PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on decal updates

keehr22
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM

So we're making a list of our winter projects for the boat, and besides the 1st priority of replacing the motor, 2nd up is new decals. Posting a pic of our Moomba, black and off white gel coat. We'd like to update the looks some, without going too radical (wraps are a no go with the wife).

The newer style factory decals are silver and bright white, which I don't think will match well with the off white gel coat. So, I've found a place that will re-create the moomba chrome decals for approx $225, much more reasonable than the $500 I'm hearing from dealerships. But we're not completely sold on the simple chrome lettering.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or pictures of custom Moomba decals installed?

Below is the new tower with bimini I ordered several months ago, can't wait to get it put on!

bergermaister
10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Uh, could always go naked! That and that new tower would leave a lot of guys wondering how old your boat really is...

Sometimes less is more.

moombadaze
10-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Uh, could always go naked!
Sometimes less is more.

second that

keehr22
10-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Yeah I definitely think updating decals can make a boat look much newer. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the naked look, on most boats it doesn't seem 'finished' to me, maybe different once I have the tower on. I also thought of just doing vinyl "Moomba" lettering in that gold/copper color of the accent decals, rather than the 3d style chrome lettering.

Had custom decals made for our American Skier a couple years ago, turned out pretty good, definitely updated it from the old 90's style factory look!

chawk610
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
What's up with the motor??? Blown up?

keehr22
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Yep, blown head, and cracked manifold, motor seized. Happened during first hour of use after buying; existing condition from previous seller, or crazy coincidence.

pmoomba
10-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Where did you find to re-create the chrome decals?

keehr22
10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I had TUFF Labels come up with a quote to re-create the chrome lettering. They are in the process of sending me a sample, to see the final product prior to ordering. So far they've been very outgoing and professional, and I haven't spent a dime yet. The quote was approx. $225, that's for both sides. Working on getting an additional quote for transom decal.

When the sample gets in I'll see about putting a picture up on here, at nearly half the price of ordering from the dealership I think there may be some interest.

wolfeman131
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
When the sample gets in I'll see about putting a picture up on here, at nearly half the price of ordering from the dealership I think there may be some interest.

Oh, yeah! Maybe a discount too based on the number of sets ordered?

brain_rinse
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Oh, yeah! Maybe a discount too based on the number of sets ordered?
Exactly! The factory chrome Moomba letters are on the winter group buy to-do list, but if you can get aftermarket for much cheaper that would be awesome.

keehr22
10-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm almost positive there would be some sort of a discount if ordering multiples. I wouldn't be able to do a group buy, currently in Afghanistan, but I'm sure I could just let them know there is more interest in the same decal.

I do know there is a difference in the materials used for these, these are 3-D domed decals using quality outdoor rated material. I believe the Moomba OEM ones are cast plastic or something of that nature. The company offered outright to send a sample, so I'll be sure to have my wife take pics and I'll report back on here as soon as they come in.

Once the info is up, just let me know who's interested and I'll pass a number along to TUFFLabels and see if the quote changes. Either way, group buys can be annoying sometimes, so I'll see if they can also keep the order on file for future buyers as well.

zabooda
10-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I plan to do a wrap on the back half of the boat and I'm not sure what it would look like. I was looking at doing newer stickers but it won't do much for me and others would notice the old boat with new stickers.

KSmith
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd be interested in the 3D lettering. I had the factory 3D chrome Moomba originally but they got buggered up and I had to remove them. I am running nekkid now but I think I'd like to have the 3d chrome lettering back...

LakePerson1952
10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Uh, could always go naked! That and that new tower would leave a lot of guys wondering how old your boat really is...

Sometimes less is more.

I agree. When I bought my boat, it had the big Moomba Oval on the side and I just plain thought it was ugly. I wasn't a fan of the other graphic options either. So, part of the deal when I bought was that the dealer would remove the graphic.

The result is astounding! Even the dealer thought it looked better naked. Almost every time I take it out, on trailer or water, someone comments on how good it looks.

KSmith
10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree. When I bought my boat, it had the big Moomba Oval on the side and I just plain thought it was ugly. I wasn't a fan of the other graphic options either. So, part of the deal when I bought was that the dealer would remove the graphic.

The result is astounding! Even the dealer thought it looked better naked. Almost every time I take it out, on trailer or water, someone comments on how good it looks.

Post some pics of the boat!!

viking
10-15-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm running naked these days too. It's just liberating :)

keehr22
10-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Sample came in the mail last week, here's a picture;

Chrome looks great, and is outdoor rated. Because these were samples the font wasn't the same that will be used for the finished product. I've requested a digital sample of the font, hoping to receive that this week and get an order placed.

Anyone interested?

kaneboats
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Maybe. I have to make a photoshop tester first. If anyone makes the logo to do this, please let me know.

KSmith
10-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Sample came in the mail last week, here's a picture;

Chrome looks great, and is outdoor rated. Because these were samples the font wasn't the same that will be used for the finished product. I've requested a digital sample of the font, hoping to receive that this week and get an order placed.

