PDA

View Full Version : Turn Key - Nothing

Garn
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
This past weekend I was out in my 07 LS Direct Drive. Boat was running great. Then in the middle of the day, I turned the key to start the engine and absolutely nothing. I kept turning but nothing. The gauges I noticed were working. Then in suddenly turned over and started right up. I turned it off a bit later and the same thing. That happened twice. But then rest of the day I had no problems at all. Any idea what's going on? I also noticed that my check engine light is on.

Thanks,

Garn

wolfeman131
10-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Zegm just had to replace his ignition switch in his 08 LS.

jmvotto
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
i would concur, check the ignition switch.

zegm
10-25-2011, 01:39 PM
This past weekend I was out in my 07 LS Direct Drive. Boat was running great. Then in the middle of the day, I turned the key to start the engine and absolutely nothing. I kept turning but nothing. The gauges I noticed were working. Then in suddenly turned over and started right up. I turned it off a bit later and the same thing. That happened twice. But then rest of the day I had no problems at all. Any idea what's going on? I also noticed that my check engine light is on.

Thanks,

Garn

Sounds like the problem we had. We could turn the key and get power to the gauges but not to the starter. It started out like you stated but then got worse as the summer wore on. Call Atlanta Marine and get you a new switch. Easy to change. Total cost after shipping was 40 dollars. Now I am wondering if it is only an LS problem, you know since SC decided not to market the boat anymore did they clean out the bad parts on the LS? :D

walb0244
10-25-2011, 03:32 PM
I do know that when the boat is not in neutral you will have the same results. I had that happened to me one day. Someone had left the boat in gear when they turned the boat off. When I went to start it nothing from the engine but guages would work. So maybe one thing to check would be to check and make sure the neutral safety switch is working properly. Just a idea before putting in a new ignition.

zegm
10-25-2011, 03:54 PM
I do know that when the boat is not in neutral you will have the same results. I had that happened to me one day. Someone had left the boat in gear when they turned the boat off. When I went to start it nothing from the engine but guages would work. So maybe one thing to check would be to check and make sure the neutral safety switch is working properly. Just a idea before putting in a new ignition.

I have to agree you probably need to do some checking with a ohm meter on the back of the switch to check the continuity first. Our problem was that as we turned the switch the engine light would come on but as you turned the switch further to start the engine the starter would engage, the engine would turn over, but the engine light and gauges would turn off. You cannot start the engine without the engine light on as this means there is now NO power to the ignition and fuel injection. So we would keep trying, wiggiling the switch until we could get the starter going with the engine light on. It was easy at first but as the weeks went on it got worse.
Not saying it is not your switch but it would save you 40 dollars if it indeed was your neutral start switch, which I have had go bad on an old MC. Actually it was not plugged in good on the transmission (loose). I am not sure where this switch is on the Moomba.

viking
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM

YUP - me too! one of the kids bumped it just enough that it registered "off" neutral. Took me a good 15min. to finally diagnose the problem. 2nd checking the connections on the neutral safety. Great idea :)

Garn
10-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Where would I find the connections for the neutral safety switch?