PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

chawk610
09-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey yall... I have an '08 Mobius LS. This is my first boat with a tower. Will one of those Z5 cargo bimini tops fit on mine?

Question #2... where can I get some more Moomba koozies with the suction cups on the bottom? I have had (2) idiots lose some!!!!!:mad:

Bottom line... those will only be used be the wife, me, and a "select" group.

wolfeman131
09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Yep, Z5 will fit that tower but ya better have some $$

Koozies are a group buy thing Ian has put together past 2 yrs.

chawk610
09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Are they like 1000.00? I guess there is an announcment about the koozie deal??? I sure don't want to miss it!

KSmith
09-28-2011, 06:04 PM
For a grand they will send you a framed picture of a Z5... but not a real Z5 ;-)

wolfeman131
09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
sorry man, but Kapt'n Smith is right on this one. Folks have previously stated it's an easy $2k for a Z5 if your dealer will even work with you to get one. If your local dealer won't help, call Atlanta Marine. They seem to come thru for a lot of people.

You will need to talk Ian "King Koozie" Ashton into putting together another group buy.

you da man
09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
My dealer said $2495 for Z5 and wanted to charge me the freight to the dealership. All BS-ing aside...the Z5 when shipped comes in a box as big as a queen size mattress at minimum. I was lucky to find a dealer with one laying around and got it shipped to me for $1500 total.

moombadaze
09-28-2011, 08:26 PM
the Z5 is one option I really wish I had, but for the price to get one after the fact, well, its just not going to happen. Try looking at the monster tower bimini-think there around $6-700

08LSV
09-29-2011, 12:41 AM
I have one that came on my boat and while I do like it, I don't think I would get one if I were to buy a new boat tomorrow, even if it was free. Yes they are great as you can store things on top of them, but we rarely do. We usually try to travel pretty light. If you travel with a bunch of stuff your taking to the beach or a campsite then you may feel different. In order to drive 70mph on the freeway you have to take it down and tie it into the boat. I have done it a few times with it still on but I was so paranoid I could barely drive. It wouldn't fit into my Avalanche with the bed cover on and it is a real pain to take the canvas off and leave the frame up. I like the thought of unfolding the Bimini when you need it and folding it up when you don't. If your out on the water and its a little chilly you can't just fold up the Z5 and get some more sun in the cabin seats. Like I said doing it over again I wouldn't have gotten it, but I will keep it since it's already there. Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't have one, but I certainly wouldn't pay $2,500 for it. For $1,000 I could just get some killer swivel racks to hold my boards.

And no I will not give/trade it to anyone... HaHa I will keep it till I sell the boat.

KG's Supra24
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
If you travel with a bunch of stuff your taking to the beach or a campsite then you may feel different. In order to drive 70mph on the freeway you have to take it down and tie it into the boat.

I have pulled with my z5 almost every weekend from May to October for 2 years now, about an hour drive one way. Haven't had any issues. I do pull the material off if I'm traveling over 2 hours.

Z5 is great but really expensive outside of the boat purchase. Alot of people on here seem to like the Monster Cargo rack.

chawk610
09-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Wow... well I already have a nice bimini top, so I guess I will stay where I am at. It's the tube, the d*mn tube the kids always want to take... man that thing is in the way. I have thought of mudrering it under the cover of darkness... you know, real quiet like... steak knife to the guliver!

I will stalk this Ian Ashton yall speak of... :)

NCSUmoomba
09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
It might be better to invest in one of those 12V air pumps to inflate and deflate the tube quickly, that way you don't have to deal with it while underway.

KG's Supra24
09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
^agree with the above

brain_rinse
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
3 years of towing with my Z5. I tow 7 hours each way several times per year with the Z5 up, fabric on. The only issue I've had is cleaning the bug splatter. Although now that I've seen Razz's bimini top I kinda hope the material starts to wear out so I can get some sweet looking custom fabric to replace it with. :)

KSmith
09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
^agree with the above

Ditto the above the above abive... above... I think...

I have on occassion had the tube(s) inflated and hauled to our spot tied to the sun deck then tossed an anchor and tied off the tube(s) to it in a cove when we are not using them but are boarding, skiing, swimming...

