PDA

View Full Version : ski deck

SoTX
05-18-2005, 11:35 AM
OK
What is the deal with the rubber on the ski platform rubbing off on everthing and getting all over my Outback. This sucks big time. I have sent an e-mail to customer service asking them for some input but I have not heard back from them yet. Does anyone know how to stop this? My Outback is an 04.
Thanks in advance

qb12
05-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Sotx.

I had the same problem on my 02. I sprayed a clear enamel that I bought at Walmart.

No more problems.

OnTheH20
05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Did the enamel make the platform lose any grip?

I've got small girls (and their friends) that love to play off the back of the boat. I'd hate to return one of the kids to their parents with stitches.

qb12
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Sorry SOTEX AND ONETHEH20.

I just ran to my house to check and make sure what I used. It was Minwax Plyurethane Clear Satin spray. And no it is not slick. It seem to just keep the black crap from getting on the back of the boat and everywhere else. Don't know how long it will last but have put about 15 hrs on the boat since I did it and still good.

Hope this helps. Doug

seanpatsdad
05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
I used this on my swim deck.Looks and last great.good grip no stain. http://www.airjunky.com/traxxed
John

SoTX
05-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Yea John
I ordered some a couple days ago. Looks like good stuff. Thanks

clark
05-20-2005, 02:33 PM
On an earlier board that this was an issue and thought it had been corrected. I have an 05 LSV and I have the same problem. I would think that I should not have to go out and spend extra to get something else to take of this problem. I am having the same problem with mine. It looks pretty nasty when my kids climb back in from the lake and that black water gets everywhere. Moomba,,,, what is the scoop? And what is the solution???

Clark

SoTX
05-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Yea I have emailed M00MBA 3 days ago and have not recieved a responce.

jperry
02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, if anyone has any responses from Moomba, let me know. I'm having the same issues...

qb12
02-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Jim, Boy putting up the post fast.

On my old Outback I ended up taking the black mat off and went with the traxx that airjunky.com sales. It was so cool looking and I had no problems with it one bit.

Hoping that I don't have this problem on the new platform.

jperry
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks, I can't really go out and do that right now, I think I'll do the spray lacquer thing or something. Every time it gets wet and my kids or me get on the platform to get into the ski, that black crap gets all over the boat. I had the original matt changed the first year I had it in for service because it was bubbling up everywhere. Then they put the new 04 (i guess) stuff on there. Now, it just leaves black crap everywhere.

Jim

mattva65
02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Did anyone ever get a response from Moomba on this issue ?

BensonWdby
02-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I would be interested in if the folks with this problem are leaving their boat on a lift, or otherwise outdoors for the sun to hit the platform. I have the rubber on my '99 mobius. We get a little transfer once in a while, but it has increased now that I have the boat on a lift all summer. It used to be it was only in the sun on weekends, in garage otherwise.

I bet it is simple oxidation, like you get from any rubber surface that is expposed to sunlight on going. This would suggest that if you scrubbed it, and then kept it covered, you might not get as much oxidation...

Just a thought...

Dave

SoTX
02-23-2006, 09:38 AM
I started this thread last year and this problem was on my first Moomba. I had my Outback for one year and last summer I upgraded to the XLV Gravity Games edition. Any how I had my outback for about 3 months and I was cleaning it up after a fun weekend. I washed and waxed the boat and cleaned the ski platform. Then I put vynal protectant on the rubber of the ski platform. From that point on it was black footprints all the time. I swear I washed that rubber and scrubbed it a million times but could not get this condition from happening. I ended up removing the rubber and replacing it with that gator stuff. Now on my XLV (I have only had it for one summer) I have taken care not to do anything to the rubber except rince it real well and I did not have the black foot print marks last summer. I store my boat inside as well.

JesseC
02-23-2006, 02:59 PM
My 02 has the 1/4 inch "squishy" pad on it. I went to my dealer last year and purchased a new one. The new one is a little less than an 1/8 inch thick and it is more like a hard rubber. I am hoping that it does not transfer the black as bad. I did notice that the 06 models at the boat shows are different than the replacement one I got. Instead of being smooth they have a criss cross "X" type pattern all over them. I wonder if I should have waited.....figures.

05mobiusxlv
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I also noticed the 06 had a different pad. It looks a lot more durable. I was talking to my dealer and I told him that a lot of people were having problems with it rubbing off. Mine has not started to yet, but it looks like its getting a little worn. (it has never spent a night outside) And he told me that when it starts to shed, it should be covered under warranty, and that it should not be a problem to get the 06 pad installed.

JoeTechie
02-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I've been told that Skier's Choice has had at least 4 pad types in the last few years. The softest one was the most prone to seeping black dye everywhere. The hardest are much more durable, and less likely to release color, but are much less comfortable to sit or stand on. Constant trade off. I think they went durable+ this year.

-J

mattva65
02-24-2006, 11:18 AM
So, should just buy the 2006 version ? I really don't want black stuff in my new boat and we have a bunch of kids climbing in and out all day. Does antone know how much it would cost?

Rusten
03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I have a similar problem and found what I believe may be a really good solution:

http://www.seadek.com/PageProj06SwimPlat.html

I haven't ordered it yet, but the person from SeaDek (Chuck Yates - [email protected]) was very responsive and mentioned that if I could get him the specifications they would have it CNC Die Cut to those exact specifications and it can be ordered in different thicknesses. I can't tell for sure because I haven't yet seen it in person, but it looks nice in the photos.

While we're on the subject, how do all of you get your old deck coating off? Mine is bubbling up in a number of places, however, it doesn't look like it would be easy to peel the entire thing away from the swim platform.

Happy skiing/wakeboarding,
-Rusten

Witt
03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
With all the problems it seems like y'all have with the black stuff on the fiberglass ski platform, would you recommend the teak "upgrade" for new boat purchases?

Swairlines
03-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I'll count myself as lucky because I haven't had a problem with my ski platform.....(yet...knock on wood).

Jeff

Rusten
03-02-2006, 03:07 AM
I definitely would *not* go with teak. Had it on my last ski boat and glad to be rid of it. I don't believe there is still an issue with the swim platform decking; however, in my case I have the grey colored deck and it does not get all over the boat. My only concern is that it is awfully fragile and becomes badly scraped up.

IMHO, It's far easier to pay $150 in exhcnage for a very steadfast decking, than to deal with the pains of teak. Of course I could just be lazy ;)

Buttafewcoe
03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
My old run-a-bout had a lot of teak in it. I must say, there was more maintenance on the teak than there was on the engine AND outdrive.
B

marchina
03-26-2006, 06:15 PM
anybody has a response from skiers choice? i think they afraid of a masive recall but i think is the right thing to do, i've wrote them twice with no response.

Please skier choice write back the boat is a mess.

regards
Simon

Frank
04-11-2006, 07:24 AM
I have a 2002 Outback, my neighbor has an 2004, we had the same problem. We contacted our dealer (Club Royal), inturn he contacted Moomba, thier resolution was to sell us a Teak swim platform at a very reasonable price. No more black on our feet, cloths and boat.

Smrtz
04-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Good question. I'd like to know the price too. Also like to see a few pics of the boats with the teak platforms if anyone has

J

Wolf-
04-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by smrtz
Good question. I'd like to know the price too. Also like to see a few pics of the boats with the teak platforms if anyone has

J

My new 06 Platform is bubbling.
Its been out 4 days total.
Also interested in pricing.