOL

Hoopskier
11-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I have the original grey cover with the Moomba logo screen print on it. I have never washed it til this year. For me, I figured it was 8 yrs old, and worth taking a chance. Since the cover was to big to fit in my standard washing maching, I went to the laundry mat. I used a machine that said 35 lb limit. Cost about $4.50 in quarters and used standard laundry deterget. It came out just fine, looked fairly clean and smelled good. The spin cycle took care of most of the water. I did put it in the dryer on Med. for about 10-12 min. That got it about 1/2 to 3/4 dry. I just laid it out on the floor over night to finish drying.

My cover lives inside a garage so most of the dirtyness it just dust accumilation. For me I dont see a need to do this often. In my opinion at the age of my cover, if there was a water repellant coating, it was well worn off prior to washing.

The only question mark in the cover I found was a tiny snag mark after I washed and put it back on the boat. I can not verify if it was there prior to washing since the cover was not used during the summer. I believe it was there prior though.

Mikey
11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I would treat it with a water repellant . Various brands out there you just spray on to Rewater proof it. I keep my boat outdoors so i clean like mentioned above then rewaterproof every season before winterizing.

I must mention that i add a second heavy duty tarp over top during the winter as the snow and grit etc would be quite harsh.My tarp(s) are 5 years old and still wearing well.If you get snags or tears etc , Take care of them immediately as they can disintegrate on you very quickly, Especially if pulling down the highway as i found out the hard way years ago on a previous boat.

An ounce of prevention = a pound or more of cure.Good luck.