PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Mold/Mildew from vinyl seats

rickmcd59
05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
My Moomba is stored outside my house and under a cover. Every year when I get the boat ready for the summer, the vinyl is covered with a blackish mold/mildew. Does anybody have any relatively "easy" way to safely remove this mold/mildew without harming the vinyl?

Any ideas for preventative measures that can be taken to reduce the amount of mold/mildew that grows on the vinyl over the winter season?

pjtatro
05-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I have found (just this season) that the Mr Clean Magic Eraser works wonders. It does leave a slight residue so rinse with water and follow up with some form of protectant ( I recommend 303). Let me know what you think.

Pete

Wake Master
05-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Check out this product I have not tried it on Mold but it works great to clean many things.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/ro1gal.html

MEDIC151
05-14-2005, 09:03 AM
I have used the Mean Green all purpose cleaner and find that it works fairly well with some added elbow grease. I use a soft bristle brush after I let it soak for a few minutes and then rinse it afterwards. I put 3M vinyl protectant on afterwards and the only thing I would suggest is be careful once on the water as the vinyl is very slippery when wet. I speak from a recent experience as it will make your sitting down a very high speed event!

Also, I use a small ceramic heater in the boat under the cover to help dry it while stored. I have it on a switch in the garage so I can turn it on and off at will.

ben624
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I use Clorox bathroom cleaner.... I spray it on and let sit for a few minutes... And wipe it off... Then I spray on just plain tap water from another bottle... And wipe it off... My Outback is blue and white... And it will make the blue like new and the white like new.... But it does have caustic... So be sure to use water afterwards.... But it does work for me... And it doesn't make the seats slippery.
Ben