Anyone interested?

I may be interested. I need to see MOOMBA rendered in the proper font and then would need to know the final dimensions before I could say for sure.

kaneboats
10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Did you get anyone to measure the factory ones?

keehr22
10-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I sent a message back to dealer about getting a digital rendering, to see the font used. They will send that once order is placed, and tweak it if I have any further requests.

I guessed at the sizing, submitted a size of 7' x 30', if anyone has quick access to their boat and would be willing to post some actual sizes that would be great! I'll wait a day or two before I go ahead with the order.

I don't plan on doing a bulk purchase, but I will be paying the extra $35 "Artwork Fee", so anyone else interested won't be charged that fee.

psycho-heico
10-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Keep the board posted on the new font. I too would be interested...

keehr22
10-23-2011, 12:21 AM
The font used on the Moomba logo is "Masque". I forwarded the font file to the decal company and they are processing the order now, should have a rendering early next week. It looks as though they will match up with the OEM chrome decals pretty well now that the font issue is solved.

I'm also pricing the complete set, 2 MOOMBA side decals, 2 OUTBACK LS side decals towards the rear, and a transom MOOMBA decal. Assuming this will put it in the $300 range.

New Guy
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Once you know pricing let me know I might be in for reg #'s and a moomba logo.

keehr22
10-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Final quote is in, and it looks like I'll definitely be interested in opening a group buy here.

Here's the pricing;

Quantity of 3 sets; Total Price of $198.94 for each set of 3 decals

Chrome Moomba Side Logo, with LSE adhesive. Custom size 42" by 7" (inches) - $61.67 each side.

Chrome Moomba Transom Logo, with LSE adhesive. Custom size 24" by 4" - $75.60 each.

Quantity of 5 sets; Total Price of $148.64 for each set of 3 decals

Chrome Moomba Side Logo, with LSE adhesive. Custom size 42" by 7" (inches) - $48.63 each side.

Chrome Moomba Transom Logo, with LSE adhesive. Custom size 24" by 4" - $51.38 each.

Here's an example of what to expect for the decals, from another thread here on the forum. The side decals are OEM from dealer, but the transom decals pictured are the same domed style drip molded decals, in chrome polyester and same font;

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?11569-Chrome-Logos/page3&highlight=chrome+logo

I'm ready to order in the next week or so, if you are interested in the group buy let me know, I will probably order 5 sets either way, because I don't think I'll have any problem selling them off, at $150 for all three decals, that's a way better price than $500 from dealer for just 2 side logos.

In addition to the Moomba decals, I also had them quote for model logos for the sides as well, so if anyone has an Outback then here's the quotes below;

"OUTBACK LS" chrome decal, custom size 35.5" by 4"

Price for 2 sets; $132.54 for each pair

Price for 3 sets; $113.90 for each pair

kaneboats
10-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Can you ask them for a quote for "LSV"? Those will easily sell as well and I probably won't order unless I can get the matching LSV. Thanks!

wolfeman131
10-27-2011, 11:29 AM
also, can you ask about reg numbers?

RobertJ
10-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I am very interested as well. I have an LSV and like Kane said above I would want matching LSV logs. Also, how about a drip molded Roo.

keehr22
10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
As far as registration numbers, I think you're much better off ordering the chrome decals through a company that already sells them. Font won't match anyhow, the "Masque" font doesn't include numbers, only letters. Doing a quick google search I found tons of companies, one on ebay for $30 a set.

I would be willing to quote LSV is we have at least 3 commit to purchase, otherwise I can pass along the point of contact I've been working with and you can have those made up yourself. They now have the "Masque" font, as well as my order to reference, it's fairly easy process of just giving her the dimensions needed. I am taking on this project with the help of my wife back stateside, since I'm in Afghanistan right now, so I want to keep the order as least complicated as possible.

The prices are much higher on one-off orders, so that's why I've opened this up to a group purchase. Prices below are for single orders;

Chrome Moomba Side Logo, with LSE adhesive. Custom size 42" by 7" (inches) - $126.88 each side.

Chrome Moomba Transom Logo, with LSE adhesive. Custom size 24" by 4" - $196.67 each.

"OUTBACK LS" chrome decal, custom size 35.5" by 4" - $205.96 each side.

Looking at the quotes, I would guess your LSV would be another $50-75 per side, which would be lowered considerably if you found other interested buyers.

keehr22
10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Update, putting in order for 5 sets of decals. 5 is the magic number for getting the best deal, whether its 5 or 10 sets. So if more are interested later, another 5 sets can be made up for group purchase.

Each set will include 2 side MOOMBA decals, 1 transom MOOMBA decal, and 2 side LSV decals. For those of us with Outback LS's, we just cut the V off the decal.

I'll post a price once I have the adjusted cost with adding LSV. I imagine it being in the $200-225 ballpark for you guys, plus shipping. Still cheaper than most vinyl decals!

kaneboats
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I think it's time to ask the guy what the price is if you get 10 orders. Do you want to give it a couple days and see who's in? Pipe up if you are in on this.

