PDA

View Full Version : the new ride (truck that is)

moombadaze
10-16-2011, 04:28 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/029.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/030.jpg

2011 Dodge Ram Lorado 4x4 HEMI Crew Max

now with a little Moomba love
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/053.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/054.jpg

kaneboats
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh so sweet! Heated and cooled seats too.

jmvotto
10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
nice ride. like the retro moomba decals

rdlangston13
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
moomba paying you for the free advertising? how does the 390hp hemi tow compared to the 345hp hemi?

brain_rinse
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
moomba paying you for the free advertising?
Just the standard moderator salary. :)

Nice truck dude!

wolfeman131
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Nice! I see you added the bed cover.

newty
10-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Beauty! Congrats Daze!

saskyrider
10-17-2011, 12:09 AM
ATTA BOY Daze!!!! absolutely love my 2010 Laramie!! i'm at 60K on it now and not a lick of trouble. the heated seats and steering wheel are the best thing for countering the saskatchewan winters!! and the cooled seats are great in the summer for reducing swazz!! haha. I moved up from a 2005 ram to my 2010 and the change in power was amazing.... when you want to get out and pass someone and you step on it... it gets up and rips!! They moved to a garmin GPS in the 2011 models if you had the nav. option... way better than what was in my truck...

enjoy!!!

Geoff

moombadaze
10-17-2011, 07:37 AM
nice ride. like the retro moomba decals

I have allways like them too-thanks

moomba paying you for the free advertising? how does the 390hp hemi tow compared to the 345hp hemi?

that xtra 45hp is amazing, I was kicking around the idea of getting a used diesel but now im so glad i didnt.

Nice! I see you added the bed cover. Got the one you recomended-thanks, I love being able to roll it up. Got the bed rug too-Lets just say i'll never have a bed liner again!

moombadaze
10-17-2011, 07:41 AM
ATTA BOY Daze!!!! absolutely love my 2010 Laramie!! i'm at 60K on it now and not a lick of trouble. the heated seats and steering wheel are the best thing for countering the saskatchewan winters!! and the cooled seats are great in the summer for reducing swazz!! haha. I moved up from a 2005 ram to my 2010 and the change in power was amazing.... when you want to get out and pass someone and you step on it... it gets up and rips!! They moved to a garmin GPS in the 2011 models if you had the nav. option... way better than what was in my truck...

enjoy!!!

Geoff

got the navy option too. Those seat chillers are the poop, amazing how refreshing it is on a long drive, even used the stering wheel heater too the other morning-course I had to have the windows down to take advantage of it .

sandm
10-17-2011, 08:50 AM
good looking truck.. always exciting to get a new toy :)

enjoy...

04OUTBACK
10-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Great looking rig!

dusty2221
10-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Congrats on the new rig man, but someone should let you know that some fool has a Dodge hooked up to your boat!

Post up the real new ride!!!!

:)

harmsway
10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice looking tow rig. Last year of the dodge truck, in 2012 they lose the dodge name and go strictly by RAM trucks.

KG's Supra24
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Good looking truck .. I can't believe it made this far before you got a "that thing got a hemi?"

you da man
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Nice truck. When she grows up she'll have the Cummins...lol j/k. The new Dodge trucks are slowly growing on me but I still prefer the previous generation look. They've really improved the Dodge truck interiors. Enjoy her!!!

wolfeman131
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
an all time favorite.

"schweeeet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyrcP5utXt4

mmandley
10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice looking truck Daze. I have to disagree about the choice of a Diesel over gas but if its a Used disel over New Gas i can understand LOL. I wouldnt buy a Used Cummins due to the trans problems from people abusing the trucks.

I myself would love to have gotten a new Dodge Diesel but i dont regret for 1 second i got Black Betty

rdlangston13
10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Shoulda got an ecoboost. The 3.5 v6 would show that hemi who's boss! Ahahahahahaaaa. But nice looking truck tho! Wish I could a afford a new one, guess my ole 2006 lonestar will have to work for now

kaneboats
10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
2006??? That's "NEW", not "ole".

Razzman
10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Great looking truck 'Daze! I've always loved the Dodges for their toughness. I wanted a Dodge when I bought the GMC but the wife didn't like the "truck" interior, she wanted more, whatever. Next one's a Dodge. The hemi is fine unless your towing massive weight. As for the Ecoboost, I drove one a few weeks ago and was not impressed in the least bit, wayyy over hyped imo.

