PDA

View Full Version : Specs and price on 2012 Surf Platform - SC please read

mnpracing
10-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I would like to get the measurements on the 2012 Surf Platform as well as a price. A nearby dealer has been less than helpful, so I thought I'd post the question up here, in hopes that SC will see this and respond. Simply looking for max length and max width, and a price. Looking to put one on my '08 LSV.

psycho-heico
10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
This would be a great group buy idea....

wolfeman131
10-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Mnpracing,

I heard back from Atlanta Marine on the 2012 surf platform. Measurements are 66" x 29 1/4". As someone had guessed better than me previously, it's not what I would define as inexpensive after you add in the cost of the non-skid, a rub rail (?) and freight. Total came in right around $1,000.

mmandley
10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I have np spending 1K on this item but what i want to see is what difference am i really getting over the standard deck we have now. I have the original and i also have the new upgraded swim deck. Now i want to see what this new "surf" deck can really do for my wave.

KG's Supra24
10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Mnpracing,

I heard back from Atlanta Marine on the 2012 surf platform. Measurements are 66" x 29 1/4". As someone had guessed better than me previously, it's not what I would define as inexpensive after you add in the cost of the non-skid, a rub rail (?) and freight. Total came in right around $1,000.

Anyone have the specs on the current platform?

I guess I have a hard time seeing it help that much for 1k.

dusty2221
10-24-2011, 11:00 AM
^ Agree, for 1k...not a chance I'd pay it.

wolfeman131
10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
From what I was told, a new, current platform will have a similar cost as the non-skid & shipping are the same. The improvement in the surf wave is a result of the shape of the platform as it doesn't have as much lip cutting into the wave. I'd really like to see a side-by-side comparison and will see if I can't get a demo set up at Atlanta Marine once they get a surf platform in.

jmvotto
10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I have the original and i also have the new upgraded swim deck. Now i want to see what this new "surf" deck can really do for my wave.

I did not know there was a standard swim deck and a new and improved swim deck , in the last couple years.

mnpracing
10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I did not know there was a standard swim deck and a new and improved swim deck , in the last couple years.

I don't think there was, althought is the Supra swim deck different or is it just that it has the grab rail?

wolfeman131
10-24-2011, 03:08 PM
NEW for this year on both Supra & Moomba is an optional surf platform.

jmvotto
10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Yes, i know about the surf option, but mike states he has the "original" and the "upgraded" swim deck ???

wolfeman131
10-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Oh, sorry about that JV. I see now what you were referencing.

mmandley
10-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Yes, i know about the surf option, but mike states he has the "original" and the "upgraded" swim deck ???

Yes there was a change in the 2010 platform, it wasnt so much they anounced it but theres a significant difference in the thickness around the back side of the platform. I will get some pics when i can, right now my camara charger is broken, im planning on just buying a new D5100 in a week or so.

When you look at the topside of the platforms there exactly the same. When you flip them over on my original one the sides and rear lip are only about 1/4 ich thick and new one is clower to 1 inch thick. DOnt quote me on this yet but when i get a chance ill post some pics with measurements. In the pics alone you can see how deefed up the deck lip is.

jmvotto
10-24-2011, 08:04 PM
thanks mike. did not know that. good to know.

rdlangston13
10-24-2011, 11:41 PM
when it comes to the surf platform this may not be relevant due to it being an entirely diff boat, but on my buddies mb f21 tomcat the platform is the "surf style" and it does not even touch the water at surf speed

jmvotto
10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
FYI, the surf platform in person is much smaller, so if you like hanging out on it or have kids that like to sit and jump off it , you will be cramped for space. its like the old Slalom Platfoms on MC and Nautque, maybe not that small but small.

IMHO of course.

KG's Supra24
10-25-2011, 10:09 AM
That was kinda my thought. I can't imagine giving up much space, my daughter uses it all the time to play on.

kaneboats
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm with you. No change here. Surf wake is good as is.

brain_rinse
10-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm with you. No change here. Surf wake is good as is.
I was wondering this myself. Is the current platform really causing any problems with the surf wave? Mine is huge, long, and clean. (TWSS)

wolfeman131
10-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Mine is huge, long, and clean.

