PDA

View Full Version : Driving straight

helix_rider
05-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Should I expect my 'steering wheel' to be aligned such that is goes straight when the 'Moomba' is completely horizontal on the wheel? To drive straight, I need to turn the wheel about 20 degrees to the left...irritates me because I never know exactly where 'straight' is...and its a major hassle when someone new drives the boat. Is this something that I can ask my dealer to fix? I have a 1 month old '05 Mobius.

Loren

Yellowmobius
05-16-2005, 10:38 AM
It is a very easy fix. Pop the moomba cap out of the center of the steering wheel loosen the nut, pull the steering wheel off, make your adjustment (turn the wheel how you want it) and put it back on.

You don't need any special tools just a ratchet and a socket. The steering wheel on mine comes off easy. I don't need a special puller.

Your dealer could do it, however, this is a simple fix I would do myself.

ben624
05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I have the same problem... But it is only when I am going slow... About 15 to 20 MPH... When and if I open the throttle all the way.... Or the faster I go... The straighter the wheel gets... Until it is straight and I am going in a straighter line.... But I have an OUTBACK.... But I was wondering if yours does the same thing the faster you go?
Ben

OnTheH20
05-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I've noticed the steering position change on my LSV as well. Boat-speed and pulling somoene seem to affect it most.

smokedog2
05-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Ditto Inliner, the walleye fish on my Lund steering wheel is never straight either. I investigated that years ago. You can park out of the water, get the fish (or Moomba) lined up and look at your keel/ outboard to see if that is straight. But then with the right hand spin if they are lined up you know for sure you will not go straight.

Seeing them lined up may make you feel better, it did for me.

SD2

MEDIC151
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
After replacing my steering cable last season, I thought that by centering the rudder and attaching the rack, this would be straight. WRONG! I forgot about the the prop wash and that it had to be compensated for. It was an easy fix as I just detached the rack on the on the steering shaft and moved the wheel to straight and reattached. Of course I had to make sure the boat was going straight first.

It does take a little time to figure out the inboard backing and such, but now I don't think that I could drive an I/O without applying the inboard techs.