PDA

View Full Version : Mooring systems

NH Moomba
05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm buying a new dock this year and was thinking of buying some of those mooring whips. I know most of you are using lifts but in New England, it's just one more thing to haul in and out of the freezing water. They all seem to have 8 foot lengths that are rated for 20 feet and 2500 lbs and the next size up is 12 feet and made for 5000 lbs. My Ls is 20.5 feet and I would prefer to use the 8 foot ones since they are kind of ugly and I don't want to push the boat too far from the dock. The lake is not very rough, maybe 6 inch swells on a really windy day. I bought some of the stowaway holdaway units last year and they were a miserable failure. Anybody had any luck and what size did you use?

Andy

smokedog2
05-09-2005, 09:46 PM
If you read the fine print, none of that stuff is meant for long term storage. I have a metal frame and wood deck dock. During the day I us the stretchy dock lines but at night I tie it up. In both cases I use 3-4 good sized bumpers. Slick them up with 303 if you want. This is usually a 2-4 day gig. I do not leave the boat in long term. I use quick disconnects on the bumpers and number them to get the right bumper in the right place.

FYI I also have bumpers tied permanently to the metal frame. Five years, never had one stolen – knock on wood.

If the lake is calm like you say, the bumper bounce will not hurt a thing. If it is not, bumpers are better then breaking free IMHO.

SD2

Bagboy
05-10-2005, 12:01 AM
I tie it at 3 pts.-one at each cleat (fendered) then a stretchy from a far side cleat to a mooring ball. This holds it away from the dock unless you get a stiff breeze off the ball.

NH Moomba
05-15-2005, 11:06 AM
I didn't realize the whips are not for long term. They don't seem to mention that in any of the advdertising. I used the bumpers last year and they started to rub off the vinyl graphics on the side of the boat. I do leave the boat in all summer and yes it does get slimy on the bottom. I never had a problem with blistering on my previous I/O's and haven't had one yet on the Moomba. I think if I had to deal with taking it in and out every couple of days, I'd probably would get a pontoon boat instead! This year with the reconfigured new dock , I will be able to put the boat on the other side which will be better since the prevailing winds would pull the boat away from the dock. I like the idea of a stretchy line going to a mooring ball and will give that a try.

Andy

smokedog2
05-15-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm new to decals on a boat. I gues I will have to watch that. I may also try a third rope on teh other side to shore.

SD2

Witt
05-15-2005, 08:30 PM
To me, if you're going to keep your boat in the water all summer, the best way to keep it from banging against the dock is to get a boat lift. They make all kinds of different configurations, for boathouses or for slips at a marina and for personal use and a private dock. This alleviates any algae and keeps your boat from getting bounced around in rough water. It will definitely cost more, but to me there is no other way to go.

smokedog2
05-16-2005, 07:39 AM
If you live with ice you have to pull the lift every year. Been there done that. Back breaking event.

SD2

plumcrazy
05-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Andy,
I have been using the dock whips for about 4 years and would use nothing else. No more scratches from bumping up against the dock. I don't care how soft the edge is, it's gonna do something to the finish.
Couple of things I've learned.... I don't know what your lake is like, but our level fluctuates throughout the season. You need to keep an eye on the tension at the whips. As the level goes down, it puts more preload on the fibreglass especially near the end where the material is the thinnest. I have to adjust mine several times over the season.
The manufacturer also recommends diagonal static lines as well as the front and rear stay lines. I did not do this because I didn't want the lines rubbing on my very costly replacement cover and I also didn't want to cut the cover and sew in access to the pop-up cleats. I have had no problems with the front and rear stay lines. My guess is that if we had a lot of wakes rolling in we may have a problem, but my dock is close to a no- wake zone.
I know exactly what you mean about the boat lift. My dock is on wheels and it's still a pain in the ass come fall and spring. (still not in the water yet). I definately recommend the whips. Money well spent.

Dave

NH Moomba
05-18-2005, 08:19 PM
What size and brand do you use? Also, where do you attach them the the boat?

Andy

plumcrazy
05-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Andy, I use the 8' from Overtons. At the front I attach to the bow eye (where the trailer cable connects). I cover the line and snap swivel with an old tube sock to prevent scratches. At the rear I use the transom eye for which ever side is closest to the dock(typically the driver's side). I use another sock to prevent rubbing through the cover at the rubrail. My cover does not cover the platform, so the eyes are exposed.
I've seen some boats whipped at the pop-up cleats, but I didn't want to get into modifying the cover.
Dave

ben624
05-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey guys... I just bought some whips myself... A friend told me to put PVC pipe over them... He said he had broke one set before he was told by someone else that is will help to relive some of the stress on the whips... I don't know for sure... But I am not taking any chances.... PVC pipe was about 5 dollars... As the whips where a hell of a lot more.... Maybe someone knows more about the PVC trick.
Ben

slacker
07-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Andy,

Same here. Have used boat whips on our moombas for the past 7 years. The boat is in the lake for 2 months, out periodically for a cleaning.

We do have a 4 rope setup however (two stay lines and two diagonal lines) due to the amount of wave activity though. It is in what i believe is coined the "M" configuration.

To the previous posters point however, you're definitely going to want to protect your covers if they go under the rub rail as the ropes will wear the cover thin, and go through it in short order.

On the back, for one of the diagonal lines that are connected to the transom eye, we have used a pretty neat "bungy" rope that actually has two rubber tubes on it. They are "free moving" and have the ability to roll up and down, rather than rub, which we have noticed has saved the cover, and saved the finish on the boat. Would be very easy to pick up a rubber tube from the hardware store and line the parts of your rope that have the potential to touch the boat...

That said, whips have saved every other part of our boat from dock damage. And, it makes docking incredibly easy as well as you just have to "come close" to the dock, grab the whip ropes, and attach, rather than having to throw lines, tie it up, adjust, etc... couldn't be a bigger fan for the affordability of it.

If i had a choice, would definitely have a lift however as it is really nice on those wave days to just take the boat out of the water, and save the cleaning effort every month or so...

Slacker