PDA

View Full Version : Windshields for Moomba Kanga 98

ronniek524
05-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone could help me finding a windshield for a Moomba Kanga 1998 model. There are two types of windshield, the older one is flat glass and the newer one is rounded. I called one of the dealers near my house (California) and they said the dealer in Tenesse don't have the round one. I called couple other places but no one have them. Anyone have any idea who sells them? This is frustrating since I cannot find it over 3 months :(... HELLLP

Brian Raymond
05-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Welcome to da board. You may want to contact the Skiers Choice parts "guru" Anthony Cooper. He can be reached at (865)983-9924ext 118, or email; [email protected]. Brian Raymond

ronniek524
05-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Brian,

I have contacted him, and for some reason he only have the flat top instead of the round one instock and he would not have the round one until he sell out of the flat one since he had to make a minimum order of 150 windshields just to accomodate my 1 piece. (i guess that means he cannot have it for me for sure).

smokedog2
05-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Could you ask for the glass spec sheet and have one made yourself?

Price that and replacing the whole thing.

Is it cracked? Maybey one of those windshield guys could fix it.

SD2

ronniek524
05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
SD2

Well actually the boat is in Japan, my father in-law asking me to buy it for him. Near his are, tsunami happens very often and it just happened that he could not take the boat out on time.

I thought about custom making it, but for a round glass/ window is sort of hard to get dimensions, not to even talk about the quote I got which it was tripple the cost of a regular dealer:

dealership about 1300
custom frame about 3600 or so...from i think I-boats quote

cheers :)

rk

smokedog2
05-14-2005, 12:56 AM
What would it cost to replace the frame and all? Even $1300 sounds high to me. About $3,600 was my cost for a 4' by 12' custom glass window coordinated with the door glass below. I would shop a bit more.

Ask SC if they have anything used or know of a source for used. At those prices, I'd take very used.

Ask SC for the vendor contact. Sometimes those suppliers get more flexible with an end user (why, I have no idea but they are). Ask the supplier who they would recommend for a one off. They hate sending business to the competition.

Ask the supplier if any other boat manufacturere used the same specs, a good vendor would have done the specs to make that happen, go shope for that glass.

Track down the glass vendors for the other ski boat suppliers. See what might be closs enough.

Can you swap out part of the frame and use the square glass?

At $1300 per set, 150 sets is $195,000. I call BS. They did not buy more than 500 to begin with. The vendor should be able to do better than that. Work them to 10 and get SC to buy the other 9. An 8 year old boat should still have parts or a suitable substitute available someplace.

If all else fails Check out plexiglass. That stuff is easy to form.

Good luck,

SD2

smokedog2
05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Lawyer? Who ratted me out? Technically I am a patent attorney, not to be confused with your run of the mill predator.

Aren’t you supposed to be at a party someplace? Sweden if I remember correctly.

SD2

Oh, I did not say I knew how to bend Plexiglas, I just knew it could be done.

smokedog2
05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
You have not seen me there lately. My wife thinks anything tasty is bad for you. I don’t know if ribs will kill me but my wife will if she catches me with them.

While she was out of town I cooked my 9-year-old his first ribs. Now he tries to order them every time we eat out. Guess who hears about that.

SD2