PDA

View Full Version : getting cold in Indiana!

skiyaker
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
went out for a quick set right at sundown last night- It's getting dark around 7:15-7:30 so we only had time for a set a piece; Water temp was 57 and I had to wear a full wet suit- felt like the cold water was really gripping my ski plus I had trouble keeping my knees bent in the full suit so I skied like dog poo; it's supposed to warm up this week so hopefully back to the shorty this weekend!

everybody else out there still skiing?

Boonejeepin
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I have not been in the water since Thursday. It was Cold!!!!!

I plan on going again if it stops raining.

rdlangston13
10-04-2011, 10:40 PM
We will be out this weekend and possible the last weekend in Oct

maxpower220
10-05-2011, 08:11 AM
I know what you mean, the air temp dropped into the high 60s for the first time since Apr. Winter is here.

skiyaker
10-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I know what you mean, the air temp dropped into the high 60s for the first time since Apr. Winter is here.

:P you southern guys suck lol I will say though it is beautiful skiing with the leaves changing color; kind of strange though to scrape frost off the windshield in the AM and ski in the PM

PatL
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
We are looking at mid 70's in Maryland this weekend so hoping for a couple good days of course skiing.

skiyaker
10-05-2011, 09:05 PM
was in the 70s here today so made it out to the ski club after work- it was glass and the water warmed up to the low 60s- the stuff january dreams are made of- it's getting dark so early my last pass was essentially by the light of the moon- I actually skied better once the sun went down because I quit looking at the buoys and just skied!

KSmith
10-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Oooo nice glass

zegm
10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
:P you southern guys suck lol I will say though it is beautiful skiing with the leaves changing color; kind of strange though to scrape frost off the windshield in the AM and ski in the PM

Actually southern guys are bigger wimps about cold water. I don't know many southern guys at all (none) that have drysuits and hardly any that have wetsuits to go skiing with. You northeners impress me with your dedication to the sport.
Also, if you ever move here I give you 2 to 3 years to become a cold water wimp too! It is all about what you get used to. To us a windbreaker is a "winter coat" and anything below 50F is COLD!!! Water temps below 80 is COLD!!! Our water temp is probably around 75F and EVERYONE here stops going out to ski, wakeboard etc. :)

KSmith
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Bunch a wimps... go ski Yellowstone Lake in early June when the ice breaks up and then you can cry about cold water.

It's a great experience and learning tool, what is does is give one great incentive to stay on top of the water... ;-)

Oh and just to be clear, those were the good'ol days and I will not likely be doing that again, I discovered Hypothermia is a real concept not just something they made up to scare the kids LOL...

zegm
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Bunch a wimps... go ski Yellowstone Lake in early June when the ice breaks up and then you can cry about cold water.

It's a great experience and learning tool, what is does is give one great incentive to stay on top of the water... ;-)

Oh and just to be clear, those were the good'ol days and I will not likely be doing that again, I discovered Hypothermia is a real concept not just something they made up to scare the kids LOL...
I discovered cold water shock last year in a Triathlon, which actually kills more people than the Hypothermia that sets in over time. Jumped in the water and immediately lost my breath and uncontrollably gasped for air. Luckily my head was above the water.
Ksmith, I grew up on Lake Allatoona, saw my first MasterCraft there in 1975 as a lifeguard at the Army docks. Lived in Acworth before I moved here but long before that we had to move the boat to Lake Sinclair due to the zillions of boats on Allatoona. But such a pretty lake, there are a couple of small shorelines on that lake that actually have Black Sand! Now I have been told where there is black sand there is gold, I just never found it! :)

KSmith
10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I discovered cold water shock last year in a Triathlon, which actually kills more people than the Hypothermia that sets in over time. Jumped in the water and immediately lost my breath and uncontrollably gasped for air. Luckily my head was above the water.
Ksmith, I grew up on Lake Allatoona, saw my first MasterCraft there in 1975 as a lifeguard at the Army docks. Lived in Acworth before I moved here but long before that we had to move the boat to Lake Sinclair due to the zillions of boats on Allatoona. But such a pretty lake, there are a couple of small shorelines on that lake that actually have Black Sand! Now I have been told where there is black sand there is gold, I just never found it! :)

Hey another Allatoonite ;-) It is a nice lake and you are right it can get wicked busy. We live 5 minutes from the blockhouse launch (if traffic is thin) and enjoy week day evenings and early on weekends. Hmm black sands and gold eh... where abouts are these black sand beaches?? :-)

Edit: Got so excited about gold forgot what I was going to say LOL

Yeah the wicked cold water can put the diaphram in lock down, can't breath, been there done that too many times LOL. My brother and I spend countless hours playing on the frozen over canels and untold hours thawing out after plunging through the ice into the cold arse water... Ah the good old days

zegm
10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
OK I will share the location if I get a cut! Face the damn, drive south about 1/4 of a mile looking at the shoreline and you can't miss it. It isn't very big but you will see beautiful black sand. The last time I was there I was standing on the beach and noticed a very large snake swimming towards the shore. I ran over to see what kind of snake could be that big and ended up staring at a big ole Timber Rattler about 7 ft long. I decided he could have that beach.
I have been told that Allatoona is the busiest lake in the world based on boats per acre.