Mikey
10-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice looking truck, but gotta ask where did the Moomba stickers come from?

moombadaze
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Never even considered the ecoboost, just not a Ford guy, allways been Chevy guy till Chevy didnt have what I needed and Dodge did, Started with a 4x4 Dakota quadcab- put 50k trouble free miles on it. Next knew I wanted the 06 body style LSV and that the Dakota would not handle it for drives out of state-if was just strickly for my local lake about 2 miles away I'd still have that Dakota, anyway at that time I just didnt like the looks of my favorite (Chevy) and again looked at Dodge, test drove the 06 Ram Hemi and bought it that day, put 63k trouble free miles on it. Never had to much issues towing the LSV with the bed loaded down with camping gear except for the heavy ass oversized tires. Was time to upgrade again as the quad cabs have the smallest rear seat and my daughter was cramped back there, not fun driving for 4+hrs with her knees into my seatback. Again looked at Chevy first and was just not excited about them for various reasons, so back to Dodge again, checked out the crewmax 1500 and pretty much ordered what I wanted right then--3 days later Im driving it home. As for the diesel, dont get me wrong as I think it would be awesome to have one its just the 7+k extra over the standard hemi in the 3/4 ton truck just wasnt going to happen and I really dont need a 3/4 tn truck to start with. We make about 2-3 trips a year towing 5-9 hrs one way on mostly flat ground- I work 11 miles away from home so a gasser is my best option.

Razz, take her for a ride in the new Dodge-this truck rides smoother than my civic. Coil springs for the rear. The inside is not "truck" at all-leather, heated seats and steering wheel, seat chillers, console shifter-the dash with its soft touch pad-9 speaker stereo system, navy, backup camera....its just so much nicer on the inside that the last bodystyle

moombadaze
10-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Nice looking truck, but gotta ask where did the Moomba stickers come from?

rear window stickers I just picked up off ebay for $19

rdlangston13
10-18-2011, 09:17 PM
As for the Ecoboost, I drove one a few weeks ago and was not impressed in the least bit, wayyy over hyped imo.

did you tow with it? from how it seems it will pretty much drive like a normal truck unloaded but it does not bog down much when loaded down. everyone i have talked to who has one and tows with it is blown away but the performance.

it seems like dodge is offering the most for your dollar right now, all the other companies make good trucks but dodge is making good trucks at a good price. get some pictures of the interior!

moombadaze
10-19-2011, 07:06 AM
get some pictures of the interior!

will do soon

mmandley
10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I hear ya Daze on your reason and i would make the same choice in your situation lol. I tow quite a bit and since i drive longer distance to work now im glad to have the diesel as it gets a lot better milage then my F150 did and its designed to last a lot longer as in drive train life.

I will consider a new Dodge Diesel as i love the new body style and interior but untill they put a true 1 Ton trans in the diesel now the 1/2 ton trans suped up i wont buy it. Just to many trans issues on the Dodge Diesel forums.

As for the Eco Boost i hear good and bad things, i havnt driven one yet but at the price of that truck you can get a Diesel for a little more and be so much more happy. Ill put my Diesel up against an Eco boost any day for milage and towing.

rdlangston13
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I will consider a new Dodge Diesel as i love the new body style and interior but untill they put a true 1 Ton trans in the diesel now the 1/2 ton trans suped up i wont buy it. Just to many trans issues on the Dodge Diesel forums.

As for the Eco Boost i hear good and bad things, i havnt driven one yet but at the price of that truck you can get a Diesel for a little more and be so much more happy. Ill put my Diesel up against an Eco boost any day for milage and towing.

spend any time on any forum of any manufacturer and they will all start to seem like crappy vehicles. when i worked at for cadillac it sure seemed like cadillacs broke down all the time...

the ecoboost engine will run you 500 more than the 5.0. no where near a comparably equipped diesel. The ecoboost will get stomped by a diesel in towing, its a 3.5 L v6 turbo gas motor vs a 6.7L turbo diesel motor... But when up against other gas motors it does the ass whipping and is rated to tow 11,300 lbs...more than anyones boat weighs on here

mmandley
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
spend any time on any forum of any manufacturer and they will all start to seem like crappy vehicles. when i worked at for cadillac it sure seemed like cadillacs broke down all the time...

the ecoboost engine will run you 500 more than the 5.0. no where near a comparably equipped diesel. The ecoboost will get stomped by a diesel in towing, its a 3.5 L v6 turbo gas motor vs a 6.7L turbo diesel motor... But when up against other gas motors it does the ass whipping and is rated to tow 11,300 lbs...more than anyones boat weighs on here

Well i was refering to real world people who own it. most of the time any forum you goto will sound like the vechicle it supports is crap because unlike this boat forum most people use forums to complain and look for fixes to complaints LOL.

It might be weighted for 11500 but id like to see it pull and stop it. My F150 4x4 supercab was rated at 10K and i had it paid off but for me it wasnt adiquate enough to pull Fierah to all the places i like to go and so i sold it for a diesel, i also had other reason for buying a diesel but just pulling the boat was truly reason enough for me.

I wont go into this topic as we had a long heated thread on this but just because they say it can pull it doesnt mean it should.

