PDA

View Full Version : Bad Cole Hersee Ignition Switch #95060

zegm
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Anyone else have issues with their ignition switch? It started the year off ok but slowly it would not make contact with the ignition system (red light on) but it would always turn the starter over. Yesterday we were heading out to the slalom course and it finally got us. No amount of wiggling and twisting it in weird ways would make it work. In the old days it was easy to hot wire the boat, this time it would still be easy if you wanted to cut into the nice harness, but I didn't want to make a mess. (Besides it was cold out 56F.)
Time to call Pamana City Marine and see what the price is and how do you get one with the same key. :sad:

kaneboats
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
You are better off getting a new ignition switch. It's really hard to make duplicate keys with this one.

moombadaze
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
go custom, hidden master switch, replace the ignition key switch with a push button start and and add a togle switch to shut her down

zegm
10-03-2011, 12:30 PM
You are better off getting a new ignition switch. It's really hard to make duplicate keys with this one.

I intend on getting a new switch but the problem is with the keys. If I can get the same switch and tumbler then I can use one key for glovebox and every where else the original key fits. With a new ignition and a new key now I have to carry 2 different keys, althought I have never used the key for anything else and not really sure what else it is used on? Glove box, Fuel cap?

04OUTBACK
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
$10 generic @ autozone!!
I lost my keys one weekend and insisted on using the boat so I ran down to Autozone and got a cheap 3 position ignition.. 3 wires and I was in business..

didn't ever think or notice that my glove compartment and ignition were the same on my 06.. but I have never locked my glove box either so .. and had several keys on floating key ring.. (trailer, hitch, etc) so never worried about more than 1 key.. plus the cheap ignition switch came with 5 keys...

zegm
10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
After calling around town and having people tell me they could order it and seeing prices like 58 dollars I decided to call Atlanta Marine. After speaking with Heidi and Cindy I now have a ignition switch on the way, cost 26.99.
I encourage anyone here if they need a part and they want to speak to the nicest, sweetest parts people in the business call Cindy or Heidi!

Amanda Knox is FREE!!! :)

cab13367
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
On my 06, the glove box and ignition are two different keys and there is nothing else that the ignition key is used for.

kaneboats
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty sure I have two keys as well. Never tried the glove box one. Maybe zegm keeps his gator-evator in there though so wants it locked up.

zegm
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I have two keys as well. Never tried the glove box one. Maybe zegm keeps his gator-evator in there though so wants it locked up.

No when I did take the evator it always sat at my feet in a plastic case. But since gators seem to have gone under cover (the last 2 years) I just leave it at home now. No the glove box is where all the I-phones are kept now. :)

LakePerson1952
10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
go custom, hidden master switch, replace the ignition key switch with a push button start and and add a togle switch to shut her down
If I ever need to replace my ignition switch, that is exactly what I will do except use a double-pole-double-throw switch with a momentary side and a toggle side - use the momentary side like a push-button and the toggle side for shut-down - and, yes, have a hidden master toggle switch (or simple key switch) that can remove power from the other switch - my cruiser has these and it is very nice to not need to worry about keys.

wolfeman131
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Or, just drop a mint on a Malibu with the push button screen where you enter your passcode then push a button to start it.

zegm
10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Or, just drop a mint on a Malibu with the push button screen where you enter your passcode then push a button to start it.

Hummmmm.......maybe I can get the wife to program her I-phone to interact with a little module hidden behind the dash so that she can call the boat from the living room and by the time we get down to the lift the engine will be all ready warmed up ready to go! :eek:

Hopefully the switch will be in today. Atlanta can't be more than 3 days UPS away from Panama City can it?

As far as going keyless when you park the boat in a lift in your backyard you have the chance that someone might just come by when you aren't home and go for a ride! Now if I was trailering the boat that might be different.
Now if I didn't have alligators behind the house then I could remove the fence that is about 50ft away from the waters edge so the German Sheperd could guard it at all times. No can't do that because alligators love dog meat. I guess the factory switch will have to do, and besides it was only about 27 bucks.

zegm
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I received a call yesterday at about 3:30PM from my wife. I could hear a motor running in the background. The new ignition switch had come in and she installed it, turned the key to start the engine, then called me to let me know we are back up and running.

Isn't it great to have an Electrical Engineer as a wife! :)