You are number one and I'm #2. Others?

keehr22
10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
The price for 5 orders is the same as 10, I don't think there's another price point until it reaches much higher numbers. I'll hold off for a couple days to see if we pass 5 sets. Time for everyone to chime in!

eblom
10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I am interested but have a couple of questions... Does the size match up exactly to the factory spec? Also, does the "Moomba" match up to the factory logo. The Masque font is close but when I compared it the the Moomba logo, the logo had been fattened and squashed down some. Any chance we can get "Mobius LSV" like in the pic? BTW Thanks for the legwork on this....

keehr22
10-27-2011, 04:24 PM
The font will be the same, but the dimensions will not be the same as factory specs. Main reason is I've had to estimate on the size, as I haven't had any luck with measurements from guys who have the decals already. I also sized up the transom decal some, being 24 inches in length; I think this is 6 inches or more than the length of factory decal.

I came to the conclusion that I like the look of the chrome, but not the price from the dealership; this option may not be to factory specs, but it is a third of the price and will present the same overall look.

Going to keep it simple and just do LSV for this order, it will work for both Outback LS's and LSV's. If MOBIUS is wanted it could be made in a separate order, I can pass along info so they match it up with sizing of the LSV decal.

kaneboats
10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Went looking for a pic of the boat to photoshop. I found this one my daughter did last year adding a black stripe under the rub rail and the chrome logo. If you imagine the 4 black Exile tower speakers with it I think it will look fantastic.

wolfeman131
10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah, that will look great!

Boonejeepin
10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I know a guy that owns a sign shop. I will run this by him and see if he is willing to beat the prices quoted and to see if he can quote for LSV, XLV, etc....

keehr22
10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Kane - That does look sharp, I like the black accent stripe. I think the chrome looks great with the gray or black background.

Boone - I know everyone likes to sent work to friends, but I've put in quite a bit of legwork on this so far, and same goes for the decal company that I've been working with. This is a company that typically takes on large scale orders, and has taken the time to exchange a ton of emails regarding this somewhat small order. They've been very timely with quotes, and even sent samples to my home address free of charge.

They are currently in the rendering process, so we can make any adjustments to the font or overall size prior to making the final order. I'll post the rendering as soon as it's sent my way. Being that they are at this phase of the process, I've already shared my payment information with them; basically I've committed to making a purchase. I'd rather complete the sale with a company that has already shown excellent customer support, than pass it along to someone else who may be able to undercut the price a little. I still feel at $200-$225 this is a great deal, less than half the price of OEM and you're getting twice the decals.

kaneboats
10-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I noticed something I wanted to share. It has to do with the position of the side logo on the hull. If you go to the top of this page and click on "Mobius LSV", then on "photo gallery", compare photos 8 and 11. You will notice that the wrapped boat has the chrome MOOMBA logo a lot further to the rear than the unwrapped boat. I like them both but with mine being unwrapped I think I would match the unwrapped one. What do you guys think?

Boonejeepin
10-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I really do not want to get involved in setting up a group buy etc...... But I would buy my personal decals from the local shop if the price is less for me. If my local shop can make my decals the would also install for me. I don't have the most steady hand.

I will likely order a set through keehr22's and his vendor if the local shop can't do the same thing for a good price and timely.

Hope my first post did not come across the wrong way.

wolfeman131
10-28-2011, 12:15 PM
dimensions:

Overall length of lettering with aprox 1” between letters is 66” long
“M” is 5” tall and 11” wide
“O” is 4 ¾” tall and 9 ½” wide
“B” is 4 ½” tall and 10 ½” wide
“A” is 4 ½” tall and 10” wide

kaneboats
10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Nice work! Thanks. Interesting that they are not all the same size. Here's a closeup of the logo from the pics of the Mojo. You can see that the "O"s are smaller, etc.

keehr22
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Boone - All is good, I have a similar problem, except I'm ok with installing, it's the vinyl decal removal that I'm no good at, talk about a tedious process! Got impatient with my last boat, and went to a razor blade technique. Ended up costing me about $1500 in gel coat repair!

Wolfeman - Awesome, I'll call the company today, if my phones are up, and try to tweak the sizing.

Will have update on pricing and rendering of final product soon.

brain_rinse
10-28-2011, 01:38 PM
On the vinyl decal removal topic... Newer vinyl should peel off relatively easy with a hairdryer or heatgun, but for the older/brittle/baked-on stuff - 3M makes an eraser wheel that works great.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EFl43ySgL._SS500_.jpg

psycho-heico
10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Will he ship to Canada, or is this a USA shipping only??

keehr22
10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I'll ship to Canada, no problem, just might be a little more in shipping charges.

wolfeman131
10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
dimensions:

Overall length of lettering with aprox 1” between letters is 66” long
“M” is 5” tall and 11” wide
“O” is 4 ¾” tall and 9 ½” wide
“B” is 4 ½” tall and 10 ½” wide
“A” is 4 ½” tall and 10” wide

transom: 1.75”x21”.

wolfeman131
10-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I imagine it being in the $200-225 ballpark for you guys, plus shipping

Don't want to muddle this up, but OEM pricing (w/ a group buy discount) would be around $350, plus shipping. Don't know if the extra $125 is worth it, but if interest is there, I can help set this up.

eblom
10-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Is that 350.00 for all 3 decals (2 sides and transom)? or just the 2 sides?

wolfeman131
10-28-2011, 03:29 PM
All 3, assuming we can get enough orders and my assumption on the discount %.

