PDA

View Full Version : oil changes. there has GOT to be a faster way?

STANG KILLA SS
10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
just did my second oil change on my '11 LSV. its the first boat ive owned to have the drain tube on the oil pan.

but changing oil is worse than watching grass grow.

i get a tiny 1/16" stream coming out. it takes an hour to get less than two quarts to drain, and then it just goes to dripping. after two hours i can only get less than 3 quarts and there hardly even any drips any more.

motor is fully warm. ive tried everything. park on flat ground, park on huge hill to get some downward slope on the drain tube. ive even tried presurizing the oil pan threw the dip stick tube with my air compressor/tank! tried removing the fill cap. everything. i just cant get more than 2-2.5 quarts out. this has happened both times. its painfull slow. rediculous.

anyone have any tips? or experience with this?

im using the recomended 15W-40 (rottela T)
im thinking about switching to some 5W-30 mobil 1 sythetic for some thinner oil hoping it would drain faster. thoughts? safe?

wolfeman131
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Are you using an extractor or just relying on gravity?

I bought a $50 extractor from Tractor's Supply and it's an easy, 20-30 min job.

brain_rinse
10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Definitely get an extractor

STANG KILLA SS
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
i have one. but hate to let this drain tube go to waste.
does no one use there drain tube?
hot oil and gravity are all thats needed to change a cars oil in 5 minutes. i dont know why this is any different.
i do run 5w-30 mobil 1 in both my cars though.

thoughts on switching to 5W-30 mobil1 synthetic? safe for boat?
i assume 5W would be only 1/3 the thickness of 15W?

wolfeman131
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Ah, maybe I undrstand the difference. I put the extractor tube into the boat's oil drain tube, that way I'll pulling the old oil right from the pan vs up & out of the dipstick tube.

brain_rinse
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
5w30 is not safe for your boat and not the issue. Extractor thru the drain tube works great.

bergermaister
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I've done 3 routes - engine warmed and ready.

1) drain tube from the extractor out the transom. Had to mow the grass twice before it was done.

2) Handheld extractor/siphon pump with drain tube out the transom - 1/2 beer.

3) Drill powered extractor pump off the drain tube into oil pan. No time for beer.

STANG KILLA SS
10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
lol ok time to go dig out the old vacum extractor that came with the nautique.
points taken ;)

kaneboats
10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
I extract right from the dipstick slot. No prob. Takes about 2 beers.

STANG KILLA SS
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
problem is now i have 2-3 quarts left of cold oil.....

rdlangston13
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I have always used my extractor threw the drain tube on the oil pan with a cold motor. Takes a little longer than a warm motor i am sure but it is still relatively quick. 30 min at the most.

mmandley
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I have the drain tube as well, i think they all come with this. Comparing it to a car engine isnt fair. Ohh wait you can drain it in 45 seconds like a car, there is an oil pan plug, go ahead and pull it and drain it that way. Then you have it drained in 45 seconds but have 8 hours worth the clean up lol.

I use the extractor while tjhe engine is hot at the boat ramp while cleaning up the boat for winterizing. I pull the plug off the drain tube and let it be my vent.

zabooda
10-31-2011, 04:05 PM
My DD has no problem with a complete gravity drain in about 30 minutes. Must be something with a V drive configuration.

DOCDRS
10-31-2011, 07:05 PM
24 minutes from engine off to engine on. By the the time I remove the oil filter and replace my oil is sucked out and ready to refill. Mine is a cat so I even have to remove an exhaust hose and a O2 sensor cable to get at the filler hole. I highly discourage peeps from using the dipstick hole as it has been known to catch a plastic tube and I don't think you will get as much oil out imo

sandm
10-31-2011, 07:15 PM
i use the drain tube and the extractor. took a long time last time, but I was not in a hurry. probably 30 minutes from start to finish.

I think I'm using 20/50 synth as that's what the dealership here said to use. valvoline. I like mobile1, but I figure most of the brand names are going to be close in performance. heck, 50hrs is nothing on oil and you are changing it again..

STANG KILLA SS
10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
well i tryied the extractor pump in the drain tube method...
after a good 20 minutes i got maybe two table spoons tops :(

i tried both fill cap on and fill cap off.

brain_rinse
10-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Because it was that slow or because it's now empty? My extractor pump will pull all the oil in about 20 minutes, and you know when it's empty because you can hear the slurping.

KSmith
11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
How far into the drain tube was the extractor probe? If the probe is not long enough to reach down into the drain tube to be able to be submerged in oil (directly under engine where drain tube will be laying in the bilge) it won't draw. If the probe is too short you could get a longer probe or maybe wrap some duct tape around the probe and drain tube where they meet to seal the tubing, in theory preventing a vacuum leak.

I have a Jabsco 17800-2000 extractor. I warm up the engine to normal operating temp and use the probe into the drain tube method. You can hear when it runs out of oil to extract. It usually takes about 2-3 minutes is all once I get it setup and running, say 5 minutes tops I'd guess.