Just yesterday i was pulling the boat to the lake and every time i stoped i could really feel the boat pushing on the truck. I checked the trailer brake fluid later and its very low. Whu? IDK yet thats something i need to figure out but i can say if i didnt have such big brakes and 4 wheel disks on my rig i think that boat would ahve shoved me around a bit. I know at LBC i disable the trailer brakes as i go down a long grade ot the water and if you dont disable them you will be waiting at the ramp for 30+ minutes for your brakes to cool before launch and that boat feels dam heavy when it doesnt have brakes on it.

dru1974
10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
I have had my 2010 Laramie for a while towed alot with it. Lots and lots of power. Not towing I get highway 27 mpg towing not so good but what an awsome truck. Congrats a great family vehicle.

rdlangston13
10-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Well i was refering to real world people who own it. most of the time any forum you goto will sound like the vechicle it supports is crap because unlike this boat forum most people use forums to complain and look for fixes to complaints LOL.

It might be weighted for 11500 but id like to see it pull and stop it. My F150 4x4 supercab was rated at 10K and i had it paid off but for me it wasnt adiquate enough to pull Fierah to all the places i like to go and so i sold it for a diesel, i also had other reason for buying a diesel but just pulling the boat was truly reason enough for me.

I wont go into this topic as we had a long heated thread on this but just because they say it can pull it doesnt mean it should.

Just yesterday i was pulling the boat to the lake and every time i stoped i could really feel the boat pushing on the truck. I checked the trailer brake fluid later and its very low. Whu? IDK yet thats something i need to figure out but i can say if i didnt have such big brakes and 4 wheel disks on my rig i think that boat would ahve shoved me around a bit. I know at LBC i disable the trailer brakes as i go down a long grade ot the water and if you dont disable them you will be waiting at the ramp for 30+ minutes for your brakes to cool before launch and that boat feels dam heavy when it doesnt have brakes on it.

there are some pretty good videos on YouTube from Ford of the testing of the ecoboost F150. one of the tests was to pull a trailer loaded with 11,300 lbs at WOT for 24 hours, only stopping for fuel and driver change. They did this at homestead miami raceway, they had some cameras placed in the engine compartment and you can see the turbos glowing red from heat but no failures. It was knocking down about 80-85 mph the whole time too. Now I know it was put out by ford so it may be biased but that is pretty tough testing.

As for brakes, my boat feels like it is pushing my truck alot more than it used too but the fluid is full. I did replace a caliper in june but i was pretty sure we bled the brakes pretty good. My truck has warped rotors I am assuming on the front, every truck i have owned it seems gets warped rotors, maybe i dont know how to drive??

mmandley
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
HAHA Dave i doubt its use unless you change the pads and dont resurface the rotors or you resurface the rotors and do hard stops the first 1k miles. This is generaly what causes wraped rotors.

That is an impressive test for the Ecoboost.

I know in my truck if i WOT i have to shut it down after about 30 sec or 95MPH because mt exhaust temps go over 1500 degrees and the turbo can be damaged at that point.
I can tell you its pretty crazy feeling punching it from about 45MPH and watching the Speedo hit 95 in about 6 seconds LOL. Course going from a dead stop in 4x4 to 60 in 5.5 sec feels pretty wild in a 8500lb diesel LOL. Not the best thing to power brake the truck to build 10 PSI of boost but it sure wakes up the rice burning cars that think my big ole diesel is slow LOL. Brakes wont hold 12 PSI of boot is literaly start braking the brakes grab

MOOMBA_97
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
That is a good looking truck. The Dodges have grown on me. I almost bought the one that I asked you about but ended up going with a Ford Supercrew 4x4. Probably will wish I had the Hemi later but I have had nothing but good luck with the Fords over the years.

moombadaze
10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Monty, missed you and the family at the Flint this year. I was wondering what truck you got

rdlangston13
10-20-2011, 08:40 PM
That is a good looking truck. The Dodges have grown on me. I almost bought the one that I asked you about but ended up going with a Ford Supercrew 4x4. Probably will wish I had the Hemi later but I have had nothing but good luck with the Fords over the years.

what motor did you get in your ford?

Razzman
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I know at LBC i disable the trailer brakes as i go down a long grade ot the water and if you dont disable them you will be waiting at the ramp for 30+ minutes for your brakes to cool before launch and that boat feels dam heavy when it doesnt have brakes on it.

