PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out exhaust after winterization

T100
10-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Oil coming out exhaust after winterization, is this from the fogging? Is this normal??

DOCDRS
10-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Why did you run your engine after fogging was done? How did you fog?

mmandley
10-12-2011, 07:01 AM
If you fog the engine then start it, yes you could see oily substance in your exhaust due to the fogging being burned threw the exhaust. If its a lot of oil or actual engine oil then thats bad. I would pull the plug on the muffler and see what drains out.

T100
10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
The reason I'm asking is I received it back from getting it winterized at my local mechanic and noticed the oil coming out of both exhausts when I got it home. I'm a bit freaked out but before I ask him I wanted to get a little info from you guys.

KSmith
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Question: Is there some oil like substance coming out of the exhaust outlets from the boat, maybe dripping onto the concrete, while it is just sitting there or are you running the engine and have oil spewing out the exhaust?

Second Question: If you are running the engine then why are you running the engine after it was winterized?

I would call the mechanic and discuss with him.

T100
10-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Not running the engine, oil just coming out after transporting it back home. Not dripping out a lot just a little on to the wake plate. I'm putting it away for the winter.

DOCDRS
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Is it straight oil? or oily water? really not sure why there would be oil. If the muffler was drained then any fogging oil should be in the muffler unless he used 2 quarts of fogging oil. I would ask for a complete run down of his winterization procedure..... You paid for it

maxpower220
10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
While this may or may not be what was done to your boat. Fogging oil is typically sprayed into a running engine until the engine starts producing a large amount of smoke from the exhaust. Most people will continue to spray oil for 15-20 seconds after the smoke appears. Then, a second can of oil is sprayed into the engine to "choke" it until it stops running. If this is the way your boat was fogged, then you will have some oily residue on your exhaust.

It would be best to ask your mechanic what he did and how he did it. Then explain to him that you have oily exhaust. It is probably nothing to worry about, if he fogged the engine. If not, then you may have an issue.

squeeg333
10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I would think that it is probably fogging oil, but, I'm not as in the know as others on this forum.

When I winterize, I only spray into the throttle body for about 10 or 15 seconds, and then kill the engine. Then, I will pull each plug and spray for a few seconds, and then bump the engine over to make sure everything gets coated. I haven't ever hit the engine with enough to choke it - though I've been real close. What's the best procedure for fogging??

T100
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
While this may or may not be what was done to your boat. Fogging oil is typically sprayed into a running engine until the engine starts producing a large amount of smoke from the exhaust. Most people will continue to spray oil for 15-20 seconds after the smoke appears. Then, a second can of oil is sprayed into the engine to "choke" it until it stops running. If this is the way your boat was fogged, then you will have some oily residue on your exhaust.

It would be best to ask your mechanic what he did and how he did it. Then explain to him that you have oily exhaust. It is probably nothing to worry about, if he fogged the engine. If not, then you may have an issue.

After speaking to the mechanic he fogs the engine till it chokes out and the oil is from the fogging, he did say there was a little more than usual. I was concerned because last year there was no oil just anti-freeze.
Thanks for all your responses, just wanted some input before I spoke to the mechanic.

DOCDRS
10-13-2011, 05:31 PM
You have to get enough unburnt oil into the cylinder to coat it. Therefore you need to choke the engine. Smoke isn't as effective a protectant as oil in my opinion. Therefore the best way is to spray directly thru the spark plug hole, then turn the engine over with the throttle in the flooded engine position so no fuel is injected into the intake manifold. jmo

LakePerson1952
10-14-2011, 08:23 AM
You have to get enough unburnt oil into the cylinder to coat it. Therefore you need to choke the engine. Smoke isn't as effective a protectant as oil in my opinion. Therefore the best way is to spray directly thru the spark plug hole, then turn the engine over with the throttle in the flooded engine position so no fuel is injected into the intake manifold. jmo

What is the "flooded engine position"?

DOCDRS
10-14-2011, 08:26 PM
What is the "flooded engine position"?

Ahhhh Grasshopper, you no wead mwoomba manwal fwom cova to cova.......

press the tranny lockout button (center of throttle lever) and push the throttle fully forward. This will cut fuel to the carb and the injectors thus allowing you to clear a flooded engine or not introduce any fuel into the the cylinders during the spark plug cylinder fogging roll over.