Pervert. You need to ban yourself.

wolfeman131
10-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Atlanta Marine has a surf platform in stock and has offered for me to take a boat out with the stock & surf platform so I can see & video the difference. Who knows, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

KG's Supra24
10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Def get pics of the size of the platform, not just the wave.

That's awesome they will let you compare them. Might get some people interested in switching them out.

wolfeman131
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
switching them out.

seems to be a theme for you & your bromance today

mnpracing
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Atlanta Marine has a surf platform in stock and has offered for me to take a boat out with the stock & surf platform so I can see & video the difference. Who knows, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

That's great! Thanks for doing this.

bergermaister
10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by brain_rinse
Mine is huge, long, and clean.

Pervert. You need to ban yourself.

Dusty and KG's Moms like him that way though...

BAM! BAM!

ericnel
11-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I went and saw the new MOJO today and took a couple of pictures of the surf platform. Notice it has a finished bottom with no lip for water to catch.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/ericnelknox/IMG_0028.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/ericnelknox/IMG_0029.jpg

dusty2221
11-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Niiiiice! This thing needs to be on the water weighted for surfing pronto. I'm blown away this was not done for the official photo shoot....

wolfeman131
11-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Niiiiice! This thing needs to be on the water weighted for surfing pronto. I'm blown away this was not done for the official photo shoot....

I'm not surprised. My guess is that its related to legal liability. Im sure this boat will have one of those annoying yellow stickers that states the max weight and SC isn't going to show that or a wave that isn't from a fully weighted boat.

ericnel
11-10-2011, 09:33 PM
THe rear lockers a very big. I think you will be able to have bunch of wieght hidden. I will take some more picks soon.

kaneboats
11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Nice work! Maybe winter project to fill mine in some.

mmandley
11-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I would have to say the reason why they didnt show weighted pics of the boat in surf form has more to do with engine break in. In the manuals it talks about a burn in period of 10 engine hours before the engine is really asked to perform under a heavy load. It reccoments no tubing, wake boarding, or pulling of any kind till the engine has reached 10hrs. Maybe they opted to not exceed the boats onboard capcities due to this very issue so there would be no liability when the new owner buys the boat.

dusty2221
11-10-2011, 10:16 PM
So you think SC developed a brand new hull, used a brand new engine, basically new everything and didn't take the time to test, break in, and see how the thing performs for what it was made? This is the second Mojo we have seen and still no pics of what everyone is asking for.

Drew, I don't buy it. Just about every manufacturer has pics of these boats doing what we buy them for. If this is the case, they never should comment on how it is a great surf boat, has an all new surf platform, etc. All this talk is worthless without pics.

This may come across negative, its not, I'm obv a huge SC fan, but let's be serious here, there is no reason I can think of that there aren't at least a few pics floating around of at least a factory loaded ballast Mojo doing what we are told it was designed for.

Sent from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

KG's Supra24
11-10-2011, 10:23 PM
That's whats up. We want pics before we occupy mojo!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk ..... Ps, pwi

jmvotto
11-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Mike was there not an sc pro on here that was boarding behind one and commented on the boarding wake, they obviously broke it in to do that, they still could have shown someone surfing behing it.

my .02

FWIW shad rack list the boat as 23ft in the listing and a lsv as 21ft:-|

mmandley
11-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Yes they had a Wake boarder out there but that was there Test model, it might have been broken in already. IDK i was just thoughing out my thoughts as to why there might not be any pics of it saced out.

Pulling a Wake Boarder isnt as hard on the engine drive train as surfing is id expect. IDK i have asked my boat which it prefers to do lol.

