PDA

View Full Version : adding major ballast! (imput please!)

alex56
10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
We have an 0'8 LSV, with the 1,100 in the left rear, and the 400 in the center locker, well its not cutting it for how advanced were getting in wakesurfking and If i cared to watch a 90,000 centurian surf rot in salt water where we live like our moomba has over the last few years, id totally would buy one for the sport, BUT im gunna pass and just "BOAT" for this boat & spend more $$ on a few bags lol I have a few ideas on adding a few more bags, so if you have before chime in please...

my thoughts are to add the Bow sack for sure for another 600+lbs

Then possibly adding a 400lb sac under the port side seats and filling it to whatever capacity it will reach, Maybe even taking out the cooler because it does us no use anyway

adding another 400 in the right rear locker? i feel like it wold just take away from the 1,000 in the left corner

Thoughts, comments concerns ? thanks!

newty
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
We were out surfing last week with almost that set-up. 1100 rear, 800 on the seat, stock 400 in the floor and an IBS, all filled completely with 3 skinny guys and the wake was pimpin!

Have you tried just 1100 in the corner. I've heard of people having good luck with that set-up.

alex56
10-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks man! we usually run the 1,100 and the 400 with about 4-5 dudes all the time and its pretty sweet, yet i want bigger, since your running that much extra weight and its sounds like its giving good results im gunna go ahead and buy those other two sacks!

kaneboats
10-06-2011, 09:44 AM
There is a point of diminishing returns. You will burn a heck of a lot more fuel with very little more wake. Please let us know what you find out, especially if you find your "pefect" surf wake setup.

Oh yeah, and how about some more pics of the grey bomb? :o

you da man
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
If your addiction grows and your skills advance, eventually you might need a different boat

lsvboombox
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Im running 1100 in rear, ibs, center locker, took cooler out and put 400 under seats, got the big 1200 surf sac (L shaped)

I would say to plan on getting a 1235 acme or something close to it.

I also have 2 400 pound sacs that i havent tried filling yet. The wave is very sweet and the 1235wave makes a huge difference

bergermaister
10-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Im running 1100 in rear, ibs, center locker, took cooler out and put 400 under seats, got the big 1200 surf sac (L shaped)

I would say to plan on getting a 1235 acme or something close to it.

I also have 2 400 pound sacs that i havent tried filling yet. The wave is very sweet and the 1235wave makes a huge difference
Pics of this wave we must see...

sandm
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
pick up a few portable 400lb bags and experiment with what works. once you are happy, then figure out how to plumb them or some other bag in for good.

I have experimented with the driverside bag filling a little while surfing the pass side with mixed results. my experience has been there is never an "ideal" bag setting. every outing for us varies based on the crew, the chop, and what the skillset of the crew is for the day.. I use the 400 in the locker, an 1100 in the back corner and take 3 440 launch pads with the covers on them and use them as needed. sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's all 3.

good luck, and as mentioned earlier, if you don't have one of the 14x14 props, that will be your best upgrade..

mmandley
10-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I run some pretty big ballast with some pretty good size crews, 4 to 6 adults all the time. I have 1100s in the rear 400 in locker and 650 in the nose. I also run weight in both rear lockers at the same time. This is what i have found. i also have some pics posted of the wave dialing it in. I have a ton of pics from Labor Day weekend when the wave was just stupid huge with 7 adults.

General set up is 1100 in the surf side Regular
500apx 1/2 full on drivers side.
400 in locker
650 in IBS nose
5 adults in the boat with 3 sitting on surf side 1 in the bow and someone driving.

Regualr wave is huge and long with a ton of push in it.

Set up for Goofy
1100 in rear on goofy side.
300 axp in Regular side
400 in locker
650 in IBS nose
5 adults
2 sitting behind driver 1 opposite side of boat and 1 in the nose.

This creats a large wave long and tons of push.

Now each time we go out i do have to adjust weight and ballast amounts due to conditions and people.
Goofy side is much harder to clean up and make it look the way i want it then regular. Some days i cant run any weight opposite side and some days i have to run a ton.

