PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid in the Hull

Hawaiianstyle808
09-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a 2009 Outback V and went to start wintertizing the boat yesterday. Found some pink stuff in the hull under where the V drive oil is that looks like transmission fluid. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Couldnt find where it could have been leaking, but the transmission was almost bone dry. :( Really hope I don't have to replace the transmission.

mmandley
09-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Trans is pretty tuff and i know last year mine was pretty low at the end of the season and i never found or saw a leak. Your going to need to wipe the trans down really good with a quality cleaner. Then get some white paper towels and wrap it around the bottom and sides. Then check it every week or sooner if the leak is there to see where its comming from. Id expect a seal but no telling.

DOCDRS
09-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I have a 2009 Outback V and went to start wintertizing the boat yesterday. Found some pink stuff in the hull under where the V drive oil is that looks like transmission fluid. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Couldnt find where it could have been leaking, but the transmission was almost bone dry. :( Really hope I don't have to replace the transmission.

Have you ever had the tranny serviced???? did they clean the filter screen???? fill her like above and put paper towels on the floor or around taped in place like above to determine where the leak is. Could be screen cover ,but could be a tranny cooler line , or maybe the tranny cooler itself, but would expect water in the tranny if it was the cooler.

When was the last time you checked the fluid levels......you should do this periodically during the summer......

Hawaiianstyle808
09-27-2011, 07:19 PM
This is my second season with it and I normally take it to the dealer to winterize it. I guess I assummed they would check that stuff for me. Haven't been checking the fluid levels on my own at all this year. Will be more vigilant about fluids now that I know.

Might be a silly question but can I run the boat with the paper towels around the transmission or would that be a fire hazard? Anyone know the cost associated with the cooler line, tranny cooler, or screen?

Thanks for all you help guys.

DOCDRS
09-27-2011, 07:38 PM
This is my second season with it and I normally take it to the dealer to winterize it. I guess I assummed they would check that stuff for me. Haven't been checking the fluid levels on my own at all this year. Will be more vigilant about fluids now that I know.

Might be a silly question but can I run the boat with the paper towels around the transmission or would that be a fire hazard? Anyone know the cost associated with the cooler line, tranny cooler, or screen?

Thanks for all you help guys.

No, no fire hazard. I would not worry about the cooler, cooler lines, or screen they should be fine......if they did a service on the tranny and cleaned the screen then maybe they did not tighten the bolts enough and thats your leak. its tricky to clean the screen but not difficult...the engine does not have to be pulled.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10977-Transmission-and-Vdrive-Service

JERRY2008 OUTBACKV
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
hello same thing on my 08 outback v check you trim reservoir fluid level. found my line to the left shock leaking at the line pulled tightend refilled with fluid added dish soap and hot water drove around town a little, flushed out system good as new. hope that helps you

JERRY2008 OUTBACKV
09-27-2011, 10:26 PM
oh yeah by the way it uses trans fluid any brand works fine & fill with tabs completely retracted.

Hawaiianstyle808
09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Anyone know what the warranty is on the transmission and if its covered under the engine warranty?

DOCDRS
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Ok this is starting to look suspicious.........is the tranny not working, if you have been getting it serviced at the dealer, you should take it back to them asap.......are you the original owner of the boat? Did you buy it from a dealer? If you bought the boat brand new I would expect you to have the paperwork and know the warranty issue. Sorry to be blunt but things don't sound right here.

Hawaiianstyle808
09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
I am the original owner of the boat and bought it from the dealer. We bought it in 2010 but it was a 2009 model and the dealer couldnt find most of the manuals which is why I didnt know about the warranty. Needless to say we contacted the dealer yesterday and they told us it was still under warranty thankfully. We are taking it over to them this weekend. Thank you everyone for all you help.

DOCDRS
09-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Glad to hear. The dealer should take care of you. You should get a manual or you can download one from the website. I recommend you read and familiarize yourself with the features options circuit breakers on your boat as well as fluids to check. There are a lot of how to articles. Here to do basic maintenance and trouble shooting. Welcome to the forum , let's see your boat. Keep us posted as to where you lost your fluid from.

squeeg333
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I had a simlar experience just this past weekend when I went to winterize my boat. I haven't had a chance to use it the past month, so the bilge was bone dry, except for right under the v-drive. It appeared to have a very minor leak, as there was a faint oil spot below the v-drive. I felt underneath the drive, and found a very small amount of oil on the bottom. I wiped it down really good, and proceeded to change the v-drive and tranny fluids, and finish winterizing. I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but where I found the oil on the bottom of the drive was from one of the bolts on the bottom cover plate (similar to the top plate with 6 bolts). So, we'll see. I plan to just put paper towels down there during the winter and see what I see come spring. I couldn't tell if there was anything coming from the shaft seal, that felt normal.

Hopefully it's nothing. Levels checks good prior to removing the fluid, so not too concerning just yet... just intersting.

I still for the life of me can't get to my v-drive filter like you could Doug.

harmsway
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
On our '08 Mobius LS "DD" the transmission fluid was on the low side of the marks, so I filled it up to the full mark. That was a mistake. Never had a problem with transmission fluid in the hull before, but after filling it to the full mark I started seeing fluid in the hull after running the boat each time. Not much but enough to notice it. I am pretty sure the fluid is coming out the vent tube when we are surfing and cut back accross our own wake. When I service the transmission this year I am only going to fill it just above the lower "OK" mark. Remember it doesn't take but a very small amount of fluid to make a mess.

mnpracing
10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
On our '08 Mobius LS "DD" the transmission fluid was on the low side of the marks, so I filled it up to the full mark. That was a mistake. Never had a problem with transmission fluid in the hull before, but after filling it to the full mark I started seeing fluid in the hull after running the boat each time. Not much but enough to notice it. I am pretty sure the fluid is coming out the vent tube when we are surfing and cut back accross our own wake. When I service the transmission this year I am only going to fill it just above the lower "OK" mark. Remember it doesn't take but a very small amount of fluid to make a mess.

where is the vent tube?

squeeg333
10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I had the exact same thought harmsway. I filled both the v-drive and tranmission to the full mark, but in thinking about running at the high levels thermal expansion of the fluid could cause seals to leak, or, in your case, fluid to find it's way out the vent. I've heard somewhere actually to not fill to the top level in these, but can't remember where I heard that.

harmsway
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
where is the vent tube?

On the direct drive you can pull up the floor panel between the engine cover and back seat and you can see the complete transmission. The vent tube is on top of the transmission on the passenger side "U looking tube". When I first saw some transmission fluid in the hull, maybe 1/4 once, I pulled up the floor panel and it was the most wet around the vent tube and you could see were it was running down the side of the transmission. Once I realized where it was coming from I did much worry about.

myster
10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Just something to check......I had this issue, and after looking ( and feeling around ) I discovered a loose bolt on the upper left side of the tranny. I tightened it up and presto, no more tranny fluid leaking into the bilge!!

squeeg333
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Myster, are you talking about a bolt on one of the cover plates?? It almost looked like there was a few drips on one of the lower cover plate bolt heads, but I didn't investigate really deep into it. But, something that I'll keep in mind