FamilyMatters
09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
We Love the Monster Tower Cargo Bimini!!!! My Tube is to big to fit between the Tower Arms (but I hate tubing and try to leave it at home when I can) We carry a Slalom Ski a Knee Board and a Surfboard on the Bimini and 3wakeboards in the racks and the Boat floor is empty!! Except for the cooler (because the in floor cooler is a septic tank). It's the Best $599.00 I've spent on the boat!! It's great shade too! I pull the Cloth cover off to tow, and it takes about 5 minutes to put it on and to take it off!

Peace
Darren

08LSV
09-30-2011, 06:03 AM
I have pulled with my z5 almost every weekend from May to October for 2 years now, about an hour drive one way. Haven't had any issues. I do pull the material off if I'm traveling over 2 hours.

3 years of towing with my Z5. I tow 7 hours each way several times per year with the Z5 up, fabric on.

OK I have to admit that I used to drive with my Z5 still on (canvas also) until I passed a Big Rig on a two lane road. I was going about 65mph and he must have been going 90mph.... Luckily I have my Z5 tilted forward (Back higher than the front) so I don't have to duck down to walk under it. If I had the front any higher and the wind from that Rig that pushed it down had pushed it up, it probably would have ripped it off. Ever since that time we pull the whole rack down and tie it down in the cabin. It is much faster than taking the material off. Well maybe I should say it is faster than having to put the canvas back on. Also taking the Z5 down I get hella better gas mileage (It's about 30mins drive primarily on the freeways to the closest decent lake).

chawk610
09-30-2011, 07:21 AM
I have the inflator... I'm just lazy. I even have a tube anchor.

cab13367
10-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I have one that came on my boat and while I do like it, I don't think I would get one if I were to buy a new boat tomorrow, even if it was free. Yes they are great as you can store things on top of them, but we rarely do. We usually try to travel pretty light. If you travel with a bunch of stuff your taking to the beach or a campsite then you may feel different. In order to drive 70mph on the freeway you have to take it down and tie it into the boat. I have done it a few times with it still on but I was so paranoid I could barely drive. It wouldn't fit into my Avalanche with the bed cover on and it is a real pain to take the canvas off and leave the frame up. I like the thought of unfolding the Bimini when you need it and folding it up when you don't. If your out on the water and its a little chilly you can't just fold up the Z5 and get some more sun in the cabin seats. Like I said doing it over again I wouldn't have gotten it, but I will keep it since it's already there. Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't have one, but I certainly wouldn't pay $2,500 for it. For $1,000 I could just get some killer swivel racks to hold my boards.

And no I will not give/trade it to anyone... HaHa I will keep it till I sell the boat.

Agreed. Esp here in the NW, I hardly ever use the bimini , we welcome the sun! But when we do need shade, it's there. And I have racks for everything so don't need the storage room. And there's enough to do already to get the boat in and out of the garage so the last thing I want to do is add one more thing to that process.

I know there are lots of folks here that swear by their Z5 and I do agree that it looks great but it's not for me.

Al

cab13367
10-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I have on occassion had the tube(s) inflated and hauled to our spot tied to the sun deck then tossed an anchor and tied off the tube(s) to it in a cove when we are not using them but are boarding, skiing, swimming...

I do the same except we don't air the tube up until we are ready to use it. Once inflated, it stays in a cove tied to the anchor. I keep hoping someone will steal it one of these days .... :)

rdlangston13
10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
3 years of towing with my Z5. I tow 7 hours each way several times per year with the Z5 up, fabric on. The only issue I've had is cleaning the bug splatter. Although now that I've seen Razz's bimini top I kinda hope the material starts to wear out so I can get some sweet looking custom fabric to replace it with. :)

razz replace his Z5 canvas? mines has a few small holes where the cloth rubs the frames rails

brain_rinse
10-03-2011, 12:18 AM
razz replace his Z5 canvas? mines has a few small holes where the cloth rubs the frames rails
No, he just has a custom bimini that looks pretty cool. I'm guessing you could send in the canvas and have it duplicated but with a new color/pattern.