It would NOT include any others such as mobius or LSV.

keehr22
10-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Update on order. Just passed OEM sizing to the company (thanks Drew!), she's going to put together the renderings in a pdf file, and I'll figure out a way to upload those on here for you guys to check out.

Each set will include: 2 side Moomba decals, 2 side LSV decals, and 1 Moomba transom decal.

Since they are all separate letters, The LSV crowd is covered, LS crowd is covered, and if XLV crowd wants to order 2 additional X's they'd be good as well. I don't imagine making an order for 2 letters would be very much at all. Letters will be shipped loose, with marking tabs on top layer for alignment during installation.

Since the dimensions are different than originally quoted, I'm waiting to see if the prices change at all. Probably in the range of $200-250. I'll be buying 5 sets, hopefully sell to the guys here on the forum first, and any leftovers will get tossed up on eBay.

OEM option Drew mentioned sounds like a good deal if there's enough interest. However, my "cosmetic" budget set by the wife is $250 or less, so I'm sticking to the non-oem route. Seems she's more concerned about the cost of the new engine...I guess she's got a point..but it'll sure look good on the trailer with some chrome letters!

kaneboats
10-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

moombadaze
10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
interested here.

keehr22
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Renderings are in. Sets will be $250 each, plus shipping.

keehr22
11-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Quick update, I had the main logo changed to 5 inches tall, rather than the 6 inches shown in the rendering, will match Drew's measurements.

Also, added an X to the LSV, so all sets will come with the letters to cover LS, XLV, and LSV.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'm going to place an order for 5 sets. Unfortunately I won't be home to install for guys to see the finished product, but I can have the wife take some pictures of them when they arrive. Turn around time is 5-7 days.

keehr22
11-02-2011, 12:17 AM

New Guy
12-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Any updates on this?? New pictures ect,

keehr22
01-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Decals are in! I have 4 sets at the house, $250 plus shipping, pics attached;

Wildbill
01-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I think I'm in for a set, but give me a week to make a decision as I'm looking at one other option. I'm leaning this way though. If I take a set someone can have the LSV decals if they want them, as I have a standard OB.

KSmith
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
What are the final dimensions for the main side MOOMBA? Are you taking PayPal and what is the cost to ship to Georgia?

keehr22
01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Sounds good guys, just shoot me a PM for paypal info, decals are standing by in my office here, ready to ship! If you're east of the Mississippi just add $15 for shipping, and west just add $20, I'll refund any difference as soon as they ship.

-Main side logo is 5 inches tall, and 66 inches long, as measured by Drew's OEM lettering.

KSmith
01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
PM sent and PayPal payment made.

Thanks Brandon!

keehr22
01-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks! Shipping yours out tomorrow. 3 sets left.

Wildbill
01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
I just purchased a set of decals, but don't require the "XLSV" letters in the set. Anyone interested can have them.

Thanks,
Bill

KSmith
01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
I just purchased a set of decals, but don't require the "XLSV" letters in the set. Anyone interested can have them.

Thanks,
Bill

Good point, I too will not be needing the XLSV letters so they are available to any that want them as well.

keehr22
01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
2 sets left!

eblom
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Have you put them on your boat yet? Would love to see pics of them mounted up...

wakemaker
01-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Hi keehr22,
I'm keen to have some decals made up, but found this forum and wondered if you still had any sets left?

keehr22
01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Wakemaker, good timing, I have one set left, if you're interested shoot me a PM for paypal info.

wakemaker
01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi again,
I have sent you a PM and would love to buy your last set if you're happy to ship to Australia. If you arePM me your paypall info and amount. Thanks

Wildbill
01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
I received my decals today. Very cool!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million Brandon!

keehr22
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Bill - Awesome! Can't wait to see some pics of them installed. I can't get mine on until early spring when my Outback comes out of storage.

