PDA

View Full Version : another sad day..

sandm
10-16-2011, 10:08 AM
season has officially ended for me :(
boat got winterized, washed, waxed and a good detail of the inside and put away for the year. had a crappy season.. 23 hrs on the boat this year. between a late summer and moving/yardwork, didn't have a chance to use it much. goal next year will be to make up for this year....

Thanks to skiers for another season of trouble-free operation. boat started every time and ran like a champ..

sleep tight and see ya next spring.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/sandm01/SDC11222.jpg

04OUTBACK
10-16-2011, 10:21 AM
never a fun day.. Here in NY.. most of the retired move south about this time of year.. Sure wish I could figured that gig out..
I need a company 2 corp offices... one in FL...
Love the Orange..

rdlangston13
10-16-2011, 08:16 PM
had a crappy season.. 23 hrs on the boat this year.

lets see, i changed my oil during summerization, changed it again two months ago. i change it every 100 hours and I have put about 25 hours on it since i changed it a couple months ago....so that is like 125 hours this season? and when i get home in a couple weeks we still have some riding to do
:-)

DOCDRS
10-16-2011, 08:41 PM
lets see, i changed my oil during summerization, changed it again two months ago. i change it every 100 hours and I have put about 25 hours on it since i changed it a couple months ago....so that is like 125 hours this season? and when i get home in a couple weeks we still have some riding to do
:-)

thanks for rubbin it in....your pi$$$$ me off ........ So why do you change it for summerization, is it not fresh oil from winterization?

rdlangston13
10-16-2011, 09:31 PM
thanks for rubbin it in....your pi$$$$ me off ........ So why do you change it for summerization, is it not fresh oil from winterization?

i just left it in there during the winter. it wasnt that old. i dont change it when i winterize this year either in case any water condenses in it, ill changer it in the spring and have fresh amzoil 15-40 full syn!

brain_rinse
10-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Oil holy war incoming!

moombadaze
10-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Man I cant imagine haveing to not use mine for that long.

My oil war contribution, change your oil at the end of the season-not the begining of it. You dont want that old stuff sitting in there that long.

sandm
10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
there's a reason the dealers change the oil as part of the winterization process here :)

bergermaister
10-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Newty and I winterized the old MobiusV yesterday as well - sad day, but at least the sun was shining! Got to talking about the oil change timeframe. Fall/Winter is typically slower for business than spring when everybody's pulling them out and fixing/upgrading getting ready for the season, etc. Starting to wonder if that plays into the "Change it for winterizing" list of reasons to help the dealers with a little more business during their slower season?

However, if I recall I read on the Indmar site that they suggest changing the oil before winter storage and so I went with that as my final vote.

Oh yeah, SandM - clocked 62 hours this summer. That is a new record for me!

KSmith
10-17-2011, 01:14 PM
From what I have always been told was to change the oil out at the end of the season, some of the reasons being the oil at the end of the season has been used and is breaking down and if left sitting over the winter is forming acids and sludge which seem to be bad... so if you put nice new oil in there for the winter storage it reduces the chances of sludge and acid issues... maybe it's all hokum but it makes sense to me

DOCDRS
10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
You guys are right .... Repeated heating and cooling of oil causes condensation and the formation of acids in the oil. You don't want the acids sitting on your bearings, cranks etc over the layup causing pitting an corrosion so change it and run to get a fresh coating on all those internal parts. It only takes 25 minutes

sandm
10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
I haven't ever timed my oil changes using a clock.
it's a 2 beer job :)

kaneboats
10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I can easily stretch it to a 3-4 beer job.

DOCDRS
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
I had to drive home right after....so ya know...safety first....otherwise I'm pretty good at making anything a day long activity

rdlangston13
10-17-2011, 06:12 PM
is the acid forming an issue with synthetic oils as well?

KSmith
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Yup. Most of the acids are resulatant from combustion. Most synth oils have additives to resist acid build up, so it may be slightly less of an issue depending on local conditions & usage but acids still form as do other contaminants that form sludge when it settles out of the matrix... worst case a couple hours and say 25 bucks and you too can have peace of mind that acids are not eating your engine and sludge building up like plaque in your arteries...

rdlangston13
10-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Yup. Most of the acids are resulatant from combustion. Most synth oils have additives to resist acid build up, so it may be slightly less of an issue depending on local conditions & usage but acids still form as do other contaminants that form sludge when it settles out of the matrix... worst case a couple hours and say 25 bucks and you too can have peace of mind that acids are not eating your engine and sludge building up like plaque in your arteries...

25 bucks? oil changes run me like 80

sandm
10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
$68 for 5 qts of valvoline full synth and a fram mid-grade oil filter.
mobile1 would have been $80, but they don't have 20/50 at my oreillys.

KSmith
10-18-2011, 11:44 AM
You know Full Synth isn't really fully syntheic right?

mmandley
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
You guys and your oil prices are killing me. I pay 25 bucks for 5 QTs of Syn. Doesnt matter what brand. I buy 4 Gallons of it for the truck for 80 to 90 bucks and 18 for the diesel filter.

newty
10-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I haven't ever timed my oil changes using a clock.
it's a 2 beer job :)

That is a clock... kinda.

04OUTBACK
10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Newty,
that clock works great with the wife..."When ya comin home?" oh, in about 3 beers....

sandm
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/29500/Beer-Clock-29796.jpg