PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Moomba-for 2011 that is

moombadaze
11-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Well the day finally came this year, was supposed to go out today but of course the wind came up, the clouds moved in and it never warmed up. Dont think we will be able to get out anymore this year due to sunday's only off and a kids birthday and holidays and holiday shopping coming up, so off to the parts store for some oil and oil filter and one last trip to the gas station to fill up-added stabil, got the oil and filter changed out, realize I really need to check my oil more often as it was a little low. Gave it a "go to bed bath", pulled the ballast bags out and started sucking water out from under the ski locker floor--its full again. Now will work on getting 2 seat covers replaced as there's tears in them. Hopefully I will get the final 2 piece's to my tower speakers someday so I can finish that little project up. May get the nerve up to clean up some balast fill plumbing or completely gut what I have and start fresh and redo the stereo amp wiring sometime during the cold season.

We have put 170hrs on the boat since buying it July 3rd 2008. Looking forward to 2012 with more hrs and good times with freinds and maybe even some family, but I'm not sure about the faimily part that at this time tho, have not had any of them in the boat for the 1st 170hrs and its been great so far so why ruin a good streak.

Looking forward to Jan 21 when the days start getting longer again

skiyaker
11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
sad day indeed Daze- I'm still hoping to take one last ride behind my beloved first moomba- especially since I'm likely going to sell it or trade it this off season. I've been sneaking out to the garage at night just to sit in it and listen to "break up" songs. Only problem is every morning that I have to scrape the windshield on my truck is a morning that I know I really need to get the boat out of the garage.

04OUTBACK
11-06-2011, 07:14 PM
no doubt.. unwrapped mine today... washed it... put tower speakers back on and folded tower back down and backed into garage... its tight...very tight in the garage.. gonna have to rearrange a bit more to be able to get wifes car in garage too... gotta have at least one in the garage for snow!
ugh.. did i just mention the white stuff...

kaneboats
11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I think we're done too. Once the highs are in the low 70's I have no takers at all. Gonna git the oil and stuff done in the next coupla weeks. Have a minor project or two to do as well.

rdlangston13
11-08-2011, 10:34 AM
We are planning a black Friday ride which will be my last ride on the year. While everyone else is shopping hopefully we will be enjoying a wonderful day on the water.

NCSUmoomba
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
How can you guys in Florida be done already? We went out to Hyco Lake yesterday here in the NC with only heater shirts and it was great. Of course it is a power plant cooling lake, so it is heated. The water temp maxed out about 72 or so in the warmest spots. What is the water temp down there in Florida like this time of year?

chawk610
11-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Sad indeed... I have an appt this Saturday at noon (for the burial of the 2011 season) at Dallas Ski. :(

kaneboats
11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Supposed to be 80 tomorrow. I'd bet my river temp is around 64 right now. I'd ride but it gets dark at 5:00 now. If I head out on Sat. I'm all by myself cuz I can't get anyone to go.

rsinger
11-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Wet suits, dry suits. You folks ever heard of them? I'd kill to be in some of your situations. We just got our first snowfall yesterday. Steams coming off the river, and it's ready to freeze. And I'm drooling to see that some of your temps are in the mid 60's and up.

Up side is I'm going to Hawaii in mid January for 2 weeks and can't wait. I'll be surfing for real.

rdlangston13
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Rivers freeze????

rsinger
11-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Rivers freeze????

Oh go stick your head in a freezer. Very funny. Come up here the beginning of February and you'll understand the term "Crazy Canucks".

kaneboats
11-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Well, we got out on Feb. 28 last "spring". Taking a break from Nov. into Feb. is not that big of a deal. There may even be a warm day in there where we do get out but it's unlikely. You get spoiled quickly when you move south. There are so many HOT days that you don't feel the need to freeze on the less than perfect ones. Some of the stuff northers can take for granted like just being outside from May through Sept. is difficult here because it's hot and there are some serious bugs. This time of year is great for just being outside and doing stuff. Unlike a lot of folks way up north we don't spend winter cooped up inside -- we spend a good part of the summer that way when we aren't on the water. There are days I can't go in my garage because it's so hot-- let alone do any kind of work in there. I do a lot of yard work and stuff in November and January, plus some dirtbike riding.

bergermaister
11-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Up side is I'm going to Hawaii in mid January for 2 weeks and can't wait. I'll be surfing for real.
On my bucket list! Was in Maui this last January but only for 5 days and for a wedding. Could have snagged a longboard for the day but it was boogie boarding with kids instead. Oh well, next time.

Would love to see some pics though!

Kane - you're dead on. Us northerners basically have to take every opportunity we can get May-Sept. And lately more like July-Sept. During that time it's a tradeoff to do other outdoor stuff or go on the boat. I take the kids fishing or hiking and in the back of my mind I'm thinking "dang, wish we were out on the boat." Usually by the end of August my yard is looking a little rough around the edges and the to-do list has gotten long because I'm out on the river every chance I get, knowing that the start of school, sports, and busy schedules is right around the corner...

I'd love to experience what it's like to be able to take the boat out anytime 10 months out of the year. That's what I was harping on Mandley about. I'd find a way to pay for the gas/beer/fun! Or more likely it wouldn't end up being these marathon all day or all weekend trips we're used to because there would be more opportunities to go at other times during the year.