Wildbill
01-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I spent 3 hours yesterday removing the decal from one side...........my fingers are killing me! I'll be buffing the gelcoat before installing them to get that mirror shine back. I can't wait to see them on there! I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks again Brandon

kaneboats
02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Hey, Wildbill, did you install your decals yet? I've spent hours prepping and lining them up and got going on the install today because it was very warm. I did the transom one last week and had no issues at all. But, the side decals are a totally different story. First of all, they did not come in a single sheet as was indicated. Instead, they came in individual letters that had to be strung together. Also, the plastic sheeting encasing the letters was applied in an extremely sloppy manner so it was nearly impossible to line all the letters up. I had an artistic friend help me tape them in place so they would not look too bad. After they were applied carefully and with pressure to remove bubbles as we went the finished look was not great. Full of air bubbles that seem to be between the front and back of the decals. I am disappointed so far and going to wait to do the other side. I'm not sure if its a problem with the product or if there is more we need to know about the installation.

dusty2221
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Man, that's def upsetting. Take a step back and relax, sometimes it actually helps. Just a thought, I use a little soapy water in a spray bottle on the surface of the sticky and whatever its going on. That will allow you to make adjustments for several minutes to line up. Once you are set, blow dryer or heat gun will get the moisture out.

wolfeman131
02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Bummer, Pat. The pics of the transom looked awesome and I was hoping the sides were going to as well.

jmvotto
02-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Pat that blows, hopefully the air bubbles will disappear as they set.

show the pics of the transom vs the sides.

kaneboats
02-16-2012, 10:15 AM
The first pic is the transom. It was fine. The rest are the side. It took forever to line them up as the spacing guides were placed incorrectly by the manufacturer and each individual letter's plastic sheeting was not square with the letter itself. Nor was the sheeting a uniform size. Each letter's sheeting overlapped the other letters making it very hard to remove the backing, even using the "hinge" install method. Despite efforts to keep them straight-- and we did very well on that part, the instructions posted above say to press from one end to the other to remove air-- which we did-- and then to use pressure to insure good contact. They were rubbed before the final sheeting cover was removed. When it was, they looked horrible.

wolfeman131
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
man, I think you all did a great job of lining them up & it's one of those, "looks good from afar, but far from good." I can almost see the "bubbles" you mentioned in the decals. Do you think the bubbles are between the decal back & the hull or actually in the domed decal itself? I had to use a long, thin needle to get some of the air bubbles out of my seadek, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk going into the gelcoat.

kaneboats
02-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I have heard of using a needle but let's just say I would have to put fifty punctures in them. The sites I've seen online say not to use that method on chrome or you will see it forever. I can't tell where the bubbles are but I can't press a single one of them out so it makes me think they are between the layers of the decal itself. I tried a little heat with a hairdryer and it did nothing.

jmvotto
02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Are those reflections or air pucker marks. I would call the manufacturer on these. The tufflabels etc. they should replace them if they are as reliable as advertised. the one sheet would certainly be preferable as opposed to individual letters. I assume we have a group buy revolt if all of these turn out that way.

Btw, did you have the back stripe added? looks good.

kaneboats
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks! I did the black stripe myself. I was trying to change up the look a little bit.

I had no contact with the manufacturer and don't even know who the contact was. This wasn't really a group buy. It was more like one guy who bought 5 to get a better price then sold off the ones he didn't need.

wolfeman131
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
it makes me think they are between the layers of the decal itself.

Calling Capt'n Kraig & Wild Bill!!!

Have you taken a look at yours yet?

Brandon may need to reach out to the vendor to help get this resolved.

kaneboats
02-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I tried sending them a message today to see if there is something they can do. We'll see what they say as I am not their direct customer.

jmvotto
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM

I would agree, I was looking at this option for reg numbers, so i guess i will wait and see what the remedy is?

Wildbill
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM

I haven't installed mine yet.....hoping to do it soon as I have just finished buffing the gelcoat. I'm kinda nervous now. I may try the soapy water trick to give myself a larger window of installation time.

........I'll let you know how I make out.

moombadaze
02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
now that ive seen the photos on here vrs the text message I see what your talking about. I dont think those bubbles will work them selves out. Sucks as I was going to give it a try too and now I dont think I will be.

But like I said, the boat looked good neked too

keehr22
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, I've been periodically logging in looking forward to seeing the first set installed..not the results I expected at all. I will call domelabels.com tomorrow and see what I can get done. I'll push for a refund due to total lack of quality control, or at the very least, new sets of side decals with alignment issues corrected and an explanation of how these need to be applied correctly, as it sounds like the instructions given were followed to failed results.

Sorry guys, I'll do my best to get something done here. I wish I had my boat here in TN so I could try out the soapy water method. I've always used that method with large vinyl decals and have had good luck with it.

kaneboats
02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I certainly appreciate it and I hope you know I don't blame you in the slightest. We may all be better off that one guy tried one side and stopped so we can get this worked out. The transom decal was perfect. By the way, you can see from the pictures of my stripe that I know how to install this kind of thing. That is not easy to do with a 3" stripe on a curved hull. Anyway, I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

keehr22
02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Just sent off an email, and will follow up with a phone call to Domelabels tomorrow. I placed my order with Brenda Wall at Domelabels, their number is 866.897.3663. I will ask about wet application, but I assumed since "soapy water" was discouraged in the actual instructions due to the "residue" that it wasn't a viable method. I'll update you guys as soon as I can get some answers.

KSmith
02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I haven't installed mine but I did take a peak under the backing.. holy shit, you guys have to see these in person to realise how shitty these things look with the backing removed.

There is no way in hell I am even going to try and put these on they are just butt ugly...

