PDA

View Full Version : Rear locker hatch question

you da man
11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
The other week I went on my friend's 2011 LSV and noticed that the rear hatches do not open enough to stay open. The actual vinyl and possibly cushion material underneath prohibit the hatch from opening much. When I had my '08 XLV my rear hatches opened up pretty wide and would hinge open far enough to let the compartments air dry in my storage unit. Not possible with my friend's LSV unless you use something to prop open the hatches. I know it would piss me off if I had to reach into the rear storage and had to rest the hatch on my back or side or worse yet have to ask someone to hold it open.

kaneboats
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Still looking for your question here.

brain_rinse
11-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Mine were like that when brand new but after a few trips they were staying open on their own.

wolfeman131
11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
That's strange as I have been on plenty of different LSV's and never encountered this. I did have the strut pop off on my OBVIOUS but it was a simple fix.

you da man
11-10-2011, 08:04 PM
That's strange as I have been on plenty of different LSV's and never encountered this. I did have the strut pop off on my OBVIOUS but it was a simple fix.

I know that the strut issue is common. I had mine come loose on my XLV a couple times and my friend's 2011 LSV is loose now. Simple fixes for sure but I honestly think a little more beefy strut would be nice. I thought it was strange as well that his rear hatches did not open wide enough to stay open. The doors do not even come close to vertical as I recall. It seemed as if at the factory the hinge was mounted too low to the hull to allow enough clearance. I should look at my other friend's 2009 LSV and compare the hinge mounting locations.

bzubke1
11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Mine open to 90 degrees and the strut keeps it there unless the wind blows it down.

rdlangston13
11-11-2011, 12:04 AM
mine open all the way to 90 or maybe a little past it. my right strut however is getting a little worn out and is having trouble holding it but i assume those are pretty reasonable to replace.

mnpracing
11-11-2011, 11:15 AM
on my LSv they stay open just fine. On my '06 OBV I replaced the struts with ones that are rated heavier. Just picked them up at the local auto parts store. Not cheap, probably $20 each.

rdlangston13
11-12-2011, 12:40 AM
$20 sounds pretty cheap for something on the boat

fairskies2011
11-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Long time lurker, but I have to put in my 2/100 here.

Why do you care?

What I have read in the archives of this forum, you are now an Axis owner.

Seriously....Isn't it time for you to move on to the light at the end of the Axis tunnel and quit Moomba bashing?

11-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Interesting comments above ^^^ You know other people have probably thought this too.

$20 for ANYTHING on an Inboard boat is cheap.

I went an looked a lot harder at the Axis boats and was really considering them after all the Interweb hype. To me too many corners were cut to reduce the price and still call it a 60k boat. After my wife and I looked at them a couple weeks ago, Her exact comments after we left were "They seemed to cheap to me, it seems like a downgrade. The interior is like that from of a Honda civic. wait more like a corolla". Not that a Corolla is bad, but it wasn't on the same level as a 2012 Moomba, interior wise.

Lauderdale Lakes Chicago
11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
We have 2011 and 2012 LSV's at the store, and all hatches open and support themselves. If you want I can take a picture of the hinge location.

you da man
11-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Long time lurker, but I have to put in my 2/100 here.

Why do you care?

What I have read in the archives of this forum, you are now an Axis owner.

Seriously....Isn't it time for you to move on to the light at the end of the Axis tunnel and quit Moomba bashing?

Last time I checked this was a public forum. I posted this to see if other newer LSV owners had this issue so maybe this could be warranty fix for my friend. Hmmm...could this be Ed G?

04OUTBACK
11-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Ydm, sounds like ole Ed G is back spouting off. I'd ignore that comment

yz 2smoke
11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Interesting comments above ^^^ You know other people have probably thought this too.

I went an looked a lot harder at the Axis boats and was really considering them after all the Interweb hype. To me too many corners were cut to reduce the price and still call it a 60k boat. After my wife and I looked at them a couple weeks ago, Her exact comments after we left were "They seemed to cheap to me, it seems like a downgrade. The interior is like that from of a Honda civic. wait more like a corolla". Not that a Corolla is bad, but it wasn't on the same level as a 2012 Moomba, interior wise.

We looked at an AXIS before buying the LSV (11) and we thought the same thing.

I have an 11 and my lockers open all tha way and stay open unless the wind blows.

you da man
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM

I can understand people not liking the looks and simplicity of the Axis interior, it's functional. I like the lines and new looks of the newer Moomba interiors and even in my previous '08 XLV. However, I can't get into how shallow the seat backs are in the LSV, the XLV is deeper and you feel more "in the boat" instead of "on the boat". Those looking into the Axis or MB boats will be those looking for a clean, big, easy to setup, consistent wake for beginners to pro. If you're totally into interiors then step up to Supra IMO. I am really liking what Moomba or SC has done with the new towers and stepping out with the new Mojo model...that's what keeps me interested in Moomba and since being a former owner I still really like the brand.

Thanks for the info on the locker hatches guys. I'll check with my friend and let him know what you guys posted up.

rdlangston13
11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
i like how the starboard side rear storage on axis goes all the way to the bottom of the hull and has no carpet. huge deep storage. i like how all the switch are up on the dash and easy to get to unlike my gravIII switches that are a PITA. I like how axis has circuit breakers down where my gravIII switches are, convenient. i also like how they come with an amp board after installed that you can add to and how the interior comes with LEDs from the factory and the bow filled with the rear facing put up seat and the big glove box. they also seem to have a bigger rudder

all that being said, my buddies new A20, already has the vinyl tearing at the seams in the seats, and the tachometer is not smooth, real jerky in its movement. when that water is ripply you feel it hard core, not nearly as smooth as my LSV.

back on topic, i need new struts for my rear lockers and glove box

jpetty3023
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
My struts are fine so far and the doors sit at about 90degrees or maybe a little more. I had one come unscrewed this summer but I just tightened it down and it was fine. So far no issues..

rdlangston13
11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
My struts are fine so far and the doors sit at about 90degrees or maybe a little more. I had one come unscrewed this summer but I just tightened it down and it was fine. So far no issues..

the hinge on my engine hatch keeps coming loose