PDA

View Full Version : My new tow rig

TL7
11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Denali with my LSV. Got tired of the constant gear searching with the 5.3L Tahoe with 4 speed tranny. The 6.2L with the 6 speed is night and day different. Of course I assume my gas bill will be night and day different too, but not in a good way!

Mikey
11-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Not sure about that, But as a work van i had a chev 2500 with the 6 liter . Way more power than current 2500.with the 4.8 Gutless piece of crap motor i currently drive now and gas mileage was Way better with the big motor. Oh did i mention I hate the current van?
I'm a plumber and we run reasonably stocked ,so we usually run Heavy and the big motor ,didn't have to work as hard. When we load up its even worse. Now granted its a different motor and we won't go to driving an empty truck like you likely will when not towing, but its likely if you drive NICE. It should be way better on gas than you think.

rdlangston13
11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
so thats pretty much the same drive train as an escalade?

TL7
11-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Yep - basically an Escalade for poor folks.

brain_rinse
11-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Awesome, love the white! I did the same thing, went from the 5.3 to the 6.2. While it was a huge upgrade, for me the bigger improvement was going from a 4 to a 6 speed transmission. I wonder how the newer 5.3s with 6 speeds do...

TL7
11-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I wondered that, and I've heard the 6 speeds make a ton of difference. I didn't want to chance getting the new 5.3/6 speed combo and be disappointed with it. They definitely can't be worse than the old ones though. Don't get me wrong, we loved our Tahoe, and when we had the Outback we were very pleased with it. We live on the Gulf Coast of Texas so there aren't many hills around, but we travel to Austin and the hill country several times per year. Once we upgraded to the heavier LSV, we could definitely feel the difference as soon as we got on any kind of grade. As hot as it gets around here in the summer, I'm surprised the transmission didn't explode one day.

Now that I can see my transmission temperature, can anyone tell me what is average and what to expect towing so I don't freak out?

Hoopskier
11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
TL7, been more than a few years since I took a college course in auto shop, but for some reason 220 degrees sticks out in my head. Past that temp the oil is starting to burn/break down. Might want to ask your local dealer if you have them service it.

oh, truck looks pretty sweet too.

mmandley
11-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Nice looking rig. Drive the truck for a while and watch the trans temp this will give you a base line. In my F150 it ran around 165 not towing and 180 towing and would peak around 205 in the kills.
My F350 the trans runs at 145 all the time and towing its around 147 and only peaks under really heavy loads around 190.

General rule of trans temps, First its Bad to start a car and go flying down the road. The trans needs to heat up as well and it only takes like 1/2 mile or 2 to 3 minutes at idle. It needs to be around 100 to perform properly.

Trans temps : 130 to 175 is very normal it will depend a lot on how good the trans cooler is. 175 to 200 normal but its telling you im getting hot and your working me pretty hard but im still ok. Service interval is apx 50K max life for most trans fluids

200 to 300 trans fluids starts to break down slowly but its still ok but you wuill need to change it at 12K miles if its there or reaching it or as soon as it reaches.

300-400 Extream heat and fluid is breaking down considerably and what ever your dooing you ned to stop and let it cool down, if you cant for some reason then finish what your doing but the trans fluid needs changed asap.

400+ most newer trans will thorw engine codes and goto Limp mode, at this temp you are melting parts in the trans and the fluid chemicals are seperating.

All this is the same for Oil temps except they generaly run a normal temp of at least 150 and will stay some what close to your coolant temp but oil above 300 in your engine is bad as well as its breaking down and your damaging the engine when its above 400.

I cant expactly recall where i read all this temp stuff but when i fist got my Programmer on my F150 i did some research to learn the same thing your asking about. When i got the F350 i read all the temps info on the Diesel site forum im part of.

kaneboats
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Good stuff, Mike.

brain_rinse
11-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Now that I can see my transmission temperature, can anyone tell me what is average and what to expect towing so I don't freak out?
160-200 is normal operating range without a trailer per the manual. While I have never been able to find anything in writing, I've heard from a few sources that <260 is normal when towing.

KG's Supra24
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Yep - basically an Escalade for poor folks.

LOL, so humble. :grin: I put the Denali side by side with an Escalade. If I had to pick between the two, I'd prob go Denali.

Nice Truck. The airbags make nice work of towing as well as the 6.2. Bet it's comfy inside!

viking
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I love our 05 Denali. Pulls the OB great. Not as good as the Duramax but when it's time to trade in the Yukon we're definitely going to get another 1. Might go XL version this time though. Need more room :)

moombadaze
11-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice upgrade.

Only towed my boat once so far with the new truck and I do remember watching the trans temp readout but cant remember what it was-it did stay constant the whole trip so whatever it was I just figured it was normal for towing, now I havent driven the truck far enough without the boat to know what normal is.

rdlangston13
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
my truck doesnt even have a trans temp gauge which i think is stupid

mmandley
11-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Most trucks dont but all are monitored in the trucks computer so if you have a digital programmer you will be able to monitor them. Or you can buy a aftermarket gauge. I think it has to come down with what manufactures find as important on that model. My F150 had Volts, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel along with RPM and Speed.

F350 has Oil Pressure, Fuel, Trans Temp, Water Temp, Turbo Boost, RPM, Speed.
I added, Oil Temp, EGT Temp, Trans Temp, Coolant Temp, Turbo Boost, Intake Temp, Voltage, and Air Bag Pressure threw my programmer. I think it might have a couple more but i dont ever use them but there all digital.

Honestly all you really need in gauges is Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, Trans Temp, Oil Pressure, on Gas trucks and EGT on diesels and your ready to tow serious loads.