Keep us posted Brandon, they can have these back if they'll refund the money.

eblom
02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
That really stinks... I had really high hopes for these as well. Any chance of a group buy on the OEM ones?

wolfeman131
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
That really stinks... I had really high hopes for these as well. Any chance of a group buy on the OEM ones?

I can set one up thru Atlanta Marine.

eblom
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Thank you. Let me know... I am in!

KSmith
02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I can set one up thru Atlanta Marine.

Hey Drew, I'd be interested as well but it depends on $$$$. Keep me posted as well if you check into this.

wolfeman131
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
If I remember, it was $350 a set & min 5 sets. That was for 2 sides & transom. I'll confirm & start a new thread next week. I'm spending my valuable gas & beer funds at Disney this weekend.

KSmith
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Sounds good, thanks! Have fun @ Disney hopefully the weather will be better there than what they say we'll be getting here

kaneboats
02-18-2012, 03:13 AM
Allright, before we all go too crazy, let's give them a chance. Brenda, mentioned above, called me while I was on the road today but I couldn't hear a dang thing. By the time I got to call her back she was gone but a Manager from the company called me and we had a very good conversation. The result is that we are going to give it another try. He is going to send some much better application instructions and send a whole new set for the side that got messed up. I'll post up the instructions I get from him as soon as it's all received. They are working hard to resolve all our issues, including with the alignment and the bubbling issues. They recognized that, despite the fact I'm not really their direct customer, the instructions for this particular product should have been better and they are working to remedy this. So, let's give them a chance. I am really impressed with the transom decal so I think they deserve a shot to try to rectify. Let's see how it goes.

dusty2221
02-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Nice, that's a real good thing to hear. Hopefully this time around will "stick"

KSmith
02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
So they are saying new instructions are going to fix the problem? I haven't even installed mine and they look like hammer brass lures, seem they dent everywhere they get touched... keep us posted.

keehr22
02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Hey guys, just as kaneboats mentioned, the company is doing their best to rectify the situation. I spoke with Brenda on Friday, and they've acknowledged the issue with the application directions. Apparently these were the first decals of this type and size that they've sent out, and the common instructions don't apply. She said follow the initial directions of cleaning the surface well, then fill a spray bottle with water and one tablespoon of johnson and johnson baby soap. Align the decals (she says alignment tabs are computer generated and spot on, maybe some shifting in shipment or something) Then apply one letter at a time, using a generous amount of the spray solution to both the boat surface and the back of the decals. Then, use a squeegee of sorts to apply decal, working from one side to the other. She said to bend the letter a bit so that not all of the decal is placed against the boat at the same time.

The company is adamant about backing their products, and hopefully with the alternate instructions these things turn our real nice. Personally, I think I'm going to head up to my local vinyl sign shop and see about paying a professional to install the side decals when the time comes.

kaneboats
02-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I have a suggestion for you. They may have the letters "spaced evenly" but that is not how the Moomba logo looks. Have someone with artistic ability help you with the spacing. "Spot on" looks like crap as the letters are too far apart. It looks like a kid printing in all caps. Look at the name at the top of this page and you will see how close together the letters actually are. Even in a bigger size they should be much closer. I don't know what kind of template they used but it needs some artistic help.

rc5695
02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
... then fill a spray bottle with water and one tablespoon of johnson and johnson baby soap.
That's what I've used for tinting windows and applying stickers for over 15 years... Initial placement will let you move it around and position it as necessary, and then you just squeegee the bubbles out. Just make sure you let it dry for a day or 2 before putting any pressure on it, or in your case, dipping it in the lake.

keehr22
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
kaneboats, I see what you mean now, I initially thought that you meant they weren't aligned at all using the tabs. I'll definitely shorten up the gap between letters.

The manufacturer also said to give them a good week for the adhesive to cure prior to dunking in the lake.

KSmith
02-22-2012, 12:27 PM
So when are you going to share these new instructions?

kaneboats
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, as soon as I get anything from them I'll post it up.

kaneboats
03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Allright, I received the replacement letters for the one side. It looks like they have now moved the little alignment squares closer to each letter to tighten up the spacing so the letters are not so far apart (of course now they would not match the other side). They also changed the front side transfer tape to a thinner type that resembles wax paper. But, there were no instructions included. I'm not sure what to do at this point. If I attempt an installation and anything goes wrong I have no expectation that they would ship me more of these. Also, I have no idea how to make the two sides match. So, if anyone is interested in a set of these for cheap and is a good installer or wants to have a pro do it, please send me a PM.

KG's Supra24
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I vote you strip and go naked. :cool:

bergermaister
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
There ya go makin this thread feel dirty too...

kaneboats
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I put my new registration #'s on and decided to go ahead and add my "LSV" at the back because I finished the new stripe and my new silvery Roo decals came in. This is what it looks like on each side at the back now:

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13608&d=1331577402

The flash makes the roo look white but he's actually a shiny silver that's not quite chrome. In sunlight he looks great against the black stripe.

jpetty3023
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Man that really looks good Kane!! I love the Roo in the corner like that, almost as if he's under tow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
03-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks! I wasn't going to put him exactly there but my daughter (who has the artistic eye) made me put him right there and also helped position the letters at the back after we looked at 30 photos.

jpetty3023
03-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I think it came out perfect. May have to place an order myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSmith
03-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Crap... that's what I was afraid of...