I also have the filler cap loosened to try and prevent any vacuum being created in the engine which could prevent the oil from draining efficiently out the drain tube. I haven't tried to extract the oil once it has cooled off but as small as the inside diameter (ID) of the probe is on my rig I would expect extraction times to at least double I'd guess.

I am going to be changing my oil out again soon but I am reworking the extractor tubing so I can change back and forth from a probe and a hard connection between the drain tubing and the extractor tubing, in effect lengthening the drain tubing and eliminating any chance of vacuum leakage. The second benefit is I will be using larger tubing (3/8 ID) versus the rather constrictive probe which has an ID of 9/32 I think it was. I can then use the probe for VDrive and Transmission extraction (and lawn mowers, etc) and the specific extraction tubing setup for the Moomba engine drain tube method.

moombadaze
11-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Stang, I remember changing my oil for the 1st time in the 03 LSV-could barely get any oil out at all using the drain hose with a extractor, checked the oil level with the dipstick and it was full. Tried reaching under the oil pan to see if there was a way to put a pan under there and just drain it and found the hose attached to the bottom of the oilpan was kinked bad, think it took me about 20 minutes to finally get it strait and then it worked great, all oil out in about 20 minutes. Anyway something to look into

rdlangston13
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
get a pela 6000

kaneboats
11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
you know when it's empty because you can hear the slurping.

There's a somebody's mom joke in there somewhere.

STANG KILLA SS
11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
KSMITH i had the same idea as you i sealed the extractor tube in the drain tube with duct tape. when i got the two table spoons of oil.

moombadaze- definatly no kink. i check for that when i un coiled it and routed it out the rear hole. the fitting in the bottom of the pan is a 90* elbow though. horrible for flow, but all there is room for.

rdlangston13- i have a Moeller extractor, a VERY nice unit. http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/maintenance/fluid_extractors/

if i can find my smaller tube for the extractor im going to try down the dipstick tube tonight.

KSmith
11-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey Stang Killa, what is the level of the boat, bow up, bow down, trailer level?

mmandley
11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
In my extractor its pretty nice the tube is hard plastic and clanks in the oil pan, you can her it hit the bottom and the tube is clear so when its done you see all the air bubbles. I dont recall the type but its the one posted in the start of this thread.

STANG KILLA SS
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
ksmith- ive tried both level, bow up, and bow WAY up (parked on massive hill)

mmandley - yeah that how mine is, hard plastic clear tube. two sizes.

STANG KILLA SS
11-01-2011, 04:25 PM
ksmith- ive tried both level, bow up, and bow WAY up (parked on massive hill)

mmandley - yeah that how mine is, hard plastic clear tube. two sizes.

deerfield
11-01-2011, 07:11 PM
This is a great setup for my direct drive Outback. With the engine oil warm, takes about ten minutes to suck the oil pan dry.

KSmith
11-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Any word STANG KILLA SS??

dusty2221
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Here is my method:
http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?5776-Gravity08-s-oil-pump-mod-UPDATE-COMPLETED-w-Pics

saskie99
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I use and extractor off of my old malibu direct drive ( this has the garden hose type of thread on the extractor that fits the dip stick) and I just bought a reducer to fit the drain tube and I teflon tape it so no air can get in. I am trying to remember how long it took, maybe 10-12 min including the oil filter change and the refilling the oil.

jmb
11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I have no problems draining the oil out of the drain hose but the oil does need to be warm. Does not take long at all. I would rather do it this way than use an extractor. I feel I get more drainage by just draining it with the hose.

schuylski
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I just use the gravity method with a 2010 LSV... it doesn't take THAT long.... extractor seems like a pain to me and just another thing to mess with.

Bow cranked up a little bit, drain hose out the transom. Make sure to route the drain hose UNDER the rudder rigging stuff and then out the back so the hose stays low against the bottom of the boat- learned that from experience, otherwise draining does take forever. I open up the drain, take oil fill cap off, dipstick out, and then go and change the filter. After changing the filter and putting that mess away, chatting it up, maybe 30 minutes total, the oil is done - I only usually get out a little less than 4 quarts.

cab13367
11-07-2011, 04:40 PM
well i tryied the extractor pump in the drain tube method...
after a good 20 minutes i got maybe two table spoons tops :(

i tried both fill cap on and fill cap off.

Okay, there's got to be something wrong with your extractor. I just winterized mine, drove on the river for about 15 minutes to get the oil up to temp, then pulled her out and change the oil in the boat ramp parking lot. I used a Pela 6000 extractor, nothing fancy, and I get 5 quarts out in about 10-15 minutes thru the oil drain hose. I removed the oil filler cap to act as a vent. I then moved on to the v-drive and got almost a quart out of it then the tranny and got about 1.25 quarts out of it. Been doing this same routine for the last three years and works perfect every time.

Al

WolfpackRider
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
In my experience, it's all about getting your engine warmed up enough. Last year I changed it when it was fairly cold outside (maybe mid 40s?). I ran the engine until the temp gauge showed it was warmed up. I used a Pela 6000 to extract it out the drain hose. I got about 2 quarts out before it started getting cold. Then, it started taking forever. I'd just go outside and pump it ever 30 minutes or so when I was home over the next few days until it all came out.

