PDA

View Full Version : Steering Failure

03-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Had a big scare after loss of steering in my 1997 Outback with 600 hrs. The Teleflex clamp box located at the aft end of the steering cable became worn out and popped off the metal ball. Suggest removing the 4 bolts on the clamp box that is about the size of a deck of cards and inspect for wear. A new one is easy to replace and about $70 at www.skidim.com

JayG80
08-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Where is this post? The clamp box failed on by Outback because the ball rubbed out the center of the clamp box.

Catdog1
08-25-2003, 07:19 PM
We all need to know more about this steering failure... first time noted on the board that I recall.

What is the clampbox and what ball are you talking about? Is it the box under the dash? Is the ball on the end of the cable? Is this something weird or do you think it can happen to the rest of us?

JayG80
08-25-2003, 08:57 PM
The clamp box is under the deck at the stern of the boat aft of the packing nut. It is a black steel box with 4 thru bolts that secure it to the steering cable. A steel ball is bolted to a aluminum plate and the box rotates about the box as the steering wheel is turned. The inside of the box and the outside of the ball rubbed down or ground away so the box could pop off the ball - resulting in no steering at all.

Catdog1
08-26-2003, 02:17 AM
Thanks very much. It really helps to hear about what each of us face on these boats as they age a bit.

I'll remove the floor and take a hard look at the clamp box later this week. Am assuming for now that your '97 and my '99 have same set-up. If so, mine is bound to fail sooner or later. More to follow.