Okay Drew, set us up with on OEM Group buy!!

kaneboats, where did you get the Roo graphics?

kaneboats
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Guy on eBay. Tom something I think. Ill put up a link when I get home.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

kaneboats
03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Do a search on "Moomba". Seller is tomjhall. Make sure you get "mirror image" so you have one for each side. I asked for chrome and he actually called me to tell me he could make a real shiny silver. Great guy and he usually sends a nice surprise too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moomba-Roo-Two-6-Mirror-image-Vinyl-Decals-Stickers-/220528939804?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item33588c931c

ian ashton
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't care for the chrome side letters (factory or otherwise) but if there are any extra transom Moomba decals I'll buy 'em.

wolfeman131
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM
kinda like a tramp stamp for your boat?

KSmith
03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
kinda like a tramp stamp for your boat?

LOL That is the only Moomba badge left on my boat.

ian ashton
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
LOL That is the only Moomba badge left on my boat.

Same here.

wolfeman131
03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but one of you did it by choice, the other by wife.

KSmith
03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah, but one of you did it by choice, the other by wife.

Quite so, quite so.

eblom
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Any chance of getting that OEM chrom eletter group buy started up? Thanks!

wolfeman131
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Yep. Been busy traveling for work. Thanks for the reminder. Will do later today when I get off the plane.

eblom
03-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Great... Thanks for setting this up...

wolfeman131
03-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Great... Thanks for setting this up...

go here to indicate interest in ordering:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17528-OEM-Moomba-Chrome-Decal-Group-Buy

Wildbill
03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, I put my aftermarkets on last night using the johnson and johnson soap tecnique. Small letters look awesome.......big ones.......same result as the other guys......crap. I spaced them better than the supplier indicated, but they still have that hammered metal look.....and there are definitely no bubbles behind them. It appears to be a manufacturing issue. Pretty disappointed. If I go with the oem units, I'll be into this for over $600.00 total......wife will kill me!:(

wolfeman131
03-22-2012, 04:07 PM
wife will kill me!:(

That's to bad & sorry to hear it. They worked well with kaneboats, so maybe they will honor a refund.

The wife won't kill ya until there is a comma in the number!

Wildbill
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
The wife won't kill ya until there is a comma in the number![/QUOTE]

LOL..........True!:D

kaneboats
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Well, I put my aftermarkets on last night using the johnson and johnson soap tecnique. Small letters look awesome.......big ones.......same result as the other guys......crap. I spaced them better than the supplier indicated, but they still have that hammered metal look.....and there are definitely no bubbles behind them. It appears to be a manufacturing issue. Pretty disappointed. If I go with the oem units, I'll be into this for over $600.00 total......wife will kill me!:(

I think at this point we are all justified in asking for a refund. Their product simply does not work in that large of a size and they should admit it and refund Brandon. I'm more than happy to keep the transom one and the "LSV" letters because I think they look great. What do the rest of you think?

wakemaker
03-24-2012, 06:48 PM
I have been checking in on this thread almost every day to see how the situation has progressed. I also have bought a set of the aftermarket decals, however I am still waiting for my boat to arrive so that I can attempt to install them. Since reading some of the threads I have checked my set and it appears to be the same as all the others. I am in the same boat, so to speak as Wildbill, as I had to do quite a bit of sweet talking to justify my first set of decals. A second OEM set on top of the first would be out of the question. I do not in any way hold Branden responsible, as the same thing could have happened to any of us, and I appreciate all the legwork that he put in to get the group buy off the ground. I do think, like kaneboats said, that due to the fact that the larger side decals are obviously faulty, that tufflabels should offer a refund, if only for the side sets.

Wildbill
03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I have been checking in on this thread almost every day to see how the situation has progressed. I also have bought a set of the aftermarket decals, however I am still waiting for my boat to arrive so that I can attempt to install them. Since reading some of the threads I have checked my set and it appears to be the same as all the others. I am in the same boat, so to speak as Wildbill, as I had to do quite a bit of sweet talking to justify my first set of decals. A second OEM set on top of the first would be out of the question. I do not in any way hold Branden responsible, as the same thing could have happened to any of us, and I appreciate all the legwork that he put in to get the group buy off the ground. I do think, like kaneboats said, that due to the fact that the larger side decals are obviously faulty, that tufflabels should offer a refund, if only for the side sets.

Well said. I feel the same way. Brandon, maybe you could let us know who to email and we could all send a request in them?

KSmith
03-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Well said. I feel the same way. Brandon, maybe you could let us know who to email and we could all send a request in them?