Mike, just curious but what do you do that for? I've never disabled them and I tow at least an hour and launch usually within 10 minutes of getting there, more than once immediately. Never had any issues on any of my trailers doing that.

bergermaister
10-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah - same here and gone down the same big hill at LBC. I shift down and let compression slow me some so I'm not getting the brakes too glowing hot but never had any issues and I get in the water as fast as I can. Once I saw a little steam as I went in, but that was it and I only have brakes on the front axle of the trailer.

mnpracing
10-21-2011, 09:09 AM
For those of you will diesel's in colder regions, what issues are there in the winter time with starting, or have those been rectified over the years? My understanding is that diesel's have issues starting in subzero temps. Is that still the case, or is my thinking a la 1980's?

wolfeman131
10-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Mmandley will be sure to chime in, but he recently posted about having to plug his truck in. Not sure if it's for the block like in the 80's (my first car was a diesel Cutlass Supreme :) or just for keeping the oil warm so if flows better at start up.

bergermaister
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Used the be that diesel would gel in cold climates. Since there's no spark it's all combustion as you guys probably already know and thick stuff doesn't want to flow through tiny orifices of injectors or ignite very easily. Oil flow would be a big help too.

I'm no mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night... :p

wolfeman131
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry Daze, but your thread has officially been JACKED!

kaneboats
10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Going, going, GONE :

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/JACK.jpg

mmandley
10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
HAHAH on the jacked. All threads get jacked around here most of the time LOl.

Razz the hill down to lake at LBC is super steep and the first couple times i went i didnt disable the trailer brakes and they get so hot they are almost smoking and you can easily smell and stand by the wheels and feel the heat off them. With the water being 70 at best you dont want to stick the trailer in the water or you can blow out axle seals and damage the braking system.

As for Cold starting Diesels, you have a couple issues, Gelling is one of them but with winter blend fuels its not so much an issue unless your in sub 0 temps. Then you add fuel addidtives to stop that. You will have more problems if your running Bio Diesel then regular diesel.

Also with newer engines you wont have cold start issues. The biggest reason i run my block heater in the winter is because 4 gallons of oil is really hard on a engine to pump and cycle threw. Also Diesels are designed to run much hotter then gas engines and so this si where when a diesel is cold it gets horrible gas milage. Much much worse then a cold gas engine.

rdlangston13
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Also Diesels are designed to run much hotter then gas engines and so this si where when a diesel is cold it gets horrible gas milage. Much much worse then a cold gas engine.

this might not be comparable since the engine on my cement skid is a 750hp turbo v12 but it runs at about 160 degrees. which is a little cooler than a gas engine which typically runs at 180-190

mmandley
10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
this might not be comparable since the engine on my cement skid is a 750hp turbo v12 but it runs at about 160 degrees. which is a little cooler than a gas engine which typically runs at 180-190

Correct but then again its not running for fuel milage lol. The reason Disels in trucks we drive run hotter is for better fuel consuption. If you run a diesel cooler it will run just fine but it wont run as efficient and running rich does allow for it to run cooler. Meaning mainly that a construction diesel will generaly run cooler most of the time like you said but im sure if you start making it really work it will heat up a decent amount.

moombadaze
10-21-2011, 06:40 PM
never seen a thread that didnt get jacked around here at some point, heck think Ive jacked a few myself-1 or 2 at least-ha

MOOMBA_97
10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
what motor did you get in your ford?

5.4 L. It's an 07, not a brand new one with the 5.0. Hard to believe that the boat still has more HP than the truck pulling it.

rdlangston13
10-21-2011, 08:56 PM
5.4 L. It's an 07, not a brand new one with the 5.0. Hard to believe that the boat still has more HP than the truck pulling it.

i bet the truck has more torque. the 5.4L has gobs of torque for its class, i think it even has more than the 5.0 that replaced it

mmandley
10-21-2011, 09:50 PM
i bet the truck has more torque. the 5.4L has gobs of torque for its class, i think it even has more than the 5.0 that replaced it

Idk if the 5.4 has more torque then the boat engines. Unfortunatly Idmar doesnt express what torque the engines are set up for but if have to think its more then whats in the 5.4 only because the HP is more, and Torque is much more important then HP in a boat engine.

MY2005–2006

5.4 Liter (330 cu in) SOHC 24-valve VVT Triton V8 gasoline

300 hp (223 kW)

365 (lb-ft)

moombadaze
10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/004.jpg
backup camera, dont get a new truck without it!!

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/011.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/012.jpg

jmb
10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Dang Moombadaze, ain't that nice. I would have to get a second job. Like the backup camera action

mmandley
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Sweet looking interior, see this is why moombadaze is a Super Moderator, he pulled his thread right back on track. When in doubt add more pictures of cool stuff.

viking
10-23-2011, 10:21 PM
You don't really realize how beneficial a backup camera is until you spend 3 seasons hooking up the boat (while the wife is inside watching the little kiddo's).
In and out of the truck multiple times to get it lined up. I'm pretty good but the eye on the back bumper sure would help :)

wolfeman131
10-23-2011, 10:26 PM
You don't have to spend a ton of $$ to get a camera. There is an old thread out there that I had for installing one that I use only when hooking up o the trailer.

