PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Kit in front end of Chevy 4x4?

04OUTBACK
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Anyone know much about these?
2011 Silverado 4X4 Crew.. They all sit a couple of inches low in front and look so much better with a levelling kit installed... anyone done their own? tools required? easy or pay a shop to do it?

KG's Supra24
11-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Researched this until I was blue in the face.

You can crank your factory torsion keys and that should get you close, ride will suffer quite a bit. Cheap, can be done by yourself plus alignment. Your angles will be off and could cause premature wear on front end parts.

Other end of the spectrum is cognito. Specificslly designed kit for gm. Uses new control arms to get factory angles. This is supposedly the "right way".

In between those two, I'd look at readylift or aftermarket keys. Neither of them keep factory angles but are beyer than just cranking factory.

also, you might want to consider shocks into the equation as once front is raised the shocks are likely to top out.

Personally, I decided cognito and bilstein shocks. The setup is nice but I'm not completely sold the ride is a ton better than cheaper options. I bought it bc I plan on keeping the truck for a while and convinced myself it was a good investment.

hopefully akl that makes sense

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hoopskier
11-14-2011, 10:31 PM
I thought that GM got away from the torsion bar setup, and went to coil over/strut setup. Could be wrong. Easy enough to just look under the front end for a coil spring or not. If it a coil spring setup, fairly easier to put in some spacers. I did a set on a Ford F150 once. Will need to get an alignment after you are done, because you changed the ride hieght.

dusty2221
11-14-2011, 10:40 PM
They did. I've used a coil spacer before. Got the 2.5" from topguncustomz.com was cheap and did the job. Just get an alignment after install!

Sent from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

KG's Supra24
11-14-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure, I was speaking from HD experience and made the assumption the 1500s are the same. The HD trucks got a new suspension setup in 2011 but I'm pretty sure its still independent and uses torsion bar(s).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

viking
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I think they are still torsion? I went through this whole ordeal with my 07 2500 as well. After much research and wavering back and forth i decided to lift the whole truck. Did a 6in in rear and 8 in front and replace with billsteins on all four corners. Don't regret it a bit. It rides just as good (if not better) than stock.
If it's on a budget and ride quality is not a big concern, torsion keys from a company like ready lift is your best bet and simple job.

04OUTBACK
11-15-2011, 08:38 AM
1500 is diff from hd. I think the spacer is most common way.
Thanks

New Guy
11-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm almost sure that they are coils. All the 1/2ton's switched in 07 or 08. I just did keys and spacers in my tahoe and yeah it rides rougher but oh well if I wanted a smooth ride i would have bought a van.

newty
11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Wait... I thought you just bought a leveling kit. That 21V doesn't level your truck out enough?

04OUTBACK
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Good point Newty. I was thinking of the other 95% of the time I drive the Chevy. Haha.

KG's Supra24
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Just a fair warning on that topic. I leveled my truck and first time I hooked up the boat I was a little disappointed with the amount of sag. Ended up putting bags in the rear.

I likely have more tongue weight though due to design so maybe you will be good.

rc5695
11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Most "leveling kits" are just polyurethane spacers for the front springs/struts. I've put them on a friends' Toyota Tacoma. Pretty easy for the most part... I wouldn't be scared of using them.

04OUTBACK
11-16-2011, 01:53 PM
probably go with that.. just finding time to do it..
doesn't look too difficult, but Ill probably err on the caution side and pay a shop to do it.