PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the factory about 2012 Outback

skiyaker
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Well I can't shake this slalom bug so I'm contemplating trading the outback V for an outback DD- either that or I have to add a second boat to the family. I would like if I could get one with the new tower that's easier to fold down as I store my boat in my garage so I have fold my tower every time I use my boat. So can anyone from the factory answer these 2 questions?

1) with the tower folded down will the boat clear a 7 foot door?
2) can you comment at what rope length the tower will interfere with the slalom rope?

Also- can any of you outback owners snap a pic of the rear trunk for me? I'm trying to figure out how storage might work and I can't really gauge the size of that compartment.

LakePerson1952
10-13-2011, 10:29 AM
My 2010 Outback would easily clear a 7' door with the tower down - it barely clears 10' with the tower up and light folded down.

I'm curious about why the tower would ever interfere with a slalom rope at any length. On my boat, you would need to swing out so far that you were in front of the ski pylon before you could touch the tower with the rope and even then I'm not sure I'd call it "interfering" - of course, the driver might be a bit irritated that the rope is hitting him on the back of his neck - LOL

I will try to remember to take a pic of my trunk but in mine I routinely keep:
> a 69" slalom,
> a combo ski set,
> a small folding anchor w/ 50' line,
> additional 100' anchor and misc dock lines,
> 75' HD Tube rope and 3 ski ropes,
> 2 rolled beach mats,
> some misc cleaning supplies

I could probably get another slalom in there if I wanted. I have not tried to put a wakeboard in it so I don't know if it would fit. There is also ski storage along the sides.

KSmith
10-13-2011, 10:42 AM
skiyaker seems to be concerned with the 2012 Outback and the new tower, which you can see in the 2012 preview section from the main page. The tower is mounted quite far back behind the windshield and a good amount behind the ski pylon, hence the concern about it interfering with the rope I suspect

KSmith
10-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Here is the 2012 Outabck with new tower

deerfield
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
skiyaker - I will take a picture and post this weekend, unless someone beats me to the punch. In the meantime, my trunk (gullwing storage area) typically has in it: six life jackets, three pair ski gloves, two tow ropes for tubes, one slalom line w/ handle, one wakeboard line w/ handle, and one pair neoprene crash pants. Still has space for a few more things. I keep skis and boards up and out of the way in racks mounted to the tower. Personal stuff like towels and bags is stored behind the observer's seat on the port side, same place I also store the barefoot boom when not in use. Dock bumpers and lines are stored up front under the bow seats. Outback is a great boat. - Deerfield

skiyaker
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM

yup that's the one I'm talking about- part of this deal is "you know honey, if we get one with the new tower it would be a lot easier to fold down" but this only holds true if it actually fits in my garage- I've heard of some malibu owners having to remove the rear "hoop" to make this happen. I don't currently ski at a length where that tower would interfere with the rope but my closest ski buddy skis at 28 off and might get into 32 off next year

my wife said the magic words "you're the one who does all the boat work so I trust you if you want to get a different one"

thanks everybody for the rear trunk inventory- it sounds like you can fit enough back there- that's probably what I keep in my rear v drive compartments plus a few pool noodles

pmoomba
10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Hah you and me both. I did get a quick set behind an Outback that a guy was selling last weekend. Conditions weren't all that great though. He was more a wakeboarder and had the ballast filled at the start of the day. He emptied it before taking me out for a test but there was still a good bit of water left in the bag, plus some other excess weight (double batteries, bunch of tower speakers & a light bar, and some other things). The water in general was kind of bad too, a little choppy to begin with and then a good amount of chop from other boats. I did a quick pull at 33mph at 15 off, and 28 off just to compare to the OBV. That said even with the extra weight and conditions that didn't really let me try to ski like I wanted to, the 15 off wake was noticably better (though I'm not sure if I'd say it was drastic or not). 28 off was way better as expected, on mine at least there is a pretty big and almost rock hard bump that I gave up on after crossing a couple times. On the outback it was much better and I'm sure if I were a better skier it'd be almost trival. Despite the bad conditions I think it was a decent enough jump that I'd make the change if I can find the right boat or work something out on a new one. Having some issues with my local dealer though.

On the rope, I posted in the other thread that it looks like (from pics & video I found) that it could interefere at 22 off. That's not an official; I'd also like to know if they did any testing for an offical word. For comparison though, look at this pic of the outback compared to a response lxi with the illusion, and how much further forward the tower is mounted on the rxli. I wonder if you were custom ordering, you could request it being moved closer to the windshield? Or order without a tower and put one on yourself.