I agree there should be surfing pics of the boat saced and doing that thing, but there isnt. I know when i got my boat new it had .3 hr and they specifically told me no tubing, boarding or surfing till it had 10hrs and i followed the break in instruction to a T.

you da man
11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
So here we are, over a month since release and no surf pics. Boat shows are on the horizon and season is over for almost all except those with drysuits and/or good wetsuits and a crew who doesn't mind a chill in the air. I guess we'll have to wait until Spring to see real surf pics and SC dealers will have nothing to show potential buyers of actual surf pics/vids at the boat shows...only "we're told it has a great surf wake". It goes back to...no pics/video then it didn't happen. Just my opinion on a boat I'm excited about for SC.

bergermaister
11-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I have to agree... With all the sneak peaks we saw from those who first saw the prototype and filtered photos out onto the web you'd think SOMEONE would have loaded one up, leaned it over and taken it for a ride with camera and surf board (and maybe a few extras sacs) in hand.

I'm excited to see what this thing will do - not just "imagine" what it will do... Hey SC, if you're listening, I've got some ideas for you! Where do I send my resume?

viking
11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I really like the clean finished platform though. Looks like you could use the platform itself as a surfboard :)

you da man
11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I have to agree... With all the sneak peaks we saw from those who first saw the prototype and filtered photos out onto the web you'd think SOMEONE would have loaded one up, leaned it over and taken it for a ride with camera and surf board (and maybe a few extras sacs) in hand.

I'm excited to see what this thing will do - not just "imagine" what it will do... Hey SC, if you're listening, I've got some ideas for you! Where do I send my resume?

Count me in...I have 3100lbs of fat sacs I can bring.

pmoomba
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
In terms of the freight cost, if anyone is ordering but isn't in a hurry, maybe your dealer can work something out where it's delivered inside another new boat so there isn't any extra shipping. I know some other dealers do things like that.

mnpracing
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM
anyone have any video from behind the boat with the new surf platform to see how or if the water comes in contact with it?

wolfeman131
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I've put up a few from my Mojo. I think it works great as it eliminates that "rooster tail" that the corner & lip create with with standard one. IMO, it creates a cleaner face on the wave.

However, it didn't improve my already mad skillz . . . . :)

moombadaze
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
looked at a new lsv that had the new surf platform and can see how it will help with the surf wave spray that I get when surfing with my boat.

Jeffro
06-06-2012, 08:10 AM
I just put one on my LSV 07. It sure takes a lot of pressure off the platform when surfing because the platform never touches the water. That was my main reason for the change. I do have to run 1/2 to 3/4 plate now, where before I ran 0 to 1/2 depending on the amount of ballast to keep the wake clean. I have 1100 rear & 400 center, and use a spare 750 on the seats if I don't have more than 3 or 4 persons.

mnpracing
06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I just put one on my LSV 07. It sure takes a lot of pressure off the platform when surfing because the platform never touches the water. That was my main reason for the change. I do have to run 1/2 to 3/4 plate now, where before I ran 0 to 1/2 depending on the amount of ballast to keep the wake clean. I have 1100 rear & 400 center, and use a spare 750 on the seats if I don't have more than 3 or 4 persons.

Why do you have to run 1/2 to 3/4 wake plate with the new platform? (I'm assuming you mean down, so 3/4 down would be almost parallel with the hull)?

Did you just order the platform through your dealer? How long did it take to get?

Also, did you reuse your existing brackets off the old platform, and how did you secure the new platform on? Sorry for the 20 questions....

Jeffro
06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Need the plate now because the platform does not drag in the water like the old one did. My old one was actualy acting like the plate to some degree. Atlanta Marine did the install, using existing brackets. They drilled and tapped 4 bolts into the brackets to take the play out. It took 3 weeks for Moomba to ship it. I did call Skiers Choice to make sure it would work before I had them order it.

mnpracing
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I just ordered the surf platform from the new local dealer. Should have in about 3 weeks. Hope it's worth it.

kaneboats
06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Please post some video of it on the LSV. Love to see what it does.

E4NASH
06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Need the plate now because the platform does not drag in the water like the old one did. My old one was actualy acting like the plate to some degree. Atlanta Marine did the install, using existing brackets. They drilled and tapped 4 bolts into the brackets to take the play out. It took 3 weeks for Moomba to ship it. I did call Skiers Choice to make sure it would work before I had them order it.