This year, I did it on a warmer day (around 60) and gave it time to get the whole engine bay warmed up. It only took about 20 minutes to get it all out this time.

As a side note, my oil drain hose just reaches so that it is about flush with the outside of the boat's drain hole. So, I can't really drain it out.

kaneboats
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Buy a case of beer instead of a six pack and it won't matter how long it takes.

moombadaze
11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Buy a case of beer instead of a six pack and it won't matter how long it takes.

Thats what i was thinking, what is the rush, stereo on, cold beer in hand, take your time and enjoy the memories of the summer

cab13367
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
In my experience, it's all about getting your engine warmed up enough. Last year I changed it when it was fairly cold outside (maybe mid 40s?). I ran the engine until the temp gauge showed it was warmed up. I used a Pela 6000 to extract it out the drain hose. I got about 2 quarts out before it started getting cold. Then, it started taking forever. I'd just go outside and pump it ever 30 minutes or so when I was home over the next few days until it all came out.

This year, I did it on a warmer day (around 60) and gave it time to get the whole engine bay warmed up. It only took about 20 minutes to get it all out this time.

As a side note, my oil drain hose just reaches so that it is about flush with the outside of the boat's drain hole. So, I can't really drain it out.

Were you running it on a fake a lake? I always run mine on a river, go for about a 20 minute cruise to get the oil nice and hot. I then pull it out and change the oil right there at the boat ramp parking lot. I get all 5 quarts out in about 10 minutes with a Pela 6000 inserted into the oil drain hose. And this year, it was mid-40's out when I did this.

I don't think the oil gets hot enough running at idle in the driveway.

zegm
11-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Seems like uses the gravity method on our boat only takes a few minutes. I would say I let it drain for 30 minutes while I do something else and when I return it is over with.

brain_rinse
11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
In my experience, it's all about getting your engine warmed up enough.
I agree with this. I change mine in the driveway but make sure to get the engine nice and hot.

One thing I've started doing differently is using a 5 gallon bucket in between my fake a lake and the water hose (instead of a direct connection.) The hose pressure pushed through so much cold water when directly connected that the engine took forever to even warm up and never really got hot. Now the engine sucks up only as much water as needed, and I adjust the flow of water to keep the bucket full.

WolfpackRider
11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Were you running it on a fake a lake? I always run mine on a river, go for about a 20 minute cruise to get the oil nice and hot. I then pull it out and change the oil right there at the boat ramp parking lot. I get all 5 quarts out in about 10 minutes with a Pela 6000 inserted into the oil drain hose. And this year, it was mid-40's out when I did this.

I don't think the oil gets hot enough running at idle in the driveway.

Yes, I was running on a fake a lake both times. I had plans on extracting it after our last trip out this year, but the "last trip" never happened. I do run it a little faster than idle with the transmission disengaged.

I like the idea of actually running it in the water better. It seems like this would get more particles mixed in with the ATF and V-drive oil before extracting them.

One thing I've started doing differently is using a 5 gallon bucket in between my fake a lake and the water hose (instead of a direct connection.) The hose pressure pushed through so much cold water when directly connected that the engine took forever to even warm up and never really got hot. Now the engine sucks up only as much water as needed, and I adjust the flow of water to keep the bucket full.

Interesting idea. So, you have a hose coming out of your fake a lake that just sits in the water in the 5 gallon bucket, and another hose to supply the water into the bucket?

brain_rinse
11-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Interesting idea. So, you have a hose coming out of your fake a lake that just sits in the water in the 5 gallon bucket, and another hose to supply the water into the bucket?
Yep. A little more work but works better for me.

harmsway
11-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Stang, I remember changing my oil for the 1st time in the 03 LSV-could barely get any oil out at all using the drain hose with a extractor, checked the oil level with the dipstick and it was full. Tried reaching under the oil pan to see if there was a way to put a pan under there and just drain it and found the hose attached to the bottom of the oilpan was kinked bad, think it took me about 20 minutes to finally get it strait and then it worked great, all oil out in about 20 minutes. Anyway something to look into

I had the same issue the last time draining the oil out of '08 LS. At first I had a small stream then after a minute or two it started to just drip. So I followed the hose back to were it is attached to the oil pan and there was a kink. I assume it was from the hose being bent when it is attached to the back of engine. I pushed the hose back up into the boat a little and was able work the kink out by squeezing the hose at the kinked area and the oil started to flow. Drained like normal 20-30 minutes.

Buttafewcoe
12-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Heck, when i go to change oil, after a day on the water when i get home i go ahead and start the drain and let it go overnight. then the next day, after the oil has all night to drain, plug it up and filler up, right?

FLTH2O
12-22-2011, 01:37 AM
I've changed the oil on many DD over the years and a couple things come to mind. A kink in hose or a blockage in the hose / fitting. Follow the hose carefully from pan to the end, if good try blowing backwards thru the hose. I use a drill mounted pump which takes about a minute to drain.