PDA

View Full Version : tow vehicle question

fairskies2011
11-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Will a 2012 Toyoya Tacoma rated at 6500 lb towing capacity be adequate to tow a 2008 Moomba Outback V?

skiyaker
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I tow my 2008 OBV with a 2007 Nissan Frontier rated for #6100- it's very flat where I live and it does fine. Bigger truck will always do better, but if it's flat where you live it will be adequate IMO. And... get ready for the "you need a monster truck with a V 10 in order to stop a boat" posts.

fairskies2011
11-13-2011, 01:08 PM
LOL!

Thanks for the warning!

I look forward to all the forthcoming advice.

Just, please don't give me a Barbie Doll Avatar. That's just plain weird.

wolfeman131
11-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Just, please don't give me a Barbie Doll Avatar. That's just plain weird.

Kinda like a really strange looking dude in cutoff jean shorts?

fairskies2011
11-13-2011, 01:32 PM
"Super Moderator"? Interesting.

I guess the phrase "I resemble that remark" is applicable here.

When I was a kid, that's what you did to make shorts - get your Levi's off and a pair of scissors in hand and go at it.

I suppose today - given that Levi's are now hot collectors items in Europe and Asia, that would be blasphomy.

moombadaze
11-13-2011, 02:54 PM
you need a monster truck with a V 10

ALways thought it was "you need a diesel 3/4ton truck"

Hoopskier
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
ALways thought it was "you need a diesel 3/4ton truck"

...if you own a tournament boat. 1/2 gas are for Bayliner I/O. (sarcasim)

I would be comfortable towing a with a new tacoma. I have used a Sport Trac and an older Tacoma to pull my Outback. I have heard the new Tacoma's 4.0 V6 is much better than the old 3.4 V6 (which is what I am using). Just takes a little longer to get going on the highway.

mmandley
11-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Id resemble the you need a bigger truck to stop the boat safely and you need a 1 Ton diesel to tow it.

No seriously although i dont agree in your choice to tow with that truck it will get the job done. I am not going to harp on your truck and i never make a personal attack on someones tow vechicle, you tow with what you can tow with.

I do advise everyone to try this experiment and see for yourself the capabilites of your tow rig.
Use the lock out devise on your trailer and tow with it when the brakes arnt working. GO do your normal tow route, and then tell me if you still feel as safe trying to stop the boat. I was really surprised how much Fierah pushes on the truck when i lock her brakes out, theres a dam good reason these trailers have brakes but im a firm believer that your tow truck needs to be able to stop your boat when the boat has no brakes at all.

Lastly as long as your tow vechile out weighs the trailer its towing you should be fine eigher way.

Try my experiment, you will be surprised with the results.

rdlangston13
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Id resemble the you need a bigger truck to stop the boat safely and you need a 1 Ton diesel to tow it.

No seriously although i dont agree in your choice to tow with that truck it will get the job done. I am not going to harp on your truck and i never make a personal attack on someones tow vechicle, you tow with what you can tow with.

I do advise everyone to try this experiment and see for yourself the capabilites of your tow rig.
Use the lock out devise on your trailer and tow with it when the brakes arnt working. GO do your normal tow route, and then tell me if you still feel as safe trying to stop the boat. I was really surprised how much Fierah pushes on the truck when i lock her brakes out, theres a dam good reason these trailers have brakes but im a firm believer that your tow truck needs to be able to stop your boat when the boat has no brakes at all.

Lastly as long as your tow vechile out weighs the trailer its towing you should be fine eigher way.

Try my experiment, you will be surprised with the results.

18 wheelers dont out weigh trailers.

hell most travel trailers outweight their tow vehicles, especially with trucks being rated at 15000 lbs

mmandley
11-15-2011, 03:51 AM
18 wheelers dont out weigh trailers.

hell most travel trailers outweight their tow vehicles, especially with trucks being rated at 15000 lbs

Yes your right and when you tow things like this breaks on the trailer are requires. 18 wheelers are a different story anyhow because they are 20Klb trucks towing 60-80K trailers and did you know the system is there to Unlock the brakes not lock them? Also did you know that in an 18 Wheeler its technically against the law to not have it in gear constantly while in motion unless shifting? This hels to control the trailer when slowing down using the truck as well because technically the truck by its self and or the trailer by its self cant stop a full load? So 18 wheelers dont really apply. As it takes the truck and trailer to stop there loads because they act as 1 complete vechicles. Another fun fact is an 18 Wheeler rig takes longer to stop with no load on it at all then it does with a load. Ahh yea thats not much like a passenger truck at all.

