PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption Log

cab13367
11-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Hey Fellas,

Haven't been on here in a while. My boating season ended about mid September and finally winterized her this weekend. I've been keeping track of my fuel usage the last three years and thought I would share it with the forum. Note that I've run a different prop each of the last three seasons and have been getting slightly better fuel economy with each prop change (which was not the goal, but I'll take it).

Time to break the skis and snowboards out. Everyone have a great winter!

Al

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20pics%20-%20public/FuelLog.jpg

zabooda
11-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the information. It kinda confirms what most of us are guessing at 5gph on average. With the accurate gas gauges we often have to have rely on our math to make sure we have enough gas in the boat...lol.

moombadaze
11-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Al, thanks for sharing, very informative.

what was up with 9-25-10 11.13 gph--wondering what kind of activity that was if you can remember.

cab13367
11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the information. It kinda confirms what most of us are guessing at 5gph on average. With the accurate gas gauges we often have to have rely on our math to make sure we have enough gas in the boat...lol.

That's part of the reason I do this, is so that I know about how many gallons is going in before I have to pay attention so that I don't overflow the tank and make a mess.

Al, thanks for sharing, very informative.

what was up with 9-25-10 11.13 gph--wondering what kind of activity that was if you can remember.

Stacy,

Good question. I think that's mainly due to the fact that I probably did not get the tank full during the previous fill up. You'll notice the fuel consumption was very low on the previous one.

bergermaister
11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
This may be a "duh" question but is your ignition on for your stereo to be on, and if so, is the hour meter running? I'm thinking not, but my stereo is wired completely independent of the ignition so was just wondering. If it were though could help to explain that killer MPG you were getting here and there if you're just sitting chilling with tunes.

When I did a long adventure trip up the Willamette this summer, there was a lot of slow cruising and no pulling. I'm sure I got way better "mileage" that day compared to normal.

I suppose another shock factor here would be the roughly 300 gallons per summer at ~$4 per gallon = $1200 of saving up for the gas fund. You know what to plan for $$ in the coming seasons! And don't feel bashful when a passenger offers you $20 (or more) for gas. That is only covering an hour of the fun for the day!

Razzman
11-07-2011, 03:21 PM

I don't even worry about it. I know that when my gauge is showing empty there's 10 gallons of gas left. This actually works quite well for me as I'll never get stranded and when filling, I can blast in 28 gallons and then creep the last two in so it doesn't overflow.

cab13367
11-07-2011, 04:32 PM
This may be a "duh" question but is your ignition on for your stereo to be on, and if so, is the hour meter running? I'm thinking not, but my stereo is wired completely independent of the ignition so was just wondering. If it were though could help to explain that killer MPG you were getting here and there if you're just sitting chilling with tunes.

When I did a long adventure trip up the Willamette this summer, there was a lot of slow cruising and no pulling. I'm sure I got way better "mileage" that day compared to normal.

I suppose another shock factor here would be the roughly 300 gallons per summer at ~$4 per gallon = $1200 of saving up for the gas fund. You know what to plan for $$ in the coming seasons! And don't feel bashful when a passenger offers you $20 (or more) for gas. That is only covering an hour of the fun for the day!

Nope, the hour meter doesn't turn unless the engine is running. I purposely tried NOT to equate those gallons to $$ but thanks for reminding me!

I don't even worry about it. I know that when my gauge is showing empty there's 10 gallons of gas left. This actually works quite well for me as I'll never get stranded and when filling, I can blast in 28 gallons and then creep the last two in so it doesn't overflow.

I typically fill up every time on the way to the lake/river unless we only put on an hour the last time out. It's not convenient to run out of gas on the river around here!

you da man
11-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I guess you can tell what days you did a lot of surfing :) and/or loaded down.

mmandley
11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I almost always put away 2K a year for boat fuel and every summer its not enough LOL. This is the only reason im thankfull the NW summers are shorter then other places

Ohh joy i see i have been assigned another Avatar. Not sure which one is worse?

bergermaister
11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
This is the only reason im thankfull the NW summers are shorter then other places What the!!!!! Have you gone mad?? Is the new avatar scrambling your brain?

sandm
11-07-2011, 07:52 PM
cab, that is a detailed chart. wish I would have done the same thing. would be interesting to track the weekend usage and see how it differs when surfing/wakeboarding and just tubing. It feels that tubing has one of the largest drains on gas...

mmandley
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
What the!!!!! Have you gone mad?? Is the new avatar scrambling your brain? no not mad yet..But at 60 a day average in fuel for the boat and 20 for the truck plus drinks thats easily 100 a day and since i go out 2 to 3 times a week in the summer and at apx 12 weeks per summer plus 2 LBC trips that cost me 200 a day in fuel and exp apx thats what? 4K in fuel almost just for the summer. You do addition if our season was 6 or 8 months long LOL

moombadaze
11-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Dang, quess I should count my blessing with the lake being 1.5 miles away and at around 50hrs a season on the boat Im only in for about $300 in gas. Why does it not feel that way ?

Well now that I think about this a little more, Kaneboats river is a one tank trip away-thats a easy $120 in gas. Wolfeman's lake is a tank and half away, so thats around 160 or so one way. I knew I spent more in gas than that this year. I feel a little better now, except for only the 50hrs on the boat

cab13367
11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I feel a little better now, except for only the 50hrs on the boat

Daze,

If I can get 65-70 hrs in a 3 month season, surely you can manage more than 50 living in FL :)

Al

viking
11-07-2011, 11:36 PM
yeah - 50 hours in florida. Thats crazy. I got 40hrs on mine from july, aug, sept. We pulled the boat and the camper (2 rigs) each weekend. I don't even want to add it up. Really doesn't matter anyhow as it's not the point. If I was worried about the cost I'd quit for sure. Probably spent $5k on fuel and camping spots alone. Then add in the food and beer - I'm going to a different thread now :)