Or, use it as an excuse as to why you need an awesome new truck like Daze!

dusty2221
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Def a good reason for a new truck!

Sent from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

rdlangston13
10-23-2011, 10:56 PM
I really like the console shifter over one on the column, NICE looking interior, i need one of them back up cameras!

wolfeman131
10-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Here is the backup camera thread

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?7514-Backup-Camera&highlight=Backup+camera

moombadaze
10-24-2011, 07:18 AM
I added a aftermarket backup camera to the old truck too--like most after manny years of, back up, hop out, see how close i am, get back in, backup some more, hop out and look again. saw a camera at the parats store and a few hrs later I was backing right up perfectly everytime. Altho it is nice to have the big screen backup camera.

dusty2221
10-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I added a aftermarket backup camera to the old truck too--like most after manny years of, back up, hop out, see how close i am, get back in, backup some more, hop out and look again. saw a camera at the parats store and a few hrs later I was backing right up perfectly everytime. Altho it is nice to have the big screen backup camera.

It always amazes me how i can have a few perfect first try back up, get out hookups, and then i can have the back up, get out, get in, move, back up and repeat it like 4 times.

kaneboats
10-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I have to roll the boat in and out of the garage by hand with the tongue lowered all the way down to just clear the door. I don't get to back the truck up to it so I roll the trailer forward to the right spot-- every time (yea, right). Still love the camera though. I get so tired of the neighborhood kids screaming as I back over them.

mmandley
10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Idk i guess one of the nice things is my truck and Trailer are the same width now. So when i back up i just line my truck up with the boat finder. Then when my back up sensors beep really fast just before being a solid tone i stop and almost always just inches and i can just musle the trailer up the rest of the way. I know when the F150 it took a few trys but then i got the antennas with balls on them to use a visual aid.

moombadaze
10-25-2011, 08:49 AM
almost always just inches and i can just musle the trailer up the rest of the way.

Mike, with the camera (factory or aftermarket add on) you can back up to it perfectly, hop out, lower the trailer onto the ball, no need to musle a double axle trailer around. Once you use a backup camera you will never not have one.

spend the little money they are now and add one, trust me its worth it

KG's Supra24
10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Mike, with the camera (factory or aftermarket add on) you can back up to it perfectly, hop out, lower the trailer onto the ball, no need to musle a double axle trailer around. Once you use a backup camera you will never not have one.

spend the little money they are now and add one, trust me its worth it

Agreed!!! I had an aftermarket one on my last SUV. Had bought a double din head unit and picked up a night vision camera for around $40. I don't have it in the new truck and its driving me nuts!!! It is way to easy with the camera.

mmandley
10-25-2011, 11:45 AM
When i upgrade the head unit to a version with a screen im sure ill add the camera. Right now its the factory style with 6disk changer. I have been wanting to buy one with a DVD/Nav system just hasvnt been the right time yet lol.

dusty2221
10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
When i upgrade the head unit to a version with a screen im sure ill add the camera. Right now its the factory style with 6disk changer. I have been wanting to buy one with a DVD/Nav system just hasvnt been the right time yet lol.

Same here. I would love to slap one in.

KG's Supra24
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Same here. I would love to slap one in.

You know where I slapped one in?

dusty2221
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
My comment was so blatantly obvious you actually loose points for trying to get a burn on me. Come on man, use some restraint for a challenging burn. A 4yo could have handled that one

KG's Supra24
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
My comment was so blatantly obvious you actually loose points for trying to get a burn on me. Come on man, use some restraint for a challenging burn. A 4yo could have handled that one

Don't talk down to me like that. I LOL'ed to myself about it. You wanna take this outside? ... Like to the lake?

Oh, cute avatar Ken.

dusty2221
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Broken Bow trip. RD said he was on his way.

04OUTBACK
10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Rd, is that r d mercer? Takin a nap before he opens up a can?

bergermaister
10-29-2011, 11:05 AM
'How bigga boy are ya?'

rdlangston13
10-30-2011, 01:45 PM
May have to work on the gal to get to go to broken bow. She didn't seem too thrilled about it.

sled - 1
10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Very Nice Stacey, I've been a fan of Dodge for a while. My buddy has on 09 that continues to impress me.

bergermaister
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
I told myself 'New truck for my 40th bday'

38 now, but always tempting to jump the gun though. I'm still torn on diesel vs. gas.

rdlangston13
10-31-2011, 02:17 PM

38 now, but always tempting to jump the gun though. I'm still torn on diesel vs. gas.

diesel = $$$$$$

bergermaister
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, maybe I should add the condition "new to me" in there.