KSmith
10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Cool!

That is a goodly sized rattler. In my home stomping grounds they made a new reservior (Ririe) by damming part of the upper snake river. When the filled it back in teh early 70's think it was, the lake was alive with rattle snakes, it was wild times.

Yup, according to Army Corps "Allatoona Lake is one of the most frequently visited Corps of Engineers lakes in the nation. Nearly 7 million visitors each year " so it can get crazy!

We avoid it on holidays and usually weekend high traffic times (mid-day to early evening). But it is close so it is our main haunt. On the 4th at our end of the lake where they do teh fireworks at Acworth beach the boats raft up and you could walk across the lake just stepping on the boats it seems... and of course with high density the odds for encountering an idget increase...

Inliner
10-14-2011, 06:11 AM
You guys make me feel bad. Going skiing this weekend with some friends on my home turf. Maybe I will post some photos of it for you! (And yes, I am chalk full of hate as you can see...) ;-)

sled - 1
10-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Come on Z we all know what the real story is :) We're still hittin it here in SE WI. MY PP said 68 degrees but not so sure how accurate that is. Lets put it this way, still haven't had to turn the heaters on in the boat or the lake house! Until then its still just skiing season, after the heat comes on it's borrowed time!

skiyaker
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Sled the temp in our rock quarry last weekend was low 60s and I was rocking the shorty. My ski buddy has a fancy malibu boat with a heater but that just makes it harder to get in the water for second pass- but I will say my next boat will have the engine in the middle and a heater at my feet.

sled - 1
10-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Dude hate to say it, but I been in my dry suit for a couple weeks. Actually its just easier, I can go straight to the dock in my jammies and get back and go straight back to bed bwahahaha

zegm
10-17-2011, 01:48 PM
What the heck is a boat heater?

Temp today was 88F when I went to lunch.

A/C still running everyday in the house.

BUT! Nobody is on the lake anymore!

Must be some sort of temperature phase shifting going on when you live in different areas of the country. :p

sled - 1
10-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Z it's been a while, but you suck :)

mmandley
11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Summer is deffiently over here. Winterized the boat alst week while the lake temp was 58 and air temp was 60 could have rode once more but no 3rd. Last night it was a crips 28 degrees at my house. Yard was hard froze, grass was crunching as the dogs tried to walk threw it lol. Glad my baby is tucked away in the garage it was a warm 62 degrees in the garage this morning lol

zegm
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
My son, wife and I did a sprint triathlon saturday. Air temp was 50F, water temp in Gulf was 75F and Yes we were freezing in our wetsuits!

deerfield
11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
My son, wife and I did a sprint triathlon saturday. Air temp was 50F, water temp in Gulf was 75F and Yes we were freezing in our wetsuits!

zegm - So, how did it go? Transitions? Swim? Any pictures? Congrats! - Deerfield

zegm
11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
deerfield,

No pictures yet. We did pretty good. My son was the first one out of the water. Now when you consider that about 5 of these competitors were doing the Iron Man the next weekend and he beat all of them! But he is on the High School and Panama City Swim Team. I caught him on the bike and we both ran the 5k together. He did finish just in front of me but that was probably a father thing. I came in second in my age group and he finished 1st in 19 year olds and under and he is only 14! The wife did really good as she has been having tyroid problems earlier in the year that kept her from doing any training until just recently. We now have a couple of real Triathlon wetsuits on order and can't wait until the next one (April). We were sort of laughed at when we showed up in our ONeil waterskiing wetsuits. Yes they are GREATLY different. But we did stay warm!

kaneboats
11-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Good for you guys. Way to compete! Go little Z!

deerfield
11-18-2011, 02:12 PM
We did pretty good.

Pretty good? I would say fantastic, each one of you. Mrs. Z is back in training and competing, little Z is first out of the water and in his age group overall, and you finish #2 in your age group. Way to go, Z family!

zegm
11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks All!

The whole family (wife, son, and 11 year old daughter) are going to be in Kaneboats town (Tallahasse) on Thanksgiving morning running the Turkey Trot. The wife and I are running the 10K and the kids are running the 5k. Last year 5000 people ran with us. It took us 2 1/2 minutes to get across the starting line. This year with a chip your time will start when you cross the start line.

Everyone is welcome to come run with us! :)

kaneboats
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I'd stop over and cheer you on but I'm booked on Thanksgiving morning. We make about 1400 hot meals at our church and deliver them to needy folks in the community. Then I go home and turn on some football.

zabooda
12-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Is it still cold?

skiyaker
12-10-2011, 12:21 PM
yup still cold but there are two reasons for optimism
#1) we're almost to the shortest day of the year
#2) 3 months from now is March- which is about when the ice thaws round these parts and allows me to bust out dry suit. so the countdown is on!

now if I can just get my finances in order to allow me to order an outback with a heater

peace out guys if you need me I'll be over on the wood burning forum for a few months
skiyaker aka HardWoodW

deerfield
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
skiyaker - My offer to pull my Outback and meet you next season in Indiana stands. It has a heater and is the best feature on cold days. - Deerfield

now if I can just get my finances in order to allow me to order an outback with a heater