PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the plug on an LSV

helix_rider
05-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Okay, so I feel like I am abusing the board asking all these questions...but you guys are just so dang helpful :p

I have an LSV...I only have 12 hours on it, but I have never 'pulled' the plug. Do you LSV owners out there get a wrench and take it off after every trip to the lake? I've never had water enter over the sides/bow, so I figure the amount of water in there must be small, but I'm new to boating and didn't know the proper procedures. My friends with a d/d take the plug out every time they go...is it a 'must' or a 'smart thing' to do, or do I need to mess with it?

Thanks for bearing with the newbie :)

smokedog2
05-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Every time, rain or shine. Pull it and be amazed at all the water. Don’t pull it and green stuff will start to grow in very hard to clean places.

SD2

MEDIC151
05-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Pull it everytime. With people getting in and out of the water, you will be amazed at the amount that makes it to the bilge and your pump will not get all of it out. Personally, I open all compartments as well to help with evaporation and slow the mildew. Makes for easier cleaning.

seanpatsdad
05-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Pull it for sure.Also when you are out on the water open up the engine cover and look around for leaks.Just cause it is new does not mean you don't have leaks.My ballst system had a couple of loose fittings that were leaking.Anyway ,I use a 1/2 inch size crows foot on a ratchet with an extension to pull the plug.
John

clark
05-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Pull it man,,,, pull it.

I always remove mine so that air can circulate in there and help dry things out, especially since every time I go to the lake I have kids climbing in and out of the water. Just make since to me.

Hey seanpatsdad, what the heck is a crows foot. What does it look like. I always use a 9/16 wrench. Definitely got to easier with a socket.

Clark

clark
05-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Never mind,,,, I found one on the internet... Got to get me one.

Clark

seanpatsdad
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Clark
Maybe it is a 9/16.i guess I never paid attention to it.Works great if you have the wake plate with a ratchet and about a 8" extension .Sears sell them[craftsman].
John

moombadaze
05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
pull the plug by all means.

for me the best place when the trailer tires are on the flat part of the parking lot and
rear part of the boat is hanging over the ramp-gives a little more room under the
swim platform-if i can i then back up so the trailer is on the ramp and the truck
is still on level ground-gives the best angle for water to run out the drain hole.
the boat is headed uphill so to speak.

stacy

NH Moomba
05-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Up here in the Northeast, it is the law that you must drain your bilge and clean off any foriegn material from the hull and trailer. Many of or lakes are choked with non-native invasive weed species. The weeds hitchike from one lake to the next in the bilgewater and by clinging to trailers, propellers and hulls.

Wake Master
05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
My boat sits in a lift all week and use it on the weekends I almost never pull the plug but do make sure the bilge is as empty as it can be. I did spray some simple green in the bilge a few times last year to make sure no green stuff got started. I put 135 hours on the boat last year so maybe I did not give it any time to grow.

helix_rider
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I saw all these posts and got worried, so the minute I got home I took a wrench (the plug is definitely not simple to get off with the wake plate sitting there) and took it off. Not a drip of water came out. I thought maybe it needed a slant, so I hooked it up and put it on a hill...still nada. I took the boat in the water yesterday evening, and then pulled the plug after and still no water. Is it just 'luck' that there was none in there?

Thanks for all the advice...I feel like I'm learning, and still haven't had to pay a $$$ penalty for my stupid mistakes yet :)

Loren

smokedog2
05-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Better knock on wood.

SD2