Towing wise right now it's just the boat June-Sept, and sometimes a small utility trailer. Possibly a 30ft travel trailer again at some point in the next couple years. My commute right now is 20mi round trip and is a mix of highway and city. Not sure I'd see a big diff in mileage for the most part.

I'm liking the 2005-2007 F-250/350 crew at this point. V-10 I'd go a mild lift with 35's, Diesel I'd consider going up to 6" and 37's. I don't really need a long bed but like the looks of them more than shorties of the Super Duties for some reason. All I really NEED is to upgrade from my ext. cab to a crew cab and would like more power and payload wouldn't hurt. As my dad said, get more than you think you'll need.

mmandley
10-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Go Diesel man, its the last truck you will need to buy for a long long time. Plus Diesel trucks are the new Muscle cars. Its nothing to have a diesel with 500+ HP and 1K torque out running ever standard car on the road.

Sure a diesel is a bit more expensive up front but there build to last, everything about them it heavy duty and 200K is nothing on a diesel engine.
The oil changes do cost more then gas but you can do them at home and save a ton.
Other then that same for everything else really.
Towing the boat is where its at man, i bet better milage towing my boat then my gasser did on it own. People are always in awe when i show them how many miles i get on a tank of fuel and my MPG in a 8K+ truck.

I should come to Washington and let you drive my truck then you will have no doubt you want a Diesel.

04OUTBACK
10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone have any experience with programmers for the newer Chevy 5.3l engines?
Just curious about performance updates to my 2011 silverado. I wish I could turn off the v4 Econ setting. It's fine on hwy but is sluggish I. Slow city driving.

It tows fine and has plenty power without boat connected, just looked at some online info a few weeks ago and would love to have Ability to program for tow, Econ and perform!

mmandley
10-31-2011, 03:24 PM
@Berg bro honestly if your thinking of the V10 then buy the diesel. I mean right now you can get a low milage 08 Ford for 35K and thats not bad. But honestly wait till 12 and buy a used 10 stay away from the 08 as this was the first year for this engine and theres a reason Ford switched engines after only 2 years running the 6.4 lol.

Im not a fan of the V10 this engine was never that great, it sucks a ton of fuel and still doesnt make really serious power and trust me, you spend on repairs on this engine the same as you would the Diesel. It takes a ton of oil, ever 3K miles, 10 spark plugs, and its still crappy fuel milage. lol

@ 04Outback i had great success with my programmer on my F150 it was actualy reflashed to run in my Diesel. The thing about programmers is you need to upgrade the Intake and the exhaust for them to really do there job. No point in having better fuel combos comming from the computer when you still have a resticktive intake and exhaust. At the very least you need a K&N type filter, preferable an aftermarket free flowing intake and cat back exhaust upgrade. You need something like 3 1/2 to 4inch single pipe. I also ran 4 inch duels on my cars and trucks because i like the look and prefer Flowmaster mufflers with a expanded chrome tip or Dynomax Mufflers if you want performance with less noise.

I run a 4inch stright pipe on my truck, no cat, no muffler and it sounds amazing and as long as i keep her before 2K rpm its pretty quite LOL. But then again with a Diesel most states dont require emission. Not sure about Washington Berg. Id look into that if i was you lol.

rdlangston13
10-31-2011, 04:16 PM
@Berg bro honestly if your thinking of the V10 then buy the diesel. I mean right now you can get a low milage 08 Ford for 35K and thats not bad. But honestly wait till 12 and buy a used 10 stay away from the 08 as this was the first year for this engine and theres a reason Ford switched engines after only 2 years running the 6.4 lol.

i think the worst part about the 6.4l is that you have to remove the cab to service any major components. what a PITA. other than that I have not really heard of many issues with them from my buddy who is a Ford tech. the only ford diesel engine i hear constant complaints on is the 6.0. The 6.4 does have really crappy fuel mileage due to the particulate filter burning fuel to clean itself but the new 6.7l does not have the same emissions system and instead takes an exhaust fluid. not sure how expensive the fluid is though.

anything on a heavy duty truck is going to be more expensive, brake repairs, air filters, oil changes, tires, ball joints ect ect. the motor on a diesel may last forever but when things like high pressure oil pumps starting messing up and they cost 2k+ to repair you start to get to where you could have bought a whole new gas engine lol.

given all that, id love to have a diesel if i felt i could afford it

KG's Supra24
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
The problem with all the diesel talk above is I only hear mention of powerstrokes. :p

http://www.billet-customs.com/images/P/DURAMAX%20Bowtie.jpg

rdlangston13
10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
AKA ISUZU. the good thing about the new 6.7 power stroke is it is not longer made by international. it is designed in house by Ford engineers.

the main problem with the duramax is the truck around it. just ugly IMO. the ford has the best looking body of all the HDs with dodge trailing in 2nd

KG's Supra24
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
the main problem with the duramax is the truck around it. just ugly IMO. the ford has the best looking body of all the HDs with dodge trailing in 2nd

Man, each has their own good and bad and I guess it's up to your opinion. However, our opinions are completely different, LOL. I'm not sure i've ever heard someone say the problem with the duramax is the truck around it.

dusty2221
10-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/IMG_1475.jpg

Sent from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

KG's Supra24
10-31-2011, 06:20 PM
oh please ....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0376.jpg

bergermaister
10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Personally haven't cared for Chevy's style since about 2002. IMO GMC's were ok up until about 2007. Ford was good until 2008. Dodge - pretty good overall, just didn't like the squished quad cab.

