PDA

View Full Version : What should be done at 100 hours?

chiro1
09-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm about to winterize my 2007 Moomba Outback and I called the service shop to ask what they recommended.

It has 100 hours on it and he says that he recommends Oil change with winterizing at $299.00, also changing the Impeller at $93.00, and Flushing the transmission at $100.00.

How does this sound to those of you who are boat veterans? Seems reasonable to me but 100 hours is not all that much is replacing the Impeller and flushing the tranny necessary already?

Jeff

zabooda
09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Sounds like an opportunity to save $400 by learning to do the work yourself. There are good instructionals on this board than can help you through the process. The work is not difficult but it is time consuming.

Razzman
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Look in both the "Service and Repair" and "How To Information" forums, you'll find tons of information to help you out with this.

DOCDRS
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm about to winterize my 2007 Moomba Outback and I called the service shop to ask what they recommended.

It has 100 hours on it and he says that he recommends Oil change with winterizing at $299.00, also changing the Impeller at $93.00, and Flushing the transmission at $100.00.

How does this sound to those of you who are boat veterans? Seems reasonable to me but 100 hours is not all that much is replacing the Impeller and flushing the tranny necessary already?

Jeff

Oil/filter change is part of the winterizing process (unless one was just performed). Impeller should not be changed at winterizing but in the spring. How exactly are they going to flush the tranny. Is the filter screen going to be removed and cleaned , or are they just going to suck the fluid out and replace with new?

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10977-Transmission-and-Vdrive-Service
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?9877-Winterization-Procedure-with-pics-by-Al

I would check these out, and also check the alignment as well.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10834-Prop-Shaft-Alignment-Yearly-Maintenance-Item

NCSUmoomba
09-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Man, I seem to post this a lot. Look and see what the owner's manuals say. I do that to the letter and take no chances. Also, keep in mind, some of the items are X number of hours or annually, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. Personally, I never trust any service folks to "recommend" what service is due.

To answer your questions directly, the impellers will last for a while, but they dry out and get damaged by debris, so you never know when they will kick it once they start to get some age on them. As far as the transmission fluid, I change mine every year(I average about 75 hours a year) and it still looks like new when I drain it.

maxpower220
09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
If you do the maintenance yourself, you can save a lot of money and you can know the products that you are putting into your boat. If you like brand X,Y or Z oil or filter, you can use that. No need to worry if the dealer uses it. Winterizing is not that hard and anyone can do it with a few tools and a few hours. Do remove the impeller at winterization. Leaving it in one position for several months can lead to early failure Leave it out and then install it again in the Spring. Or, install a new one and use it as a spare for the season. Transmission change: The only thing I have done is suction out the fluid in the case and replace it with new. I do it every 100 hr or every other winter. Like cars, there are many transmissions out there with 1000s of hours (or 100,000 miles) that have never been changed.

Good luck.

Read the owners manual???? That's crazy.

sandm
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd do oil change and tranny service at the winterization and have them make sure the boat is hooked back up to just back into the water and run the next spring. saves you from having to pay for a de-winterization in the spring that is basically a waste of cash. then change the impeller next spring.
my .02..

and fwiw, there are lots of people that are not mechanically inclined or just don't want to/have the time to do boat work themselves. more power to those that do take it to the dealers. that keeps the service department employed with quality employees for the times the diy'ers need warranty work done..

mmandley
09-27-2011, 06:43 PM
WOW thats a 20 hr service the dealer is giving you lol. My last 100 dealer service was 550 and now they charge 700+
includes

Oil change
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Trans fluid change
Clean trans screen
Replace Impeller
Check adjust shaft alignment
check and adjust shaft seal if applicable
Check and change wake plate fluid if needed
Adjust belts replace if needed
replace 8 spark plugs
replace spark distrubution cap
replace rotor
run computer diagnostic
inspect trailer lights
inspect trailer breaks
retorque trailer lug nuts

I might have forgot something but it is a great service but i think its way over priced.

Then you pay another 150 to winterize lol. But my dealer generaly likes to do the 100hr when you summerize the boat this way everything is checked out before you take it out on the water. Also they will change the fluids and winterize it free if you prepay the rest of the 100hr then bring it back in the spring.

I paid for the 100hr service at 80 hr on my boat which was the start of 2010 season and now i do all my own maintenance. I just wante to get that on the record for any warrenty issues i might have. I still have 1 more boating season for my 4 year warrenty but i have had 0 issues with my engine / trans.

Mikey
09-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Most of the above can easily be done by the average guy at a much cheeper cost if you are willing to take the time to research what MUST be done and what is really necessary. As mentioned above changing ,spark plugs ,distribution cap , running diagnostic test are not usually part of regular winterization etc but the rest can be done and some of that truely is not necessary. Changing oil,winterizing changing tranny fluid can be done for under 100.00 and likely include a new impeller for next season and summerizing basically is just putting the hoses and connections back together and flushing the antifreeze (if you use it) out of the motor. Then giving the boat and trailer a thorough once over tightening and checking evything possible including torqueing wheel nuts etc.