May I ask how much it ran you? Was it complete with rubrail and padding on the deck or are those separate items that must be added when ordering the platform? I am also thinking about ordering it.

mnpracing
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Jeffro, did you order yours with the SS rubrail? I ordered mine without it, since my current platform doesn't have one I didn't figure I'd miss it. And it seems like the screw holes for the rubrail would be a likely suspect for potential water intrusion into the platform.

bergermaister
06-12-2012, 06:49 PM
And it seems like the screw holes for the rubrail would be a likely suspect for potential water intrusion into the platform.

Or scratch up your front side pretty good pulling yourself up on it. I thought that of all platforms I saw with a rail at the boat show earlier this year.

jpetty3023
06-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm also interested in the cost if you don't mind sharing.

ZSullivan
06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
My local dealer here in Las Vegas, told me it would be 549.99 plus 49.99 for new brackets for the surf platform with the SS Rubrail... that sound correct?

mnpracing
06-16-2012, 10:53 PM
My local dealer here in Las Vegas, told me it would be 549.99 plus 49.99 for new brackets for the surf platform with the SS Rubrail... that sound correct?

+ $350 for the non-skid...

Jeffro
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Sorry for the delay, here are the pictures with the set screws:

Jeffro
06-22-2012, 12:18 PM
It does have the SS Rubrail and End Cap.

mnpracing
07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Dealer called to say that my new surf platform is in! Bad news is that I'm gone for a week so won't be able to mount it and test it until the 28th.

tgoody14
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
+ $350 for the non-skid...

Soooo what was the final say on this surf platform!? Final cost? Is it worth it? Do I have to order it from my dealer!?!?...

mnpracing
04-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Soooo what was the final say on this surf platform!? Final cost? Is it worth it? Do I have to order it from my dealer!?!?...
I don't remember the final cost, but I really liked the new platform. I felt it was worth it. Some people spend that on stereo equip, just depends on what your preference is. I thought it didn't need to be so deep, it is at 6 inches deeper than the stock platform, which gave me concern not to stand on the back edge of it much since it would be putting more strain on the brackets, but I may have just been overly cautious. The curvature of the sides allowed the water to pass right by it, so the platform was not dragging water. To me it was worth it.

mmandley
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't remember the final cost, but I really liked the new platform. I felt it was worth it. Some people spend that on stereo equip, just depends on what your preference is. I thought it didn't need to be so deep, it is at 6 inches deeper than the stock platform, which gave me concern not to stand on the back edge of it much since it would be putting more strain on the brackets, but I may have just been overly cautious. The curvature of the sides allowed the water to pass right by it, so the platform was not dragging water. To me it was worth it.

I have the new Surf platform on my Mojo and Love it.

Like said, it doesnt drag in the wave now and the transition is much cleaner. Now.

I am not to worried about standing on the rear, i have done it several times and no issues.

How ever, im looking at getting some rubber edging to go around the lip, last time we were out my dog got a nasty gash in his rear leg from one of the corners on the platform, he has never had that happen and id hate for that to be a knee..

As for the new Mounting brakets with the pins to tighten the platform up so it doesnt rattle.

Well the first set of pins were allen heads counter sunk into the bolts, they striped right out, so my dealer used SS screws with larger heads that wont strip out as easy.

Deff love the platform.

mnpracing
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I don't like that they "dumbed-down" the surf platform by not finishing the bottom. The one I bought had a finished bottom with a SS rubrail around it to match the boat. I would not have bought one if the bottom wasn't finished. I don't think that is an option any longer, unless you get a Supra platform.

wolfeman131
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
The bottom is finished for '13, but it isn't a 2 piece design like it was in '12 or on Supras.

Riding23
04-15-2013, 11:48 PM
did anyone actually ever post the final pricing on the platform and brackets?

wolfeman131
04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
It was just shy of $1k with shipping. Should be less this year for the 1 piece platform.

mnpracing
04-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I pulled my invoice:

$575 - Fiberglass Swim Platform
$350 - Surf Platform non-skid
$159.92 - Shipping and Handling
$67.29 - sales tax
$1,152.21 - Total

This was the version with the flat finished bottom (no lip), and a SS rubrail around the edge. This did not include new brackets, as I used the brackets off the old platform.