PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects Anyone?

kaneboats
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
So, I can't remember if we did this yet. Anybody have anything BIG planned for the boat this winter? I have to add my two additional Exile SXT65's and I'm going to rewire the tower. I'm looking forward to jamming in the garage a bit when I get the speakers added. I already removed the cooler and added a surf side bag under the seats where it was but this wasn't really a winter project. Not much else planned right now. I'd like to add a vent on my front bag so I don't have to squeeze air out of it all the time. How about you? Anything interesting going on?

KG's Supra24
11-15-2011, 11:15 AM
New tower speaker setup.
Buff some scratches out.
Possibly rebuild a sub box.
I'd like to do a seadek.

you da man
11-15-2011, 11:18 AM
RGB lights on the transom, in the cabin, and maybe the tower.

ryan_8099
11-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Most of our work is being done by the dealer. Possibly looking at new handles since a lot of ours are missing the caps. Other project is to figure what the heck to do about our loose platform - dealer said they don't sell the brackets anymore. Also, doing some custom vinyl decals for our registration and possibly "Moomba" on the transom since we can do them ourselves for very cheap.

bergermaister
11-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Possibly looking at new handles since a lot of ours are missing the caps

Curious what you mean by this. Your grab handles have visible screw/bolt holes that should have caps to cover them?

ChrisK
11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Re-working my ballast system to make it a little more user friendly

Already built and installed my tower-mounted anchor light

More transom LEDs and LEDs all around

Hopefully tower lights

Possibly new head unit that can be used with a transom remote (If anyone is getting rid of a pair let me know!)

ryan_8099
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Curious what you mean by this. Your grab handles have visible screw/bolt holes that should have caps to cover them?

Yes, the handles (not sure if they are original) have exposed screw/bolt holes on some of them. Each handle should have 2 caps, which is not the case on some of our handles. It is purely an aesthetic thing, but new handles seem to be pretty cheap. I guess we could remove the caps from all of them so they all match.

KSmith
11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
1. Install pull up docking cleats and popup fender mounts on bow (stern cleats installed already)
2. Tighten swim platform top mounting bolts. Supposedly these top bolts are accessible above the locker flooring, just need to carve out some carpet and tighten.
3. Install new (green) impellers in ballast pumps.
4. Possibly relocate ballast pumps to Starboard locker from Port locker to allow more ballast bag room in the Port locker for surfing.
5. Possibly rework stereo with a couple new amps and tower speakers (nothing fancy)
6. Buff out scratches on transom and edge of swim platform
7. Possibly buy and install some type of graphics, currently running nekkid
8. Possibly install Thule rack feet to rear gunnels to allow attachment of Thule racks to haul Kayaks (Moomba Mothership Project).
9. ?????

moombadaze
11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
8. Possibly install Thule rack feet to rear gunnels to allow attachment of Thule racks to haul Kayaks (Moomba Mothership Project).

Thats the one im waiting to see.

Nothin special here.

would love to finish my tower speaker project
redo amp wireing-looks like crap
redo balast filling pumps-to many pumps
remove white stripes
recover 2 seat bottoms that have tears in them

kaneboats
11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
6. Buff out scratches on transom and edge of swim platform

I really need to add that to my list. Wish I had a way to put the boat in the garage backwards.

jmvotto
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Underwater LEDS ....

Thanks again newty.. I had to look at them in the day light and I saw yellow spots for about an hour.. JEEZE they are bright.

rdlangston13
11-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Repair Bottom Broken Bolt on swim platform bracket
add some type of ballast to the front, either ibs or triangle bow sack
upgrade to acme 1847
recover torn cooler seat cushion
cut cooler out

KSmith
11-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Repair Bottom Broken Bolt on swim platform bracket
add some type of ballast to the front, either ibs or triangle bow sack
upgrade to acme 1847
recover torn cooler seat cushion
cut cooler out

Ah yeah, forgot about the 1847 project. Prop came yesterday.

Canuckle Head
11-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Thinking about replacing my carpet with Seadek. Just on the removable portion of the floor.
The rest I would leave carpeted.

Mikey
11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Get around to ordering parts to fix blown tire . Replace rim and mangled fender. All parts likely to be ordered from Trailermate,minus a tire . Surprisingly ,finding a matching rim Locally has been a NOGO. The fender i will get colour matched and replace rub,pads and fender rubber pads as well. Lots of time as we now have SNOW so boating is a little ways off.

rdlangston13
11-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Thinking about replacing my carpet with Seadek. Just on the removable portion of the floor.

that would look funny IMO

Canuckle Head
11-16-2011, 03:06 AM
that would look funny IMO

On your LSV I agree. On my Outback V I beg to differ.

moombadaze
11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
On your LSV I agree. On my Outback V I beg to differ.

wish the the newer LSV floor would be so easy to convert--you have one major advantage with the outbackV in that the whole floor is one piece and removable

rdlangston13
11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
i wonder how much it would cost to seadek the floor in an lsv. that is one mod i would be all about

moombadaze
11-16-2011, 09:59 AM
David, any thoughts about how to cover the removable parts and make it look good. The carpet in my boat now looks crappy-all matted down. Im not interested in recarpeting but would love to do the wood looking seadek

kaneboats
11-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Get around to ordering parts to fix blown tire . Replace rim and mangled fender. All parts likely to be ordered from Trailermate,minus a tire . Surprisingly ,finding a matching rim Locally has been a NOGO. The fender i will get colour matched and replace rub,pads and fender rubber pads as well. Lots of time as we now have SNOW so boating is a little ways off.

