PDA

View Full Version : Cleaining Seadek stains?

pmoomba
09-29-2011, 07:33 PM
I have to leave my boat outside during the season and never had a swim platform cover. My seadek still looked as good as new until today when I picked it up from a dealer (non-SC) where I had some maintenance done. They had left it outside too, but I have no idea what they did because there are stains all over it and in truth it looks pretty terrible. Some of the stains don't really look like dirt, they're more reddish like a fluid but I didn't have any fluid work done.

There are stains like that all over.

Seadek's site say to use a stiff brush and cleaners like simple green. The picture above is after I took a nylon brush and scrubbed it with simple green and rinsed it off. It definitely took a some off (it was even worse) but there are still stains like that all over the platform that won't come off, and I can't really scrub any harder or I'll tear the material, I already made a small nick trying to get a stain off.

I'm a little pissed because in addition to wanting to keep my stuff nice, I was also thinking about selling/trading in soon and I don't want to do that with the platform looking like trash. The seadek site also lists stuff like softscrub or bleach, I'll try something like that tomorrow, but anyone have any other ideas?

wolfeman131
09-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Oh man, that does look bad when you enlarge the pic. SORRY!

My other idea is to simply call the dealer and let them know they owe you for a new SeaDek pad.

pmoomba
09-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, all I had at the time was my cell phone and it was at the end of the day so the light was dying. It looks completely terrible in the sunlight and real-life (or a better quality pic).

That's the other path I'm going to work on but thought I'd give cleaning a chance. I'm not looking forward to trying to remove this one and put a new one on, I can't imagine it's easier than removing the original black pad.

wolfeman131
09-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd try to avoid straight bleach. Maybe the softscrub w/ bleah or scrubbing bubbles would be better.

deafgoose
09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
mr. clean magic eraser?

jmvotto
09-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Looks like they parked under some type of berry bush or tree. Ugh.

Try simple greeen diluted first then reduce the dilution until gone or full strength . Let sit five to ten minutes between applications. Use one of those soft shami spongues not to destroy the pad,

kaneboats
09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Try "Shout", the laundry stain treatment stuff and/or "Greased Lightning". That stuff usually works when nothing else does and won't hurt anything. WalMart should have both of these. Good luck!

pmoomba
09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Looks like they parked under some type of berry bush or tree. Ugh.

Try simple greeen diluted first then reduce the dilution until gone or full strength . Let sit five to ten minutes between applications. Use one of those soft shami spongues not to destroy the pad,

Yeah it's weird, my cover doesn't have any similar stains near the transom and I checked a few of the boats parked near mine and didn't see any issues either. I'm out of town and won't be able to do anything until Sun or early next week but I'll give some of these suggestions a try, thanks guys.