PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

ben624
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I need some opinions.... I have been looking at overton’s boat covers.... They have a sharkskin cover for $250... And they have a sunbrella cover for $483.... It is made for my 99 outback.... Plus I can get it in blue to match the boat... The dealer has the original cover for $489.... So has anyone have an idea or knows someone who has any of the above mentioned covers? It doesn’t matter what kind of boat they are on.... I am wondering which would be best for the boat... I don’t want to scratch the gel coat.... So please feel free to tell me what you think? Thanks for any and all help... Working on pics of my outback.

mobiusLSV05
05-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Pay the extra dollars and have a cover made at a local shop. The best material I have found is Aqualon. It is water tight, and unlike Sunbrella, there is no maintenance down the road(treating the material). I went with the snap style of a bow, and a snap cockpit cover. They ran about 650.00 for labor and parts but its well worth it.

ben624
05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks but I don't have that option.... I wish I did.... Maybe next year... But for now I need a good cover to keep out as much rain as possible.... Since the top deck of the dock leaks.

Yellowmobius
05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I know the Sunbrella is top quality stuff

ben624
05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
So Bruce do you think that the sunbrella is better than the factory cover.... I have never seen a sunbrella cover so I don't know.... They are both about the same price.
Ben

Yellowmobius
05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Thats a tough one.

I "think" the sunbrella is better, however that is only my opinion.

Anyone else?

ben624
05-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for your opinion.... That is all have to go on... I have never seen a sunbrella cover so I don't have a clue.... Since both the sunbrella and the factort cover are close to $500..... I don't know if I should go with the one for $250... They all have the same warranty... 5 years... The cheaper one is in stock... That is why it is cheaper... The other one has to be built.... But I would like something good that doesn't hurt the gel coat.

Lanci4
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Ben524, I have an outback that I'm having a snap cover made for the bow then one for the boat that goes over the winshield. They use the Sunbrella product which I have on my other boat that is used in salt water and have had no problems with the product. I'm in florida and the covers are costing me around $500. It will be done next week I will let you know how it came out.

Lance

sailnfast
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM
For what its worth, my dealer told me not to buy a factory cover as he didn't think that for the price they held up as well to some of the aftermarket options (e.g. Sunbrella).

ben624
05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey Thanks guys.... I appreciate that everyone has put in there opinions... Now I have something to think about.... I am scared to have a snap on cover put on my boat... I have seen other boats with rust stains running down the side after a few years.... I also live on the coast in Texas... So I wake board in the salt water... And salt water will eat anything up in time.... So it looks like a sunbrella from overton's... UNLESS someone knows a cheaper place to get a fitted sunbrella cover? But guys really THANKS for all the input.