PDA

View Full Version : Big Mountain Skiis????

jmvotto
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Since the boating season in the northeast is way over, time to focus on the cold water sports.

Looking at some powder skiis for backcountry

Let me know your thoughts on Favorites.( you NW and BC guys should have a bunch in you closet)

I have skiied the K2 pontoons, line prophet 100, vokl Mantra,

Looking for something to float in the Pow and grab on some groomers?

Looking at length 172 cm to 180 cm with at least 100 at the waist

jmvotto
11-18-2011, 09:08 PM
bueller? anyone?

04OUTBACK
11-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jmvotto
11-19-2011, 07:51 AM
jester and al, what are you guys skiing on?

Mikey
11-19-2011, 11:58 PM
I got some new Dynastar Model?? have to check.All mountain Midwide 187cm skis. I'm Tall at 6'5'' 215lbs so hence the slightly longer ski,mind you shorter than the 205cm i used to ski in years gone by.
These skis are Great in Powder and decent on Groomed ,bumps,jumps etc,but get a little squirlley at speed,unlike the slalom race skis i used to use. They were much faster and way more stable at speed. These skis are fun but have there limits.

Do some research and or demo a couple pairs if you can or read the reviews as to how they are rated and how well they do in different terrain etc. I would say my rating on mine is pretty close to what they advertised. They are still in my rafters but will need to be dug out soon enough as a few ski hills have opened,some for a couple weeks already ,but i will wait,for a few more weeks . I learned my lesson years ago that early snow ,only hides so much as i really wrecked new pair of skis years ago ,so i like to let more snow fall and get packed down etc. Nothing is for sure but better a little safe than sorry. I can find the model if you are interested but there are many Good skis out there . Just need to find a ski that suits the skiing you will likely be doing and also Price.Good Luck.

cab13367
11-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Joe,

Sorry, I am not much help. If it's a powder day, I'm on my snowboard so I don't have any powder skis. As far as skis, I am old school and have a pair of older Salomon XScream's for my all mountain ski and a pair of K2 Mamba's that are mogul specific skis (don't get much use here as there are no bumps on Mt. Hood). I only stopped using straight skis a few years ago because (1) I couldn't find them anymore and (2) the bumps (was living in CO at the time) were getting so tight from everyone going down 20cm that I was having a bit of trouble navigating my 195's thru them. LOL!

I am going on a week long trip to Whistler with 9 other people in January and will be bringing all three. Can't wait!

Al

jmvotto
11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Al, Thanks been looking around a bit. I luv the old Xscreams. Skiing on an older Dynastar Legend 8000 for out east , 78cm under foot not really wide at all. Mogul skiis . I asked the kid at the local shop waht the best model skiis are and he said whatever straight ski you have in your basement. Few weeks early i tossed my Rossi 4m 195's uggghh.

Not sure i can get over some of these wild graphics on the new skiis... showing my Age.

Have fun at whistler!!!

Going back to Steamboat to cat ski, tossed around Mica Heli skiing in BC, maybe next year.

Cool video from there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbS6AaEunM

Watch and Enjoy

ryan_8099
11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Going back to Steamboat to cat ski, tossed around Mica Heli skiing in BC, maybe next year.

Cool video from there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbS6AaEunM

Watch and Enjoy

Awesome video, I think my favorite part is the guy saying he wanted to throw 7s still when he was 40. That is pretty impressive! I can't imagine how much that Heli skiing there would cost :p Definitely looks like some awesome terrain...someday

As far as skis go, I've rode (2006?) Rossignol Scratch twin-tips for the last few years. Rode in Colorado mostly and they were great. Planning on selling the skis and switching to boarding this year!

New Guy
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Ryan I might pick them up from you. You ever ski Bohemia? That is the only place in the midwest that I will ski anymore.

ryan_8099
12-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Ryan I might pick them up from you. You ever ski Bohemia? That is the only place in the midwest that I will ski anymore.

I have never been that far north, I just go to Granite Peak here locally. I checked it out online and it looks like they get a lot of snow. I will let you know when/if I decide to sell. Been boarding for 4 days and it is going pretty well, just not sure if I will have an itch to bring out the skis sometime this season. Although with it being a high of 39 and rain today it is going to destroy the base we had.

New Guy
12-14-2011, 04:29 PM
You have a season pass at GP? We should meet up there some tuesday night. It is only about 1.5 hrs from me.

Bohemia is awesome, it gets pretty hard core up there but we have a blast.