Have you thought about replacing both rims with an upgrade and keeping the one good one for your spare? Or if you have a spare sell the good one to someone else who wants a matching spare. Check out sites like this one -- should be having good sales this time of year.

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/Chrome-Wheels_c_281.html

kaneboats
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM

If you do this I hope you document and share lots of photos. Love to see it.

ian ashton
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't have anything massive planned, but a lot of fun stuff;

Boat is in right now to have the gel coat restored, removing all of the little knicks and scrapes from 400 hours of use. I guess they are going to wet sand the entire boat and buff up. It doesn't look bad right now, but the little marks just bug the crap out of me.
Install 2 additional 'newty' Transom LEDs - that should really brighten things up under the platform :)
AnotherStereo re-vamp; I'm looking at getting rid of my current Krypt tower speakers, switching the 350.4 that I have powering them to power the interior speakers, sell my Kicker 700.5, install the Kicker 1000.1 to power the 2 subs, re-build my enclosure to put both subs under the drivers dash, and add some Exile to the tower :)
I have to do something with my carpet, it looks like crap, I'm just not sure what.

newty
11-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Once you guys get the carpet out of your boat you'll see why seadeck will look funny. There are huge gaps between the panels in the floor that are taken up by the carpet. To make it look right you would have to enlarged the floor panels and have the floor finished with some sort of coating. Even if you cover the floor with seadeck the edges where the floor is exposed (at the seams) will look completely un finished. If you went to all the lengths to do all this you will find that the floor is uneven and the gaps that butt up to the removable panels aren't straight. You would be into the project for well over $1200 to do it right.
Your best bit would be to pull the carpet, coat the floors and do a snap-in.

Trust me when I say, I've exhausted every option before I resorted back to carpet.

Now the OB and OBV's would be way easier with the one piece floors and the glassed locker.

As for me and upgrades, I'll be going to Johnson pumps for the ballast. THATS IT!

bergermaister
11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
THATS IT!

yah, we'll believe that when we see it...:rolleyes:

Call it a wish list at this point, won't start materializing until after the holidays.
+1847 prop
+new carpet
+vinyl repairs
+possible hlcd tower upgrade
+possible custom ballast bags (sell off 1100's)

Pretty sure I'll dream up something else.

skiyaker
11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
For my off season project I'm having the dealer remove the engine, rotate it 180 degrees and move it to the middle of the boat where it belongs! While I'm at it I might have him change the exterior color from black to blue. And possibly add a second axle to the trailer too.

rdlangston13
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Once you guys get the carpet out of your boat you'll see why seadeck will look funny. There are huge gaps between the panels in the floor that are taken up by the carpet. To make it look right you would have to enlarged the floor panels and have the floor finished with some sort of coating. Even if you cover the floor with seadeck the edges where the floor is exposed (at the seams) will look completely un finished. If you went to all the lengths to do all this you will find that the floor is uneven and the gaps that butt up to the removable panels aren't straight. You would be into the project for well over $1200 to do it right.
Your best bit would be to pull the carpet, coat the floors and do a snap-in.

Trust me when I say, I've exhausted every option before I resorted back to carpet.

Now the OB and OBV's would be way easier with the one piece floors and the glassed locker.

As for me and upgrades, I'll be going to Johnson pumps for the ballast. THATS IT!

Did you happen to snap any pictures of the bare floor with the carpet removed when you did your carpet replacement?

newty
11-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Did you happen to snap any pictures of the bare floor with the carpet removed when you did your carpet replacement?

You can see in the first pic where the "floor boards" (if you will) are not even with the stringer or even cut straight for that mater. Look at the floor locker and notice the huge gaps around it with out the carpet.
Thats the ony pics I have w/o carpet.

Nobodyrides4Free
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
My 02 Moomba Mobius V Transom spider cracked where the swim deck brackets attach on both sides.
2 Screws will not thread back in. Talking to Moomba and sending pics, lets see what they do? So THIS IS MY BIG WINTER PROJECT. IT SUCKS
Deck Brackets worn out like most boats, looking at new ones if they dont cost an arm and Leg.
Revamped stereo last year, but going to replace 2 of my Polk MOMos in tower.
Put on new swim deck pad last winter too, old one not available anymore so they sent the New style you see on 2011 boats, it Sweet. Wanted to put aluminum rims on trailer this winter but Deck and transom shot that down.....
Hope your Winter projects are not as bad as mine....Rick

bergermaister
11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the Moomba boards! Post up some pictures of your boat when you have the opportunity and good luck with the fixit projects.

saskyrider
11-22-2011, 05:43 PM
It's parked and stored for the winter so no projects for me until around april 15.... then i want to install the underwater led that i got in the first group buy... thanks newty! then i want to do something with my pumps so i'm not sitting 15 minutes to fill for surfing!!! other than that i'm good. maybe replace the impeller.