However, just about anything tinted out and blinged up will sharp!

mmandley
10-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Everyone does have there own ideas and things on the big 3 diesels. Chevy is known only for the Allison trans, the Duramax is hit and miss on opions. Dodge by fare has the best engine but there running the weakest transmissions behind them. Ford by fare has one of the best trans rep over time and has had a long issue with some of there engines.

As for the 6.0 theres 3 problems with them.
1 EGR have it removed and no more blown heads
2 The owners who drive them. They drive them like Miss Fin Daisey and when you do that to a International engine you ruin them. They were designed and built to be ran hard. Run that puppy to Redline as much as you want, it loves it, it craves it.
I put my 6.0 up against anyone and hold my head proud even if im beat. I wouldnt trade my 6.0 for the 6.4 or the new 6.7. Sure they make power faster with less work just a tune and exhaust. But in the end all the trucks have to have the proper work to be major power houses. All of them need ARP studs in the heads if you want to push that 500 RWHP number.
3. Maintenance, you have to stay on top of the maintenance schedule, dont do it when its requires and you will have problems. Also this engine is not meant to be set and parked for weeks on end. It needs to be driven often to keep everyhting working properly.

A well maintaned, and daily driven 6.0 will last you a long long time. I have 30K on mine since i bought her 18 months ago and not a single problem and i drive her like i stole her.

I personaly run 450 RWP and apx 800lbs torque, i can smoke my tires right off the rims, truck will run high 5s to 0-60 and pulls like a mule. Put 15K behind her and she still pulls off the stop light like a normal person with nothing behind her.

Im not saying Chevy and Dodge cant, im just saying anyone who talks smack about a 6.0 just doesnt know them.

wolfeman131
10-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Dusty,

You'd better be careful of Chuck Norris. He's going to be pissed when he finds that you put his Walker Texas Ranger badges on your wheels.

dusty2221
10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Luckily, he loves Texas. You know, there's a little saying us Texans have.... It starts with an "F"

Sent from Chuck Norris' house using a roundhouse kick to the keyboard

wolfeman131
10-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Is it:

Falalalala-la-la-la-la?

rdlangston13
10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
The biggest problem I have with Chevy is their duallys come with tiny itty bitty rims and tires, just looks weird to see a 3500 with rims and tires that look like they came off my old ranger. And the factory exhaust tip looks like Elmore Fuds shot gun barrel.

In 2008 the fords got a serious interior upgrade, look so much better inside and out than previous models. Main issue I have with them is they need more springs in the rear, they sag bad under moderate loads.

And it's funny you talk about driving the 6.0 hard. All I have heard is that the 6.0 was never designed to withstand 325 hp. Ford wanted a new motor to keep up with Chevy and dodge so they picked up the 6.0 from international that was being used primarily in oilfield applications, and then hopped it up to make better numbers for their trucks against the advice of international

rdlangston13
10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
That's just what I heard. Could be completely wrong

mmandley
11-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Dave that's true on the 6 for there history but they are capable of making serious power but the weak point is the EGR due to its ability to over heat rupture and dump coolant into the engine.

The international engine was chosen because of its ruggedness. In the oil fields they are used at an engine to run the water system and they ran at WOT for months on end with no issue. Yet the engine had no emmisions system and it was only in the low 200 HP range.

Ford had to increase the HP because once they added the emissions and drive train the engine only had 140hp to the ground.

The draw back is if you keep it stock and dont run it hard ( this is done to keep the turbo vains from seizing due to soot from the exhaust ) then the turbo stops working and has to be cleaned.

In 04 when the 6 came out it had really weak head studs, when people would hope the truck up the heads would lift blowing them or people didn't do regular oil changes thinking 4gals of oil will last 7500 or 10k like in other diesels but it doesnt. This caused the oil cooler to start clogging from soot in the oil and runs the coolant temp up and blowing the EGR.

Another thing that happens is Ford uses a high pressure oil pump to fire the injectors and onc the oil passes 5k miles I tends to get sheeted down from 40wt to 30wt effective lessinging oil pressure and causing pre mature wear.

The common thing on a 6.0 is delete the EGR open the exhaust and replac the head bolts with Studs. Do this and the power is unlimited as long as you get fuel and air in the engine.

