PDA

View Full Version : Can't get oil drain nut off

Young24
10-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I changed my oil, but in the process I stripped the crap out of the connector on the end of the drain hose. The nut would not come off and I had to use channel lock pliers because it just spun. I added a little to much oil and need to drain a little out, but now I can't get the nut off. Not sure I want to strip it more but I need to get some oil out.

Help

Razzman
10-09-2011, 02:30 PM
You have two choices as I see it. 1) replace the drain hose assembly or 2) Buy yourself an oil extractor (http://www.pelaproducts.com/) and remove the excess oil through the dipstick and use it for all future oil changes.

deerfield
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree with Razz. Get an oil extractor to get the oil down to the right level and for future oil changes. With respect to the damaged brass fitting, maybe cut the end of the hose and replace with a new brass fitting and cap from auto parts or home supply center?124721247312474

Young24
10-09-2011, 06:08 PM
That's what I thought I would need to do. I'll start with the extractor, but I would still like to replace the brass cap if possible. I assume I need to wait unti the next oil change to cut the hose? Not quite sure if I am capable of putting a new cap on that would hold?

Thanks for the suggestions,

deerfield
10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Young - These brass hose fittings from Lowes are what I have in mind. You will need to make sure that the extractor hose will fit through the diameter of the barbed fitting. Maybe just take a drive to the home supply center with the end piece cut from the hose to se what is the best solution. - Deerfield

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/048643/048643071612lg.jpg
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/048643/048643071957xl.jpg

Young24
10-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Deerfield I like your idea. Do you think the one that goes inside the hose will hold? Is there pressure on the oil drain hose that might push that loose?

Appreciate the help,
Young

mnpracing
10-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Deerfield I like your idea. Do you think the one that goes inside the hose will hold? Is there pressure on the oil drain hose that might push that loose?

Appreciate the help,
Young

just use a stainless hose clamp on it.

mmandley
10-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Appreciate the help,
Young

There is no pressure on the drain hose at all. Even if the ingine was running and you opened it all that happens is the oil would drain. They pressure is after the oil pan pump. The extrators goes down the Dip stick tube not the oil drain tube. just but a new plug and forget about it. Buy the extractor Razzman posted, Al Cab let me borrow his last rummer and i bought it after 1 use. It works great.

It drains the trans, and then i drain my engine oil. I also use it to drain small engines oil, drain the oil from my drive axles on my 1 ton truck to service them. Its an awesome pump for 50 bucks. Already paid for its self the first time i used it.

sandm
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
I have that same pump and it is the bomb... worth the money and not having to ever fight that drain hose again.
as far as sealing up the drain line, cut the end off, put a stainless bolt in it that fits and use a stainless hose clamp. if you need to get at it again, undo the hose clamp and pull the bolt out.

good luck..

squeeg333
10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
You guys use the extractor to pull oil out the dipstick? I've been using the drain hose with the extractor. Guess there's two ways to skin a cat eh?

deerfield
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I've been using the drain hose with the extractor.

squeeg - Me, too. - Deerfield

wolfeman131
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Me three. Think I read a post from Doc stating to go that route as he, or someone he knew, had lost a part of the extractor tube in the dipstick tube and had to pay a pretty penny to get it removed.

DOCDRS
10-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Very careful using the dipstick tube , if you put the plastic tube in too far it can get snagged on the end of the dipstick tube. Then you have to remove the entire tube to get it out , or worse. Just cut the hose and put a cap in the end of it with a hose clamp. Then remove the cap to drain. As mention by mike , there is no pressure on the quick drain tube.

viking
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Pela Extractor and Drain tube here. Learned it all from the forum over the last 2 years. EAZY PEEZY :)

Young24
10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I cut the hose drained the oil and put the brass bolt in it with a cap along with a clamp. Other than 3 trips to the hardware store to get the right size, it was easy.
Thanks for your help,
Young

DOCDRS
10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I cut the hose drained the oil and put the brass bolt in it with a cap along with a clamp. Other than 3 trips to the hardware store to get the right size, it was easy.
Thanks for your help,
Young

How about a pic of your handiwork.