PDA

View Full Version : surf wave advice wanted- with photo

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Any advice on speed, weighting, wakeplate, etc... would be appreciated.

2010 XLV
1100 (mostly full) in the surfside v drive
factory 650 in the floor locker
400 (mostly full) on the surfside under the side seat/port side dash area
600 (not all the way full) movable ballast on the surfside floor as far back as possible
~10mph
wakeplate almost all the way up

1 driver and a few young kids that do not weigh much at all.

I am a wakesurf newbie. First time was about 2 months ago.

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 12:36 AM
adding a video as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDz5BA2UHU

08LSV
09-30-2011, 06:25 AM
That wave looks pretty good to me. But then again I like any wave that will carry me, even the white water. We are running almost the same weight, but our boat is an LSV and smaller so I'm guessing yours would produce a larger wake if they were both empty or weighted the same.

We run run 1100 rear surf side
400 center locker
650 bow
400 under starboard seats (Old long 600 bag not filled all the way.)
Couple of peeps in da boat.
Wake Plate 1/2 way (We have tried it in all positions but it works best for us at 1/2 way.)

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
I am wondering if it would be worth putting the extra 400 v drive locker bag that I have in the bow on the surf side. I guess I will just have to try it and see if it works.

It seems as if the wakeplate being all the way up made the wave taller and not as long but had much stronger push.

I am crossing my fingers for a few more boating days this year to keep playing with the setup.

cab13367
09-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes, some weight in front would extend the pocket. You might also try going a little faster, say 10.5 or 10.8 since you are running a lot of weight. That will also lengthen the pocket but will probably make the height of the wave a little shorter.

What stretch of the Willy was this on? Looks like you had it all to yourself. What's the water temp now?

89PROSTAR
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Looks pretty good Russ, just keep adding weight and moving things around, I'm still messing with things. Let me know if you need an extra body out there, I"m not ready to winterize yet either.

KG's Supra24
09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
With as much weight as you have in the back, I'd move some to the bow. Especially if you are wanting to lengthen the pocket. I have found there is a point of diminishing return with the rear weight. I rarely fill more than my 1100 anymore. When I do throw another sack on, I will put a few hundred in the non surf side to get the whole back of the boat down.

Also, we run between 11 and 12 mph.

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Looks pretty good Russ, just keep adding weight and moving things around, I'm still messing with things. Let me know if you need an extra body out there, I"m not ready to winterize yet either.

I'll text you the next time we go out. I just feel bad that we would have a few loud kids on the boat and that can be a pain for anyone other than the parents.

Are you planning on going out anytime soon (today)? It looks like the weather is turning foul.

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Yes, some weight in front would extend the pocket. You might also try going a little faster, say 10.5 or 10.8 since you are running a lot of weight. That will also lengthen the pocket but will probably make the height of the wave a little shorter.

What stretch of the Willy was this on? Looks like you had it all to yourself. What's the water temp now?

Thanks!

We were down by the falls at the 10th Street ramp. There were a few boats out there but we tried to stay at the end with little traffic since we were destroying the calm water yesterday.

I don't have a water temp gauge but it was cold!!! We moved here from NC and were used to bath water temps.

you da man
09-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Best wake I got with my XLV on the port side was 1100 rear full, two 400lb sacs in an "L" shape on the surf side and rear seat towards the back corner, 1180 center sac almost full, and 400lb in bow towards surf side.

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Best wake I got with my XLV on the port side was 1100 rear full, two 400lb sacs in an "L" shape on the surf side and rear seat towards the back corner, 1180 center sac almost full, and 400lb in bow towards surf side.

Thanks.

That is a lot of weight. It takes quite a bit to get this boat leaning. I'll try more up front and check back in.

you da man
09-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks.

That is a lot of weight. It takes quite a bit to get this boat leaning. I'll try more up front and check back in.

We surf at 11.5-12.2mph

Boonejeepin
09-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Moved the factory 400# v drive locker from the non surf side to the surf side bow under the playpen "seat". It fits fairly well there and the fills most of the way. I stopped by Wakemakers this week and grabbed some hose and fittings to run the bag under the surf side cockpit seat/port dash area off the factory non surf side locker pump.

I am not sure if I should try plumbing the 2nd forward bag under the seat (playpen area) into the lines for the first under seat bag (side cockpit, port dash area) or to just fill the playpen bag with a handheld pump that I have. My concern is that I would not be able to control the individual fill volumes causing the seat cushions to pop up on one or both seats. It is very nice to have almost all of the ballast hidden. I still have a 600# bag to move around.

Excited to try this setup....

Boonejeepin
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Added 400 under the surfide play pen seat.

Just me in the boat.
1100 surf side v-locker
650 in the floor locker
400 under the surf side seat/port dash area
400 under the surf side playpen seat
600 on the rear floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRBbs8p3-U

you da man
10-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Added 400 under the surfide play pen seat.

Just me in the boat.
1100 surf side v-locker
650 in the floor locker
400 under the surf side seat/port dash area
400 under the surf side playpen seat
600 on the rear floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRBbs8p3-U

Video is "private"

jmvotto
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
ditto, private tried to view it from Ipad, galaxy tab and dell cpu... ugh.

love to see it.

Boonejeepin
10-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Changed to public.

you da man
10-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Not bad but could be better, you really should put the sacs in the back corner of the seats to get the back corner of the boat deeper in the water. I'll PM you a couple pics I have of my port side wake. I've gotten the wake waist high easily.

jmvotto
10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Not bad but could be better, you really should put the sacs in the back corner of the seats to get the back corner of the boat deeper in the water. I'll PM you a couple pics I have of my port side wake. I've gotten the wake waist high easily.

AJ post them up here for all to see.

you da man
10-03-2011, 11:06 PM
AJ post them up here for all to see.

Posted up in the "surf wakes" thread

bergermaister
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Boonejeepin - you running upstream or down or? I have to adjust accordingly by a few MPH to get a good consistent wave. Faster headed downstream, slower upstream.

Boonejeepin
10-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Got a few last rides in thanks to the wetsuits. Sadly the boat is winterized now. :(