As for major maintenance the. Only time you really need to remove the cab is to replace the head studs or remove the engine. Even doing the head studs can be done if you dent the firewall by the drivers head behind the insulation but no reputable shop would dare do this.

There's your down and dirty on the 6.0 lol I can go on and on because before I bought a 6.0 I researched it extensively. It's really an awesome engine it just needs the weak spots fixed, same as Dodge and Chevy.

Best part is its the last engine to not require a DPF system with out a computer reflash.

KG's Supra24
11-01-2011, 10:05 AM
In summary, have a fund set aside to fix the common 6.0 issues if you go that route. A few thousands, as head studs are not cheap. I almost pulled the trigger on a 6.0 when I was looking but ended up backing out. It is def a great truck once those issues are resolved.

Actually as far as the small fund goes when buying a diesel ... Any of the 3 are a day and night difference once tuned. They are tuned way down from the factory and a couple mods from the get-go will vastly improve performance as well as improve mileage.

mmandley
11-01-2011, 02:20 PM
In summary, have a fund set aside to fix the common 6.0 issues if you go that route. A few thousands, as head studs are not cheap. I almost pulled the trigger on a 6.0 when I was looking but ended up backing out. It is def a great truck once those issues are resolved.

Actually as far as the small fund goes when buying a diesel ... Any of the 3 are a day and night difference once tuned. They are tuned way down from the factory and a couple mods from the get-go will vastly improve performance as well as improve mileage.

Exactly correct sir. The nice thing about the 6.0 right now is it runs about 5K cheaper then a Dodge or Chevy of simular years and equipmment so you have the money right there to get the studs, EGR, done right when you buy it if you got cash on hand. Some Ford dealers will even work the repiars into the price of the truck buy giving you more for your trade in and jacking the price of the truck up on the sale.

I have the upmost repsect for Dodge and Chevy diesels i really do, id own both if i had no choice but if i could pic exactly what i wanted then it would be a Ford truck with a Cummins and Allison trans. LOL

bergermaister
11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Ok Mike - I have the solution. How about you sell me Black Betty since she's all set up sweet the way I would want and ready to run and you can get to work building your Fo-Dog-olet back in the secret labs of Intel?

Cmon man - make you a helluva a deal!

mmandley
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Ok Mike - I have the solution. How about you sell me Black Betty since she's all set up sweet the way I would want and ready to run and you can get to work building your Fo-Dog-olet back in the secret labs of Intel?

Cmon man - make you a helluva a deal!

HAHA if i deside to sell her you will be the 3rd to know, right behind myself and Claudia lol. I almost sold her a couple months ago for the 08 Model but after researching it all i found was tons of people saying stay away from 08 and 09 trucks. The 6.4 was not a good engine hince why Ford only ran it 2 years. Now the 2011 id love to have but honeslty the new DPF system on the exhaust and the second chemical you have to run in it when you fill her up is annoying to me. I have read a lot that you can remove that whole system and exhaust and straight pipe it like mine and get great milage and power though.

Coolest thing about the 2011 Diesel is stand next to it while its running and you can barley hear it running, its amazing how quite it really is at idle. But then im a puest in the fact i love the sound of my diesel except when its real cold like this morning and it all clanky sounding.

moombadaze
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
a Ford truck with a Cummins and Allison trans. LOL

Heard that from others too

bergermaister
11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Damn it, not supposed to be doing this for 2 more years and what do I find myself stumbling across this morning...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2680938435.html

Miles are a little higher than I'd like to start with but has the right setup I'd want. Don't mind the gray either.

Level it out, stuff some 35's under it and tint - has the potential. Wait a minute, why am I even looking? It's all your fault Daze!

moombadaze
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
and just how is that my fault???? OPM-love to spend it

good looking truck tho and set for towing--air bags

mmandley
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Is a good looking truck, alsmot the same options as mine, cept i got the upgraded chrome package, mainly just the grill and mirrors, also i got captain chairs in the front.

Berg honestly if you are looking at Fords like that let me know before you pull the trigger, ill come up and we can hook my computer up and read what the engine is doing ona test drive, this will tell you all the stuff the dealer wont tell you about the truck.

The milage is a bit higher on that rig but tis only 20K a year average and with air bags it means he was towing and theres a couple things you really want to inspect before buying but it also means he was towing and theres a good chance he fixed the weak spots and its a 300K + engine now.

bergermaister
11-09-2011, 02:31 PM
This one might work... It would be crowded and need little more lift though.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2683874382.html

KG's Supra24
11-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I can't decide if thats cool or dumb ... im leaning towards cool

viking
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
This one might work... It would be crowded and need little more lift though.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2683874382.html

There you go. Go buy a pontoon for $2500 and trade him :)