I got the same message from the wife too so I'm gonna try to take advantage, just not sure if I'll end up in an outback or not depending on what I can find/work out.

pmoomba
10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Not entirely sure, but I think what might be going on is the original illusion folds backwards based on the hinge in that pic, the newer G3 folds forwards. I think the Oz folds forwards too so it might not be feasible to move closer to the windshield.

Actually, that might be the pin and not the hinge so maybe nevermind.

maxpower220
10-13-2011, 08:27 PM

WTF? I'm not a very good skier, but I would be hitting that tower on nearly every pass. The only reason I know, is that a book I read said to place tape on the gunale where the rope goes on a pass on the course. That way, your observer can give you feedback on your passes when you are not skiing on a course.

Not sure who thought that was a good placement for a tower on a DD boat.

Mikey
10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I have to agree,that tower looks to be mounted too far back and looks like it would definetely interfere.Good skier or not ,that just does not look right????

LakePerson1952
10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
skiyaker seems to be concerned with the 2012 Outback and the new tower, which you can see in the 2012 preview section from the main page. The tower is mounted quite far back behind the windshield and a good amount behind the ski pylon, hence the concern about it interfering with the rope I suspect

WOW! That is a gorgeous boat - with or without the tower. I'm almost sorry I just got my new 2010. Not really. I love my boat and got a sweet deal. BUT! I do understand his concern about the rope now. When pleasure skiing, I do go way out almost perpendicular to the boat sometimes and I would definitely hit the tower when doing that. I'm not sure that tower would have the same visual appeal if it were farther forward but it does seem strange that they'd put it so far back - a lot of people don't really have courses readily available and could easily want to go way out frequently. On a course it does seem it would limit the "off" distance. It would be easy enough to determine the length where you'd have issues if we had a top view similar to the pics in the owners manual.

FamilyMatters
10-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Here's my favorite picture of my boat and it shows where the rope hits just free skiing on a 75' rope. It looks like it would hit where the new tower sits (If it were tight!)12512 I'm just a free Skiier

Peace
Darren

Hoopskier
10-13-2011, 11:38 PM
1) I would think the new tower would clear a 7' door. The older Rad-a-cage tower clears my door with no issues. I would think the newer forward fold tower would clear easier, the rear tower legs stick upward on the older tower.

2) I thought I read that you would order the boat without a tower. Or you could order the boat with the older Rad-a-cage tower.

wolfeman131
10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I was able to confirm with SC that the prior year rad-a-cage will still be available for the 2012 boats. My 2008 OBV (same hull) can get under a 7ft door with the tower folded, no problem. But, since the tower folds forward I have to angle it across the 2 car garage so I can close the door.

If I remember correctly from last year's boat show, you can't get one without a tower. But, I could be wrong about that or they may have changed that for 2012.

skiyaker
10-14-2011, 05:48 PM
thanks for the thoughts fellas- looks like I'll have to get one with the rad-a-cage tower which is what I have on my current boat; I just was hoping for a tower that's a little easier to fold up and down- I can get my current tower up by myself when I need to but it's challenging- but looking at those pics I just don't see how the newer tower would fit my needs.

There's a new "little yaker" on the way due in april, so I don't see many 12 hour days on the lake for the next few years- instead I see many days at the ski club so it'd be pulling skiers of different abilities- anywhere from 15 off to 35 off.

maxpower220
10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I would consider ordering a boat without a tower and then buy a tower that you like, fits your needs, and mount it where you want.

It is sad that you would have to do that.

skiyaker
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
well it's all too bad- because if the new tower would work for what I want then this could have been my next boat-
http://www.omahamarinecenter.com/Page.aspx/diid/6190691/list/InventoryList/pageId/25914/view/Details/2012-Moomba-OutBack.aspx

I was hoping the factory would chime in and say that they've tested the boat at different line lengths and give me the scoop.
but after looking at pics I agree with the crowd-I don't see how the new tower is compatible with my hope of pulling skiers of all abilities.
looks like it's either going to be towerless or rad-a-cage

FamilyMatters
10-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I've got a 2009 with a 130 hours I was trying to sell to buy and OutbackV, or LS. I'm the only one in the family that slaloms, everyone else wakeboards, surfs, and tubes!

Peace
Darren

viking
10-22-2011, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=FamilyMatters;159440 I'm the only one in the family that slaloms, everyone else wakeboards, surfs, and tubes!

Peace
Darren[/QUOTE]

Me too! I've got my wife skiing and will teach my kiddo's as well. But doubt that they'll get really good at slalom. Probably end up with a v-drive in a year or 2?