PDA

View Full Version : Injector fuse blowing

rsinger
10-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Started winterizing the boat. Wanted to start it and no go. I had this issue earlier this summer and thought I fixed it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16216-Boat-full-of-gas-kids-ready-won-t-start&p=153832#post153832

Apparently not, and the fuse is always blowing now. Turns out as soon as I turn the key to the run position the fuse blows.

Anyone got a line on some schematics, and a place I could find a 12V 15 amp breaker instead of a fuse (temporarily)? Don't know if I'll have time to dig in deeper this year, as it's starting to get cold.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Engine Nut
10-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Here is a link that will take you to a diagram that I believe will apply to your engine.

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Information/Electrical%20&%20EFI%20Related/Wiring%20Diagrams/MEFI%204%20Series%20Diagrams/MEFI%204%20-%205.7.pdf

rsinger
10-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Here is a link that will take you to a diagram that I believe will apply to your engine.

Close but no cigar. It's a start. If the color coding on the diagram matches what I have I can make due with this. Big difference is I've only got 1 fuse for the injectors. Throttle body injection. But on further inspection I think it's the fuel pump fuse that's blowing, which seemed to be the problem this summer, which I think I caused by working in the dash board area.

According to the schematic you supplied, the wires are only for the pump and don't involve anything under the dash. If the schematic is the same as my boat wiring it looks like I might have a short in either fuel pump, relay, or wiring. Just need to track down a 12V 15A breaker to test with. Should be easy to figure out.

Thanks for the help.

I guess winterizing my boat might take longer than 2 or 3 hours.

rsinger
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
There is something else, wired in parallel with the fuel pump. It's not on the schematic that Engine Nut provided. It sits "downstream" from the pump and has a filter attached to it. Anyone know what it is?

rsinger
10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Found the culprit. It's the fuel pump itself. Fuse blows as soon as I connect the leads. After pulling the pump, I measured from each lead to the case. I've got a short from both leads to the case.

Hopefully I can find a pump locally tomorrow. It's going to start hitting the freezing point here in the next week or so.

Thanks Engine Nut, the schematic made troubleshooting pretty easy.

Engine Nut
10-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Your engine actually has two fuel pumps. That part with the filter under it is the high pressure pump and the other one is a high volume low pressure pump that draws fuel from the tank and feeds the high pressure pump.

rsinger
10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Your engine actually has two fuel pumps. That part with the filter under it is the high pressure pump and the other one is a high volume low pressure pump that draws fuel from the tank and feeds the high pressure pump.

Great, now to decide weather to replace the hi pressure pump (even if it's good) while I've got everything apart already. I'm already doing the fuel filter anyway. Just hate to have to open the fuel line later if the other pump fails. I think I'll leave it for now. Doesn't everyone just love paranoia?

Any comments to the contrary?

rsinger
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Fixed. For those interested here is what I found. Bad pump is top row of pictures. Last 2 pictures in each row are, 1 lead on terminal and 1 lead on case.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/rsingerwpg/fuel%20pump/pumps.jpg