Yes our trucks can pull loads heavier then they are them selves and yes they do it all the time, but up to a certain vechicle weight, i think its 6K its reccomended that you dont tow with a vechicle weighing more then your towed load. I dont quite recall the weight but i think its after 5K trailer < load > weight its required that the trailer have surge or electric brakes.

As for RV trailers youd be surprised how little they actually weight. I towed up to 29fters on my rear hitch and they all weighed less then 10K and these had slide outs.
Heaviest thing and hardest thing to control was the 28Ft ocean boat i pulled at 12K. Thats a lot of weight to pull when you cant use stabalizers or anti sway bars.

rdlangston13
11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Yes I am an expert on 18 wheeler brakes. I was student of the course in that class at UTI. Good ole S cam brakes

MOOMBA_97
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Amazing how spoiled I have gotten concerning a tow vehicle. When I got rid of my last one, a 1997 Expedition 4x4 with 5.4L, I was complaining I wanted more pull with it's modest 235hp. My buddy reminded me of the mid 80's when we were in high school. Back then we were pulling our family 18 foot bass boat with a 1980 Chevy Custom Deluxe with a straight 6 and a three on the tree column shifter. Had to cut off the A/C going up the hills. I do agree with wanting as much weight in the tow vehicle as possible for stopping purposes, esp. with a family on board.

Hoopskier
11-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Before everyone starts to get on each other about what type of vehicle is adequete or not, NOTICE under the original poster name, fairskies2011, says; banned

skiyaker
11-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Before everyone starts to get on each other about what type of vehicle is adequete or not, NOTICE under the original poster name, fairskies2011, says; banned

ha! should have know it was HIM trolling around! posted the ole "can I tow with a V6" question and let the sparks fly. Nice one!

zegm
11-17-2011, 10:00 AM
My V10 Diesel Touareg is NOT A MONSTER TRUCK. It IS the World Best True Sport Utility Vehicle!

wolfeman131
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Not if you need a 3rd row of seats.

And man, do I wish that they did!

sandm
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I think I'm going to sell my f150 and start towing with my 4cyl ranger......

discuss......

KG's Supra24
11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Icxuji3GT08/SGF_h8ikdtI/AAAAAAAAANQ/vWuCWKW-jH8/s400/IMG_0388a.JPG

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnbSYSCSei9nBFEgLFjUF0VbvXWpgs6 AkaKJTOynA4yzY3cKDD51KVj7b2

For a 22 ft or smaller you are gonna wanna look into one of the following ... If you happen to have a boat larger than 22 ft .. you are SOL

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXc9ChqNk9Tk2OPHP3sH9OjO4B2oc9F JPBe0hXD-9WbmGSBScH

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUKS4e3bnM86eP3669ImXdT5qH2nltU m3psRCK0cfRMwNI9b1Q

sandm
11-17-2011, 05:41 PM
those trucks would be badass until I had to take out a mortgage to fill them up..

zegm
11-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Not if you need a 3rd row of seats.

And man, do I wish that they did!

Drew!!! Do your research!!!! Porsche Cayanne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 all the same vehicle, made on the same assembly line. Designed by Porsche. AND!
The Audi version has that mini van like 3rd row of seats! Of course that just might make it an sUV, you know the S has to be dropped a little. :)

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?ICID=FAC&state=new&make=Audi&model=Q7

wolfeman131
11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah, we've driven the Q7 for her and R8 for me but . . .

The Q7 doesn't come with the V10 TDI and if you go to the TDI in the Q7 vs the 3.9 TS, you gain some torque but lose 1.5 sec off the 0-60 time.

zegm
11-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah, we've driven the Q7 for her and R8 for me but . . .

The Q7 doesn't come with the V10 TDI and if you go to the TDI in the Q7 vs the 3.9 TS, you gain some torque but lose 1.5 sec off the 0-60 time.

The 5.0 L V-10 was replaced with a new 4.2L twin cam 4 valve V-8 with 335hp and 590lb-ft of torque (V-10 was 313 & 550) but for some reason VW doesn't think we Americans can handle that! It is also about 500lbs lighter and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.
Now the local VW mechanic tweaked my motor the last time I was there and I have managed to do 5.8 seconds 0 - 60. I believe he installed the R50 code in my black box!

zegm
11-18-2011, 10:09 PM
I guess I didn't make this clear this is a 4.2L V-8 DIESEL making 335hp and 590lb-ft of torque! Now that is impressive 256 Cubic Inches , 20+ miles per gallon city ! GO VW/AUDI/Porsche!!!