The plan this winter
adding 2 or 3 more fill pumps to deddicate a pump to each bag
adding another 800lbs 400 per side under the seats. Removing the cooler
Add a custom 5 switch fill/drain panel

Currently i run the OJ wakeboarding prop and have no issues while surfing
Plan to upgrade to the Acme version to lesson the growl.
Fuel consumption is about average at 5 gal an hour

I also built custom braces for my 1100 in my V drive lockers.

newty
10-07-2011, 12:41 AM
I run some pretty big ballast with some pretty good size crews, 4 to 6 adults all the time. I have 1100s in the rear 400 in locker and 650 in the nose. I also run weight in both rear lockers at the same time. This is what i have found. i also have some pics posted of the wave dialing it in. I have a ton of pics from Labor Day weekend when the wave was just stupid huge with 7 adults.

General set up is 1100 in the surf side Regular
500apx 1/2 full on drivers side.
400 in locker
650 in IBS nose
5 adults in the boat with 3 sitting on surf side 1 in the bow and someone driving.

Regualr wave is huge and long with a ton of push in it.

Set up for Goofy
1100 in rear on goofy side.
300 axp in Regular side
400 in locker
650 in IBS nose
5 adults
2 sitting behind driver 1 opposite side of boat and 1 in the nose.

This creats a large wave long and tons of push.

Now each time we go out i do have to adjust weight and ballast amounts due to conditions and people.
Goofy side is much harder to clean up and make it look the way i want it then regular. Some days i cant run any weight opposite side and some days i have to run a ton.

The plan this winter
adding 2 or 3 more fill pumps to deddicate a pump to each bag
adding another 800lbs 400 per side under the seats. Removing the cooler
Add a custom 5 switch fill/drain panel

Currently i run the OJ wakeboarding prop and have no issues while surfing
Plan to upgrade to the Acme version to lesson the growl.
Fuel consumption is about average at 5 gal an hour

I also built custom braces for my 1100 in my V drive lockers.

Thats weird... my goofy side is always dialed w/o extra weight, and I'm always playing with weight on my regular side. I wonder what gives? They should behave the same... you would think. Maybe I need a little weight on the opposite side like you said.

I'll try to get some video/pics tomorrow to show.

mmandley
10-07-2011, 03:41 AM
Thats weird... my goofy side is always dialed w/o extra weight, and I'm always playing with weight on my regular side. I wonder what gives? They should behave the same... you would think. Maybe I need a little weight on the opposite side like you said.

I'll try to get some video/pics tomorrow to show.

Yea i dont what gives eighter LOL. When i run weight on the goofy side its so much more finikie to get a nice dark smooth no wash wave. On the Regualr side i can almost let people sit where ever they want and it jumps right up and cleans up easy.

If i can get the pics from my buddy i can post more pics. I have some posted i the wake surf section if i recall from right after i put the 1100s in.

wolfeman131
10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
my guess is that the differences between your two boats is due to where you have mounted the 14 batteries and 22 amps and the 28 speakers you guys have with your booming systems! :)

newty
10-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Yea see... I have less 160lbs on the port side now and + 160lbs on the starboard just from batteries.

mmandley
10-07-2011, 10:47 PM
That could be why its easier for you, IDK ill be working on it. Plus im going to a whole new battery system this winter that no one on here has tried. Its been talked about but i havnt seen anyone pull the trigger. Im pulling the trigger as i have some inside connections and a 40year electrician designing the system.

dusty2221
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
You switching to 6 volts?

lsvboombox
10-10-2011, 10:35 AM
You switching to 6 volts? lol............

wolfeman131
10-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Naw, mmandley is installing a super flux capacitor. It will run off empty beer cans.

KSmith
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
naw, mmandley is installing a super flux capacitor. It will run off empty beer cans.

lmao!! :d

mmandley
10-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Naw, mmandley is installing a super flux capacitor. It will run off empty beer cans.

Dammit Drew you said you wouldnt tell anyone till i figured out what beer it ran off best..

Seriously though im going to Golf Cart batteries. They are 6V but combining them to run as a 12V. So fare calculations show i can spend about 300 bucks on the batteries and get a solid 3 or 4 day play time at almost any volume i want and never charge them till im home again. This all came about with LBC trips this summer and no power to recharge my batteries. I am still working on this idea and will pull the trigger right after the hollidays, same time a little insider info , good chance all my Exile gear is comming out of the boat for something new, also working with Wake Makers on a new ballast system. I just got another bag from them today.