PDA

View Full Version : Trans Questions

deerfield
10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
So, I have an '07 Outback w/ stock 325 EFI coupled to a ZF Hurth Marine transmission.

For the life of me I can't locate a plug from which to drain cooling water from the transmission. Also, can't find the filter or screen for the trans fluid.

I have the Moomba owner, Indmar operator, and Hurth operating manuals. Pictures and explanations aren't helping any.

Changing the trans fluid is a breeze. And in the past have never drained water from the cooling lines running between the engine and trans. But, figure presence of water during a Midwest winter is a bad idea.

How do I drain the water and check the screen/filter on my trans?

Thanks.

Hoopskier
10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I can't help you with the screen, I've read other posts that say it is on the bottom of the transmission and can be difficult to remove, re-install, and make sure it does not leak. There is no water inside the tranmission. The cooling lines that you see on the trans, are transmission oil. Oil is pumped out of the trans, via the internal pump, to the cooler (either just before or after the raw water pump) and back to the transmission.

newty
10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I can't help you with the screen, I've read other posts that say it is on the bottom of the transmission and can be difficult to remove, re-install, and make sure it does not leak. There is no water inside the tranmission. The cooling lines that you see on the trans, are transmission oil. Oil is pumped out of the trans, via the internal pump, to the cooler (either just before or after the raw water pump) and back to the transmission.

What he said.
I did pull my screen this last spring and it was not fun to get to. Its a small rectangular plate (approx 1" x 3") with two 7/16" ish size bolts. I had to lay in my locker head towards the front to reach it. I later found it easier to reach around the V-drive and under the trans. Its not easy by any means either way. The filter is just a 1/2" cylindical mesh screen about 1" long that the plate holds in. Its right in the center on the bottom of the trans.

cab13367
10-10-2011, 08:55 PM
What he said.
I did pull my screen this last spring and it was not fun to get to. Its a small rectangular plate (approx 1" x 3") with two 7/16" ish size bolts. I had to lay in my locker head towards the front to reach it. I later found it easier to reach around the V-drive and under the trans. Its not easy by any means either way. The filter is just a 1/2" cylindical mesh screen about 1" long that the plate holds in. Its right in the center on the bottom of the trans.

So was there anything in the screen? I have never removed mine.

DOCDRS
10-11-2011, 12:07 AM
So, I have an '07 Outback w/ stock 325 EFI coupled to a ZF Hurth Marine transmission.

For the life of me I can't locate a plug from which to drain cooling water from the transmission. Also, can't find the filter or screen for the trans fluid.

I have the Moomba owner, Indmar operator, and Hurth operating manuals. Pictures and explanations aren't helping any.

Changing the trans fluid is a breeze. And in the past have never drained water from the cooling lines running between the engine and trans. But, figure presence of water during a Midwest winter is a bad idea.

How do I drain the water and check the screen/filter on my trans?

Thanks.

Its actually easier to do in an outback as the v drive isn't in the way. just feel under the trans for the 2 bolts that are about 2 inches apart. There is a picture of the cover and screen in this thread.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10977-Transmission-and-Vdrive-Service

viking
10-13-2011, 11:38 PM
I've changed my fluid out in the past as well since it's so easy. Never have removed the screen after several hours reading post after post on the issue.
Didn't seem like it was an annual ritual for most. Has anyone ever really found much in the way of debree or obstructions when it has been done?
Is the PITA worth it?

DOCDRS
10-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Its a 20 hour procedure , then I'd say every 500 hours would be good. In my case there was very little debris and easily could have waited to 100 hours before doing it. However its not that difficult a procedure and I would definitely do it be for my warranty ran out to make sure there were not metal shavings or such.

deerfield
10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Okay. Screen was cleaned and trans fluid changed by dealer at 20-hour mark. Engine currently has 175 hours. Now that my precious is past warranty period and I do my own maintenance, I'll change the trans fluid (easy to do) and leave the screen go for another couple hundred hours. Thanks, guys.

jmb
10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
I've got 634 hours on mine and I just change the fluid. I was told not to worry about the screen. Now don't get me worried. I am adamant about changing the fluid. Every year I do it. I just drain the engine and manifolds and the ballast screen.

DOCDRS
10-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I've got 634 hours on mine and I just change the fluid. I was told not to worry about the screen. Now don't get me worried. I am adamant about changing the fluid. Every year I do it. I just drain the engine and manifolds and the ballast screen.

No need to get worried, but surely you have tightened your jam packing nut, or maybe changed your gland packing, which involved removing the clam shell and the rear floor cover. It takes nothing to undo 2 bolts and clean the screen. I guess I ask myself....why wouldn't you check it? Personally changing the tranny fluid every 50 - 100 hours or yearly I think is way overkill. I believe most of these intervals are there as for the most part owners don't even know where the dipstick or tranny stick is to check the fluid level let alone know to do it as a pre start inspection or at least every 10,20 or even 50 hours....... If it wasn't important then why would zf hurth say to do it? Does Indmar recommend you to change your oil filter every 50 hours. What kind of education did the person have that said "I wouldn't worry about it" (cause I'll just charge you 2000 to replace your tranny when it fails, and grade 8 were the best 3 years of my life). just havin fun......
but think of it like the filter in your cars tranny, wouldn't you change or clean it if you could after 6 years of wear and tear? common sense

jmb
10-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Well, I really didn't know. My dealer that sold me the boat told me not to worry about it. I do all that other stuff you mentioned. He said that the screen didn't need to be checked anymore. hmmmm