Agreed. I am only concerned about getting a refund for both of the large MOOMBA side sets.

keehr22
03-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the decals. This whole deal sucks. I'm finally getting my boat out of storage tomorrow and had planned on throwing the decals on. Sounds like the "easy fix" of using soapy water didn't do the trick either. I emailed Brenda at domelabels.com and told her that the large decals are faulty. When I talked to her last time, when kaneboats had the issues, she said they had never made the chrome logos so large before. I think it's an issue with the material they're using, not appropriate for larger sizes. Hopefully the company stands behind their product, good or bad. I did tell her that the smaller decals turned out great. I'll let you all know what sort of response I get. Again, sorry about the bad deal here

wolfeman131
03-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Somehow I knew Brandon was going to try and make this right.

Thanks for not bailing on the guys. If you can try and get some quick resolution, I have an OEM group buy set up.

KSmith
03-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Brandon, your efforts are very much appreciated!!!

kaneboats
03-28-2012, 09:14 AM
I think there is a consensus that in no way is Brandon to blame. In fact, I don't even really think Tuff Labels is to blame. They took a swing at something and it looks great in one size but they missed on the larger size. Based on how well they responded the first time around I am hopeful they will work with us toward some sort of resolution. Thanks again, Brandon, for staying with this thing and looking out for all of us. You can be sure we'll do whatever they want if they want them returned or whatever.

Edit: It actually worked pretty well in two sizes as both the transom MOOMBA and the LSV decals look good.

Wildbill
03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks Brandon! Let us know how you make out.

keehr22
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey all, no response as of today. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see where things stand. Be sure to fill you all in as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding!

keehr22
04-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I received this response today;

HI Brandon,

Sorry for the delay. You will be receiving a Credit Memo for a partial refund. I am sure sorry the decals didn’t work out, it is something we had no idea would be a problem.

Thank you!
Brenda

Once I get that memo with the amount I'll figure out how to refund you all via paypal. The company has handled this issue very well. Well enough that I may have them do up a quote for registration numbers this week. Not a group buy! But if it's competitive with the other thread that just started I'll post it up for anyone who is interested.

KSmith
04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks Brandon for all your efforts! Yes, the company has been very professional, supportive and helpful. It is unfortunate the attempt failed but maybe they can build on the leasons learned. Thanks again!

keehr22
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Just checked my bank statement and it looks like I've got a $280 refund from domelabels. Seemed to me that the larger the decals the more expensive, but after looking back at the original receipt it added up. The transom decals, because I only ordered 5, were the bulk of the expense. I'll get right on divvying that up by 4 ways for the guys here on the forum, I'll leave myself out of the equation. Again, I sure wish this had been successful, hope you all are able to get a good deal on the OEM chrome.

wakemaker
04-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Brandon,
Don't leave yourself out, mate. You're in no way to blame. I speak for myself, but I would be happy to see a 5 way split with the refund. I appreciate all your efforts and look foward to putting the transom and LSV decals on once my boat arrives. Cheers.

Wildbill
04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Brandon,
Don't leave yourself out, mate. You're in no way to blame. I speak for myself, but I would be happy to see a 5 way split with the refund. I appreciate all your efforts and look foward to putting the transom and LSV decals on once my boat arrives. Cheers.

I'm with Wavemaker..........5 way split! Not your fault.:)

KSmith
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm with Wavemaker..........5 way split! Not your fault.:)

I was just checking back on this and I too agree, 5 way, no fault of Brandons.

keehr22
04-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Was able to get you guys refunds through Paypal, let me know if you have any issues receiving them.

KSmith
04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Got it, Thanks Brandon!

Wildbill
04-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Got mine too Brandon.

Thanks

kaneboats
08-11-2016, 10:44 AM
I know-- "Holy thread revival, Batman!"

If anyone still has the letters from this thread lying around you no doubt recall that the small letters worked great but the larger MOOMBA letters did not work out and ended up with a "hammered" appearance despite best efforts in installing them. Well, I dug out the box a few weeks ago and had my artistic daughter work with me to get them on the boat. Then we plasti-dipped them black. The result was very good. Pics below.

The only problem is that the edges on each letter are beveled down so far it was impossible to just peel off the plasti-dip to remove it from the hull around the letters without also peeling it off the letters themselves. Our solution was to apply 3 coats within about 10 min of each other then wait till the third coat was still slightly tacky or just barely dry but still soft. She then traced or cut an outline of each letter with her fingernail and/or a small plastic edged tool to make a nice clean edge. The plasti-dip could then be safely peeled away. This made for a bit more work to get a good final result but we were very happy with the look and once we had a system it went a little quicker.

Anyway, the thickness of the plasti-dip combined with the matte finish completely negates the hammered metal look of the chrome. So, if you still have your letters you can copy this method with a good result or sell them in good faith to someone who wants to plasti-dip them. Hope this helps someone.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24820&d=1470926518

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24821&d=1470926547

dusty2221
08-11-2016, 10:58 AM
The black looks great Kane. Nice work.

kaneboats
08-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Thanks! Just like getting a new boat. :)